Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR Removal

#1. I have a 2001 5.3L and was wondering if the EGR can be removed completely? What I mean by completely is that if I were to buy a set headers I wouldn't need to get them with A.I.R. Is this possible or is my only option the EGR mod?

#2. Another question, is there any proven hp gains from doing this mod?

#3. If I do this mod to my truck will I need LS1Edit to delete it from the pcm or will my truck run fine right after?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

EGR and A.I.R are two entirely different things. If you remove your EGR valve, you're going to get a check engine light. EGR is on the passenger side header and the A.I.R is on the driver side.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
EGR and A.I.R are two entirely different things. If you remove your EGR valve, you're going to get a check engine light. EGR is on the passenger side header and the A.I.R is on the driver side.
Sorry, I thought they were connected in some way. Could you explain to me what they both do? I was looking under the hood of my truck yesterday, acting like I new what I was doing, and I seen the EGR valve and some other stuff connected to it. Can all that be removed or does that have to stay there? Can A.I.R. be removed or modified in any way to help in performance?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can plug and remove them and delete the codes with LS1 Edit.
The following users liked this post:
LA FEA (06-17-2019)
Old 03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

on a 03 isnt the egr in the intake? that can be removed and blocked off right?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whitt1
You can plug and remove them and delete the codes with LS1 Edit.
So all the tubes and wiring can be removed for both EGR and A.I.R.? Would my truck run if I did this and not delete the codes?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

It can all be removed if you have edit or have someone remove it via programming. Mechanically, all you have to do is remove the hardware and block off the remaining ports. Although I am not from texas and we do not have emissions testing here. You may not pass visual with out them.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leochevy2001
Sorry, I thought they were connected in some way. Could you explain to me what they both do? I was looking under the hood of my truck yesterday, acting like I new what I was doing, and I seen the EGR valve and some other stuff connected to it. Can all that be removed or does that have to stay there? Can A.I.R. be removed or modified in any way to help in performance?
EGR will increase your fuel economy while cruising by replacing a portion of the air/fuel mixture with spent exhaust gasses. It is supposed to shut off at WOT so there should not be any performance enhancement to be had by disconnecting it. That said, it does gum up the intake with nasty soot from the exhaust, so by disconnecting it, you would receive some back door benefits once you cleaned all that gunk out.

A.I.R. pumps some clean air into the exhaust system in an attempt to burn off any unused fuel prior to reaching the cats. It also increases the efficiency of the cats by bringing them up to operating temp more quickly. With the exception of the small parasitic losses associated with running the pump, I do not think this one affects performance much at all.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, I got some great responses. I will probably leave it alone if I can't pass emissions without them. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leochevy2001
Thanks guys, I got some great responses. I will probably leave it alone if I can't pass emissions without them. Thanks again.
Only Cali trucks have A.I.R. Are you sure you have it. It shows your from Texas.

Quick Reply: EGR Removal