Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is better, H-pipe or X-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which is better, H-pipe or X-pipe?

Hey guys i would like to know which flows better, an H-pipe or an X-pipe? Also are you guys H & X pipes custom jobs from the local shops or are they a piece that can be ordered? And if so where from? Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seems I read somewhere that an X-pipe is more efficient for balancing exhaust pulses...especially at the higher revs. I don't recall seeing any listed on any of the sponsors sites but Heddman and Dynomax both offer kits. Jegs sells em'. A H-pipe welded in by your muffler shop would probably be sufficient if it's no longer than a foot between the two pipes and no further back than 18" from your collectors.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up Jeg's Kit

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Seems I read somewhere that an X-pipe is more efficient for balancing exhaust pulses...especially at the higher revs. I don't recall seeing any listed on any of the sponsors sites but Heddman and Dynomax both offer kits. Jegs sells em'. A H-pipe welded in by your muffler shop would probably be sufficient if it's no longer than a foot between the two pipes and no further back than 18" from your collectors.
Cool, i checked my Jegs catalog and found the kits. I think i might try one of those. Hopefully there is enough room under there without interfering with anything else. I appreciate the help, it was right under my nose.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I have been reading/hearing lately is that an X or H type pipe is really only enhancing on a system with equal length pipes. So with a truck's longer driver's side pipe, that's impossible to achieve. Has anyone seen any dyno results for one of these on a truck?

I know they work great on vette's, f-bodied, etc....cars.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up Hadn't thought about that

Originally Posted by BenKey
What I have been reading/hearing lately is that an X or H type pipe is really only enhancing on a system with equal length pipes. So with a truck's longer driver's side pipe, that's impossible to achieve. Has anyone seen any dyno results for one of these on a truck?

I know they work great on vette's, f-bodied, etc....cars.
Hey I'm glad u mentioned that, it does sorta make sense. It might be a good idea for me to run true duals with an X-pipe but with both pipes exiting on the passenger side. If nothing else it would be different. I might get angle cut pipes about 3" wide then have them come out at the corner of the rear passenger side. I'd get points for originallity anyways right?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rileyc8
Hey I'm glad u mentioned that, it does sorta make sense. It might be a good idea for me to run true duals with an X-pipe but with both pipes exiting on the passenger side. If nothing else it would be different. I might get angle cut pipes about 3" wide then have them come out at the corner of the rear passenger side. I'd get points for originallity anyways right?

like this?

Old 03-18-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Default Exactly like that!

Originally Posted by Deckhand
like this?

Love that exhaust. You're a man with good taste.

How's it sound?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

I would love to see some dyno info on X-pipe vs H-pipe or no crossover, because i was seriously thinking of doing an X-pipe my self.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rileyc8
Love that exhaust. You're a man with good taste.

How's it sound?
sounds good, its a quiet rumble at idle, and at WOT a throaty scream.

ASM Headers, no cats, x-pipe, and dual borla pro xs mufflers.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:36 AM
10 Second Truck Club

I own have my own exhaust shop so i have had my exhaust just about any way you can think of.With no equalizer pipe truck runs like crap, ruff idle vibrates shudders when you get on it.With an H pipe its better than nothing it runs and drives good has good power.With an X pipe its the best,the most power and the best sound engine is real smooth.When the truck made 511/491 it had 2 1/2 super turbos,it has 2 1/2 flo-pros on it now i was suprised at how much i like them cruising around they have a really deep tone and you can hear the cam more at idle and not a lot of drone.

Quick Reply: Which is better, H-pipe or X-pipe?