PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Which is better, H-pipe or X-pipe? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/better-h-pipe-x-pipe-150428/)

4.8PWR 03-17-2004 04:45 AM

Which is better, H-pipe or X-pipe?

Hey guys i would like to know which flows better, an H-pipe or an X-pipe? Also are you guys H & X pipes custom jobs from the local shops or are they a piece that can be ordered? And if so where from? Thanks for any input you may have. :headbang:

Buckwheat 03-17-2004 09:06 AM

Seems I read somewhere that an X-pipe is more efficient for balancing exhaust pulses...especially at the higher revs. I don't recall seeing any listed on any of the sponsors sites but Heddman and Dynomax both offer kits. Jegs sells em'. A H-pipe welded in by your muffler shop would probably be sufficient if it's no longer than a foot between the two pipes and no further back than 18" from your collectors.

4.8PWR 03-17-2004 12:43 PM

Jeg's Kit

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Seems I read somewhere that an X-pipe is more efficient for balancing exhaust pulses...especially at the higher revs. I don't recall seeing any listed on any of the sponsors sites but Heddman and Dynomax both offer kits. Jegs sells em'. A H-pipe welded in by your muffler shop would probably be sufficient if it's no longer than a foot between the two pipes and no further back than 18" from your collectors.

Cool, i checked my Jegs catalog and found the kits. I think i might try one of those. Hopefully there is enough room under there without interfering with anything else. I appreciate the help, it was right under my nose. :cheers:

BenKey 03-17-2004 01:14 PM

What I have been reading/hearing lately is that an X or H type pipe is really only enhancing on a system with equal length pipes. So with a truck's longer driver's side pipe, that's impossible to achieve. Has anyone seen any dyno results for one of these on a truck?

I know they work great on vette's, f-bodied, etc....cars.

4.8PWR 03-18-2004 12:26 AM

Hadn't thought about that

Originally Posted by BenKey
What I have been reading/hearing lately is that an X or H type pipe is really only enhancing on a system with equal length pipes. So with a truck's longer driver's side pipe, that's impossible to achieve. Has anyone seen any dyno results for one of these on a truck?

I know they work great on vette's, f-bodied, etc....cars.

Hey I'm glad u mentioned that, it does sorta make sense. It might be a good idea for me to run true duals with an X-pipe but with both pipes exiting on the passenger side. If nothing else it would be different. I might get angle cut pipes about 3" wide then have them come out at the corner of the rear passenger side. I'd get points for originallity anyways right? :rock:

Deckhand 03-18-2004 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by rileyc8
Hey I'm glad u mentioned that, it does sorta make sense. It might be a good idea for me to run true duals with an X-pipe but with both pipes exiting on the passenger side. If nothing else it would be different. I might get angle cut pipes about 3" wide then have them come out at the corner of the rear passenger side. I'd get points for originallity anyways right? :rock:

like this? ;)

http://s92490305.onlinehome.us//exhaust/exhaust22.jpg

4.8PWR 03-18-2004 01:00 AM

Exactly like that!

Originally Posted by Deckhand

Love that exhaust. You're a man with good taste. :cheers:

How's it sound?

SuperSporttruck 03-18-2004 02:01 AM

I would love to see some dyno info on X-pipe vs H-pipe or no crossover, because i was seriously thinking of doing an X-pipe my self.

Deckhand 03-18-2004 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by rileyc8
Love that exhaust. You're a man with good taste. :cheers:

How's it sound?

sounds good, its a quiet rumble at idle, and at WOT a throaty scream.

ASM Headers, no cats, x-pipe, and dual borla pro xs mufflers.

CurtD 03-18-2004 07:36 AM

I own have my own exhaust shop so i have had my exhaust just about any way you can think of.With no equalizer pipe truck runs like crap, ruff idle vibrates shudders when you get on it.With an H pipe its better than nothing it runs and drives good has good power.With an X pipe its the best,the most power and the best sound engine is real smooth.When the truck made 511/491 it had 2 1/2 super turbos,it has 2 1/2 flo-pros on it now i was suprised at how much i like them cruising around they have a really deep tone and you can hear the cam more at idle and not a lot of drone. :cheers: