PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   WEAPONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/weapons-198/)
-   -   Your gun "to-do" list for 2012 (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/weapons-198/your-gun-do-list-2012-a-495679/)

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 06:24 PM

Your gun "to-do" list for 2012

What are you wanting to get or do to your current guns this year?

I bought the 45 5.25 competition that Ive wanted for a while a couple weeks ago
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMAG0452-1.jpg
Tungsten guide rod, 20# recoil spring, tungsten mag release, PRP match trigger and possibly a compensator.
On the XDSC 40 on the bottom I want to get a tungsten guide rod for it to help with recoil and thats about it.

Springfield is coming out with an XDs 45 which is a slim version that would be great for concealed carry so Ill be picking one of those up at some point in time for an IWB SOB holster. I still want to get a XDm 45 compact 3.8 though for OWB carry during the winter though. Theyre nice ass guns and pretty nicely priced.

On the S&W 500 I want to get one of these sights
Leupold || DeltaPoint Reflex Sight
and see what it will do some pigs :D
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...1/IMAG0098.jpg

Id like to talk my dad into getting one of these for me to play with sometime this year :devil:
http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFil...3/80710384.png

Atomic 01-22-2012 06:25 PM

Start my collection. Any suggestions for a good carry pistol for a beginner?

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 06:46 PM

For concealed carry or target?
How do you want to carry it?
In side the waistband or outside the waistband?
Do you like to tuck in your shirts?
Do you wear tight or loose shirts?
How big are you?
Are you a good shot?
Whats your price range?
Preference of polymer or steel frame?

I know thats a lot of questions but theyre necessary to get you closer to what you want.

texasglock23 01-22-2012 06:51 PM

Go to a range, rent as many as you can. Purchase a quality holster and belt, cheap out and hate yourself!

I have a couple things I want for my AR still, forward grip, new stock.

Purchase a 1911 finally.

TIM Z 01-22-2012 06:58 PM

I think for a beginner or anyone who wants to carry a compact 1911 style .380 is a great choice.

My wish list this year is above, a compact .380,

And prob another Colt .45 1911 Gold cup if i find a nice one.

I also would like to check out the new springfields, ive heard they are great shooting guns.

Haha Cody funny you bring up that 50 cal, a guy brought one to our CC class for " show and tell" . That thing was a beast, too big for my hands and im not small, But we had a man there that was 6'7'' and 300 #, it looked like a snub nose 38 in his hand LOL. He let us all shoot it, i didnt hit shit cept the ground haha. But it is one awe inspiring weapon for sure.

Atomic 01-22-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 (Post 4852276)
For concealed carry or target?
How do you want to carry it?
In side the waistband or outside the waistband?
Do you like to tuck in your shirts?
Do you wear tight or loose shirts?
How big are you?
Are you a good shot?
Whats your price range?
Preference of polymer or steel frame?

I know thats a lot of questions but theyre necessary to get you closer to what you want.

- it will probably stay in my truck/house most of the time, but for the times I want it on me probably on my belt
- outside probably
- yes
- i wear shirts that fit, so that would probably be considered tight
- 6' about 250
- pretty good yea
- lets say $500 which i think is reasonable for a first gun
- no preference

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TIM Z (Post 4852291)
I think for a beginner or anyone who wants to carry a compact 1911 style .380 is a great choice.

My wish list this year is above, a compact .380,

And prob another Colt .45 1911 Gold cup if i find a nice one.

I also would like to check out the new springfields, ive heard they are great shooting guns.

Haha Cody funny you bring up that 50 cal, a guy brought one to our CC class for " show and tell" . That thing was a beast, too big for my hands and im not small, But we had a man there that was 6'7'' and 300 #, it looked like a snub nose 38 in his hand LOL. He let us all shoot it, i didnt hit shit cept the ground haha. But it is one awe inspiring weapon for sure.

My S&W 500 is a 50call and packs more punch than the AE50 but its a semi auto and looks cool so I want it :D

IMO a 380 is a crappy round, doesnt carry very much ass behind it at all. WIth the newer pistols you can get larger calibers in the same size frame, no reason not get a larger cliber IMO. The new XDs 45 is going to be badass for bang-for-the-buck. 500 bucks, 45acp, the size of a subcompact pistol but 50% thinner.
XD-S - Springfield Armory USA

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 4852295)
- it will probably stay in my truck/house most of the time, but for the times I want it on me probably on my belt
- outside probably
- yes
- i wear shirts that fit, so that would probably be considered tight
- 6' about 250
- pretty good yea
- lets say $500 which i think is reasonable for a first gun
- no preference

Really the only option for carrying with a tucked in shirt is a crossbreed supertuck
Crossbreed SuperTuck - Untucked & Tucked - YouTube
WIth that holster you can carry whatever you want really. Id recommend an xdm 45 3.8 compact or the new xds 45 thats coming out in March. I dont really know much about the glocks as theyve never shot as comfortably for me.

texasglock23 01-22-2012 07:47 PM

I have two .380's, and with a nice HP I don't hesitate to carry them. Most cases in which you will need a CCW will be in such a close proximity that a .380 will do the trick, and do it well. I own three of the smaller calibers. I change from this, the 9mm and .40 S&W. As soon as I get the 1911 I will have one more round to choose from.

Beatdown Z 01-22-2012 07:51 PM

Just want to shoot mine more often. Try and get my family and friends to the range with me. I think it'd be cool to teach my mom and little sister's how to shoot a firearm...

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by texasglock23 (Post 4852321)
I have two .380's, and with a nice HP I don't hesitate to carry them. Most cases in which you will need a CCW will be in such a close proximity that a .380 will do the trick, and do it well. I own three of the smaller calibers. I change from this, the 9mm and .40 S&W. As soon as I get the 1911 I will have one more round to choose from.

380 has HALF the kinetic energy of a 45. Personally I want as much power as I can get in a reasonably sized package, I might not have a chance to get a second shot...

texasglock23 01-22-2012 08:30 PM

But show me a 45 that is a true pocket carry...something is better than nothing, and I prefer to carry a pocket pistol when it is really hot out or when I gain too much weight and no longer can carry IWB.

And not everyone carries a 45, so compare the .380 to 9mm, yes, it is different, but not by enough to convince me that it won't do the job. Not gonna argue on calibers, just stating my opinion, just like in the knife thread. Ballistics done on a good HP in .380 are good enough. People die from .22, shot placement is everything, not caliber.

00ChevyScott 01-22-2012 08:37 PM

My list

1. Get my CHL
2. Get a carry gun (my xd40sc is a little big for me to carry comfortably I think)
3. Get a 1911 (probably a Rock Island because it's something I can afford)
4. Some sort of optic for my AR15 (Eotech or Aimpoint)
5. Figure out why my AK74 is having problems with cartridges sticking in the chamber
6. Anything else I can afford lol

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 08:38 PM

I wear jeans that fit so pocket carry isnt an option for me. There are plenty of 45 options that are very small a light. Hell the new XDs is damn there the same size as the ruger LC9 that everyone loves to pocket carry. It is heavier but again I dont pocket carry. There are plenty of accounts where a LEO unloaded multiple rounds of 9mm into a person and they kept coming, 380 is an even more anemic round. No thanks. Just personal preference. Something is most definitely better than nothing, but if youre going to carry it might as well pack some real punch IMO. Keep your ass on the treadmill and you wont have to worry about not being able to carry IWB.

00ChevyScott 01-22-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 (Post 4852364)
I wear jeans that fit so pocket carry isnt an option for me. There are plenty of 45 options that are very small a light. Hell the new XDs is damn there the same size as the ruger LC9 that everyone loves to pocket carry. It is heavier but again I dont pocket carry. There are plenty of accounts where a LEO unloaded multiple rounds of 9mm into a person and they kept coming, 380 is an even more anemic round. No thanks. Just personal preference. Something is most definitely better than nothing, but if youre going to carry it might as well pack some real punch IMO. Keep your ass on the treadmill and you wont have to worry about not being able to carry IWB.

