Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

After 35 years I can no longer support GM..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After 35 years I can no longer support GM..

I have heard plenty of horror stories about GM's poor customer Service and Now for the third vehicle they have screwed me so I am switching brands. Let me start by saying for 35 years my family has driven nothing but GM products and we are all never going to drive or own a GM again in our lives. This is a sad and hard decision but i cant support a business that wont help their customers out and are just plain ignorant.

Let me start with my old 2016 Denali that was just 4 months old and has 4800 miles on it. This truck was great until i found out i need a transmission. The truck is 100% stock and has never been abused in the slightest way. I took it to the dealer and GM tries to tell me that it wasnt a defective transmission and that it is normal for the truck to stay in a gear and run down the road at 5500rpm. for four gears my truck would ride down the road and just run at redline. I argued for a week about it with no luck or resolution except "this is normal operation". This is not normal and the issue was resolved by trading it on a Ram Cummins 2500.

Next up was back a few years to 21012. My sister-in-law has a 2010 Equinox piece of crap that was burning oil. It would consume a quart every 800-1000 miles. We took it to the dealer every time it ran low on oil to get the response "this is normal oil consumption, no oil analysis is needed." eventually after trying to get them to run an analysis for 8 months and complaining every time it burned oil they decided to run the tests. What do you know they found it was burning abnormal amounts of oil. about a week after the test the timing chains failed in the engine and needed replaced. I should add that the dealer did every oil change for this car since it was new. I had it towed to the dealer since the vehicle was still under warranty and the problem was caused by it always running low on oil. When we go to talk to them about the issue they tell us that we have to pay for the timing chain replacement and tried to come up with multiple excuses why. After getting nowhere with the dealer I call GM thinking I will get some help being a loyal customer who just wants his warranty honored. I was wrong. I was blown off and my emails were ignored by GM customer service. After 3 days of arguing they decide all of a sudden that the timing chains failed due to oil consumption. Well no crap! So they finally repair the car and we drive it home about 20 miles. The next morning my sister-in-law is driving to work and the check engine light comes on. When she gets it back home I checked the code and found a bad O2 sensor. When i looked at the front O2 sensor, the wires had melted to the exhaust which was the dealers fault since they had just worked on it the day before. I call the dealer and what do you know. They refuse to cover the O2 sensor so she bought a new one and I replaced it myself. While i was replacing it i found that there were 2 loose bolts that i had to tighten as well. Half-assed mechanics working on stuff. I am someone that does all my own work unless its warranty because I have found the way to do it right and avoid someone carelessly half-assing the job is to do it yourself. This car was sold shortly after. I have 2 other friends that had the same exact oil consumption issues out of the same vehicle and had the same trouble getting lazy *** GM to do something about it.

Now lets go back to 2008 when we bought a new loaded Saturn Outlook SUV. This car was the worst of them all. 31000 miles it had to have the transmission replaced. Take it to GM they try to say they arent gonna cover it. I went ballistic and that got covered. 45000 miles timing chains need replaced. This was a battle as well to get them to replace even after they told me it was a design flaw in the V6 engine my suv had. Over the course of owning the vehicle I had to take it to the dealer to get headlight bulbs replaced about once a month due to a defective short that happens in the wiring. Throughout owning this vehicle I took it to them 3 times and argued that my power steering pump was whining and something was wrong. Each time they told me that it is normal for a pump to whine and I asked if they were all retarded. A month after the 3rd time it went up finally and i replaced it myself. A month after that I receive a letter saying that there is a power steering pump recall due to excessive whining and wear. I brought this to my dealer and GM customer services attention to try and get my money reimbursed for the pump i just put in. I figured this would happen since a dealership had documentation that i was complaining about it and they had it on paper it was whining. Boy was I wrong. They told me they couldnt prove the pump was defective because I replaced it and the recall wasn't active at the time I did. At 63000 miles the suv was just out of 5 year warranty and the replaced timing chains were 2 years old. 2 years old with 18000 miles on them they stretch again and need replaced. I take it to Chevrolet and they tell me that 18000 miles is plenty of time for the chains to stretch and the warranty for that part is 15000 miles. I spent 2 months arguing with them and got nowhere. They wouldn't even offer to pay part of the repairs. When I called customer service I got a case and explained it all and the service representative tells me the part is out of warranty and there is nothing they can or will do. I ask to speak to someone above her like her boss and i get told that there is no one above her and the resolution stands. I said how can you as a representative be the highest ranking GM employee. I eventually got transferred to another representative but still not anyone higher up with any actual power.

