Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5" catback on 5.3 too big?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC_kid
Well that is part of the conversation too... I have Thorley Tri-y's going on also. I know people say the small primaries suck, but that's what I have for now. Not installed yet, but the idea is that they will help with low/mid range torque.
Also, I want a quiet setup, so a stock muffler may get me that. Does the 6.2 muffler flow better than the 5.3?

I'm in Lenexa, near Oak Park Mall, basically OP. And I wish I was Area47 tuned!
right on man, we are basically neighbors. i live right by the johnson county library off 87th st.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Area47 does an awesome job. He retuned my truck after i got screwed by a well known tuner (added 2 degrees of timing and called it a day). Runs like a damn champ now. Ill be going back to him again before next summer after i get my heads, cam, whipple, and nitrous hooked up
Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I ran a 4" catback on my truck when it was bone stock w/o a tune and it made a tremendous difference in a positive way. At the time, I was working in deep East Texas and there was a large grade hill coming out of town. With the cruise control set on 70 mph, it would have to down shift going up the the hill when it was bone stock. I did the 4" cat back and zero other mods. That week leaving town, set cruise at 70 mph and pulled the hill with no problem and no downshift. So the loss of "down low power" is horse ****.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's nearly impossible to lose low end power from too big of an exhaust. Having said that, if you just throw a 4" in place of a 3 without tuning, it may affect the Afr enough to "not be in the sweet spot" anymore and make your ignition timing less effective. But with a proper tune, a larger exhaust will make more power. Let's say your engine makes best power around 12.8:1 Afr, you throw the exhaust on and it leans out to 13.1 or 13.2, you may sacrifice torque for peak horsepower. But you retune to get Afr back into the 12.8:1 range, it will make more power. These number are purely exemplary.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
I ran a 6.2 stock catback on my 2011 5.3/6spd. Dynoed 315 tune and catback only with a K&n drop in filter. Stock y and cats. I did this swap literally the first day from picking the truck up from the dealer...
Can you tell me how much work it is to get the 6.2 catback installed on a 5.3 truck? Do the hangers line up? Just curious if I need to get a muffler shop involved or I can do it in the driveway. I know that I'll need to have them make a final connection since the two pipe sized won't line up, I assume anyway.