Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what I'll need to replace the Rear wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are probably TTY (tork to yield) bolts and thats why you replace them. Auto Zone and others have the tool rental, see if they have a slide hammer?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, man. Not sure if my diagnosis was correct anymore. I have the whole rear end in the air, wheels, rakes and differential cover off. Turns out that I don't have that much movement in the rear hubs to begin with as I originally though. Was mostly the brakes making noise when moving the tire. Both wheel bearings seem to have the same amount of movement. I wouldn't consider it normal, but they both have the same small amount.

You guys tell me what you think. At this point I'm either wrong on my diagnosis or both rear wheel bearings are evenly bad. Both rear hubs seem to move side to side/up and down by a fraction a millimeter. It's very very minimal, but it's clear that there is SOME movement. I'm also getting about 1 millimeter of movement when pushing in/pulling out the wheel assembly. I couldn't feel this originally as the brakes were installed and were preventing the inwards/outwards movement.

And here's something else, not sure if this means anything. Although I replaced the differential fluid 6 months ago, the fluid had a very very strong smell of burn which i don't remember smelling in previous changes. Despite that, there were absolutely no metal particles in the fluid.

So, are both my bearings bad, is something else in the differential setup bad or does everything seem normal? I don't want to spend half a day and 200$ worth of parts replacing the bearings if that's not the prob. Because if it's not, i'm going to need that 200$ to save up on replacing whatever other component is bad. lol