FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Towing with a Supercharged 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a Supercharged 6.0

Hello.
I've been lurking here for a while and thought I would join to get some feedback on what I've been considering.
I've found a lot of useful info here offering a considerable wealth of information, so I'm sure good advice can be had.
I know many of you are into street performance, but I'm most interested in performance gains for towing. I know my heavy 2500HD is never going to be quick, but think it could rival all of those Duramax rigs out there.
I also know that I won't be getting preached at by the oil burners here

Based on my signature description of my truck, it's reasonably stock, but recently tuned by Jarrad @ Black Bear. My hope was that I could get the ~10% increase in HP and torque with just a traditional tune. Proof will be next spring when I start tugging my pull toy again. My Heavy Chevy did a respectable job towing our 5er already, but we all know that more power for acceleration and gradeability is a plus.

What I'm thinking about is getting a Magnuson TVS1900 kit mounted with no other mods. Everything I have read and heard is that my stock LQ4 is just what this kit was designed for. One of the coolest things is that it would result in a pretty unique truck - something not many others have.
I've spoken with a performance engine shop here in the area. They are a Magnuson dealer and have a lot of experience with supercharger installs. They would also be able to dyno test and tune for the best performance.

What do you all think of this setup and the resulting gains in power? Can I expect the durability I need?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

First off, welcome to the site. Glad to see you decided to join!

Power with the maggie 1900 will come on quick and it will come on hard. It will be exactly what you need. The good news about a magnacharger is that if you do get bit my the mod bug the changes you would make would only increase your towing performance.

Things like a small blower cam, headers to help it breathe... all of it. You can continue to pulley down and grab more from the blower. The more you pulley down and increase boost the quicker it comes in off the bottom. The 1900 potential surprises me all the time...

Specifically for towing I would probably not go crazy with the boost. 8 LBS or so would do the trick and give you plenty of power on tap. On a stock motor the 3.2 pulley would probably put you close.

If you havent already I would do some small mods to your trans. The 4L80e is very capable, but it does need just a few tweaks. I would make sure you have a good cooler, and add a performance shift kit like the HD2 or sonnax. It will drasticly improve your transmissions longevity with the added low end tq and weight you pull.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Something like that would be perfect on your truck, I am local to you and have done many cam swaps and other types of LS installs. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:40 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S/C 6.0 is a good setup, but don't expect the same performance out of it that you'd get from the dmax. Been there, towed with both, and the dmax wins hands down.

If you're after a reliable tow rig, install the blower kit and leave it alone. It is a great kit on a stock motor, reliable and good power gains. If you get crazy and start bumping the power up beyond that it can get expensive quickly. A shift kit in the 80E wouldn't be a bad idea as stated above.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tow with a procharger typically around 8000-9500lbs
I run 12 psi at max rpm on my 5.3 on my lowest power setting I'm at 500/505

I've not needed to power as early as the PD would give you, my boost comes in as rpms rise so around 3000-3500 pulling hills it does just fine.

I pull a 26' v nose enclosed trailer

You'll be fine with a boosted 6.0 but mpg will suffer
Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive said it once and i'll say it again. for reliability, usable power, and a great system you Cannot beat Magancharger.

I have a kit on my CCSB 1500, and tow frequently. Its night and day difference. Part throttle power and delivery is exceptional, and makes a HUGE difference in how it performs. I rarely take my truck over 4000rpm, but the Power it make under that is night and day compared to how it was stock with exhaust and a tune
Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see you joined Norm. There is a ton of good info here.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunder550
S/C 6.0 is a good setup, but don't expect the same performance out of it that you'd get from the dmax. Been there, towed with both, and the dmax wins hands down.

If you're after a reliable tow rig, install the blower kit and leave it alone. It is a great kit on a stock motor, reliable and good power gains. If you get crazy and start bumping the power up beyond that it can get expensive quickly. A shift kit in the 80E wouldn't be a bad idea as stated above.
That is exactly what I need to hear. I'm not interested in a 700+hp monster that needs all kinds of additional mods to handle the power.

Originally Posted by black6spdz
Something like that would be perfect on your truck, I am local to you and have done many cam swaps and other types of LS installs. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.
Good to hear from another local.
I have spoken with Baker Engineering and am thinking they should do the install. That way they can give it fine tune as well and stand behind it. Do you have any experience with them, or is there anyone else I should talk to over here?

Good comments all, and much appreciated.
Everything points to having success and great results with the TVS1900 setup on my rig.
The only concern at this point is the trans. I've heard great things about the 4L80E, and I did look into the HD2 upgrade. Not sure it's really necessary if the torque management is properly tuned. Black Bear tweaked it already, but there mat still be fine tuning needed after a blower install. I'm relatively easy on my equipment. Most times the higher hp demands will be when the trans is locked down anyway. I am wondering what the cost would be to beef up the trans by a reputable shop. Many here have these upgrades listed in their sigs. I'm interested in knowing more about these too.
What I did learn is that a lot of guys (including the Oklahoma City 405 guys on Street Outlaws) use these transmissions on their street racers. If you haven't seen this show on Discovery, I highly recommend it

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

4L80e's are very common on this site, they are a great trans.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tj at Baker will take very good care of you. Very reputable shop, I met them at Ls fest a couple of years ago.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Supercharged 6.0