For 3 separate vehicles GM has given me the run around, blew me off, had poor customer service and shown plain ignorance towards a family that bled bow-ties and now wont even drive one. I am sure to tell everyone I know about why they shouldn't ever buy a GM product. Its a waste of time and hard earned money. GM will never get another dollar of my money or anyone else in my family (this includes aunts, uncles, cousins, the whole family). They will also never get even another glance or positive thought from me. I hope GM reads this. It will be posted on several other forums as well as other websites. I was sure to leave poor reviews about The dealers I was dealing with as well. My cousin closed his GM tuning shop in MD and has started working on and racing another brand.

Last edited by a.burkins2010; 09-01-2016 at 07:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by a.burkins2010:
Chrisbequick (02-12-2022), Skiman (09-28-2021), Smithsonite (05-10-2022)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Was this all the same dealer?
The following users liked this post:
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Solution, buy a used GM.

Reason being that they are much much cheaper and I can fix them myself lol.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Cousin tuner quit doing it maybe because customers where not happy with his work,some good tuners are getting wealthy.Sounds like you gave GM to many chances and maybe should have moved on sooner.

GMs have been to good to my family and would be affraid to try anything else.Opinions vary
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Experience will vary depending on which dealer you go to, which service advisor you talk to, how you interact with them, etc. I won't try to tell you that you shouldn't be upset, but I will tell you to not be surprised when you experience the same or worse with the next brand. They'll all prone to it. For every brand out there you can find plenty of very unhappy customers getting very bad treatment from the dealer on vehicles in warranty.

Richard
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried 4 different GM dealers in the Baltimore area and all 4 had poor customer service. This is all my personal experience and I know this isn't the norm. My cousin had a lot of customers and had fast high horsepower cars. He has a 427 vette that runs a 10.7 n/a and a 850 rwhp gto procharged.

I wouldn't be so upset if they would work with me as a customer and help to find a solution. Especially when they tell me that most of the issues were because of their design flaws.

If I had a reputable dealer I would still be driving GM. My body shop experience was poor when they replaced my bed side and got over spray all over the doors of truck and I had 2 lemon law cars by them. Both times I got the run around with them. Ithe is all personal but if I am not treated right as a customer I won't continue to spend my money with them. Ashame because this was the year for a new duramax and a new suburban.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

While I can't comment on anything except the Saturn issue, I can sympathize.

The 2007-08 Acadia, Outlook and Enclave all have the issues that you have had. We experienced our transmission issue 13 months after we had bought it (used) and the powertrain warranty ended 1 month prior.

The Traverse didn't have any of the issues that the Acadia, Outlook and Enclave had because it didn't hit the market until 2009, after GM had fixed most, if not all of these defects.

$4700 later, we're back on the road. 2 years after that, I get a letter from GM about the transmission issue and literally, 1 day to provide paperwork for reimbursement.

When the transmission was replaced, the struts were ruined because of the vehicle being on the lift and the front wheels being extended. I ended up replacing them myself with Monroe Reflex on all 4 corners.

Our power steering pump whined as well. After reading/soul searching, I found where someone had posted a TSB about the whine. The fix is to flush the system with Dex6 (yep, synthetic trans fluid). I used a turkey baster with a small piece of vacuum line attached to it to empty the reservoir, refill, run the engine, turn the wheel lock to lock, turn the engine off, empty again, refill, rinse and repeat until the fluid is red. To this day, that pump doesn't whine.

GM knows about the issues with the 2007-08 LAMBDA platform but they aren't exactly being vocal about it and putting lifelong customers on the hook for their shitty engineering.

Like you, I was pissed about the transmission but it is my wife's vehicle and we couldn't be without it for long so we were forced to fix it.

The new transmission, solid as hell. It's even better after I adjusted a few things with HPT.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
GMs have been to good to my family and would be affraid to try anything else.Opinions vary
You have to be kidding? I would take ANY japanese brand passenger car over the best one gm offers. Literal pieces of ****.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Man i wish the dealer i work for would turn Way that much warranty work.... They go out of the way to fix the issues youre describing, 5500 rpm in 4th gear is not normal, and neither is oil comsumption.... Thats crap!!
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Solution, buy a used GM.

Reason being that they are much much cheaper and I can fix them myself lol.
On the ******* nose here! $16900 for my 08 Denali. Yeah lots is worn out, but parts are cheap and these things are easy to wrench on.

New GM? Nope.

Quick Reply: After 35 years I can no longer support GM..