My only reservation with IWB carry is my clothing style. I wear T-shirts and Jeans basically 365. Many of them are short shirts, short enough that if I bend over enough you'd easily be able to see I was carrying. I'll be out of college soon so wearing nicer clothes will probably help a lot in that department though. I've started to buy a little larger waist jeans in preparation for IWB carry as well.

zeake 01-22-2012 08:48 PM

Hmm. Gun wise this year.... . I don't know. Depends on what walks out in the front door.

TIM Z 01-22-2012 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by texasglock23 (Post 4852354)
But show me a 45 that is a true pocket carry...something is better than nothing, and I prefer to carry a pocket pistol when it is really hot out or when I gain too much weight and no longer can carry IWB.

And not everyone carries a 45, so compare the .380 to 9mm, yes, it is different, but not by enough to convince me that it won't do the job. Not gonna argue on calibers, just stating my opinion, just like in the knife thread. Ballistics done on a good HP in .380 are good enough. People die from .22, shot placement is everything, not caliber.

I agree with this.

Not trying to turn the thread into a caliber war either.

But the uninformed people here that are novice beginner carriers ( LOL), Need to decide for themselves what " Feels" comfortble for them, then shoot, shoot , shoot the hell out of that weapon and get that comfortable feeling, thats most important, not the size of the gun.

Also there are some compact 3.5'' ( IIRC) 45. 1911 models that are easier to conceal.

When i first got my CC , i had bought a S&W 1911 stainless .45, I saw it and fell in love with it, took my class with it, and im very accurate with it. This bieng said its a terrible carry gun! Too big to hide comfortably, but not bad enough to put in a coat pocket or your truck console. I also keep a ruger snub nose speed 6 .357 revolver in my truck. Good enough for close range protection.

Im posting this in mind again for the novice/person looking for CC options.

I do like the compact .380 for CC and the compact .40 's are a great option also .

Oh and my CC instuctor wears a fanny pack to carry his gun, he's a bigger guy and it gives him instant access to his protection .

Now back OT! I forgot i'm also going to be purchasing a Kimber .45 1911, man they are georgous handguns that shoot nice! I like the black and polished model, gotta find a pic......

texasglock23 01-22-2012 08:57 PM

Dont you get all informative on my when I am trying to follow Shameless on TV!

texasglock23 01-22-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 (Post 4852364)

There are cases where .40 didn't work, as many departments mainly use this round. Same with .45, people have been shot in the head with multiple calibers, shotguns etc...that shit is too rare to try to use as an argument, and many of those are people under the influence of heavy narcotics!

New xd the same size as LC9? I guess I will need to look into that, haven't seen that!

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 09:17 PM

I'm an engineer by trade so I have a hard time dismissing physics in regards to caliber. I think bullet design is more important than caliber but after that kinetic energy is very close. 1911 frames in general very heavy, even being a single stack configuration. Obviously comfort is the most important that's why its best to shoot many different guns and see what comfortable. The XD line feels comfortable to me, we will see how the xds feels since it will be narrower.

00ChevyScott 01-22-2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 (Post 4852418)
I'm an engineer by trade so I have a hard time dismissing physics in regards to caliber. I think bullet design is more important than caliber but after that kinetic energy is very close. 1911 frames in general very heavy, even being a single stack configuration. Obviously comfort is the most important that's why its best to shoot many different guns and see what comfortable. The XD line feels comfortable to me, we will see how the xds feels since it will be narrower.

As long as it feels better than the LC9 I'll be happy. I was hoping to love that gun but after holding it I don't think I can bring myself to buy it. Did not like how the grip felt at all.

TX Tahoe Z71 01-22-2012 10:11 PM

For 2012, more sporting clays and pistol range. Maybe pick up a .38 or .357 to stay in the truck.

What do y'all keep in your truck, assuming you aren't CCL.

texasglock23 01-22-2012 10:15 PM

I don't keep anything in my truck, too afraid of it getting stolen along with the truck.

But if Texas would pass something so that I could at least leave one in my vehicle on campus I would put a lock box and a gun in there, or purchase a very cheap 12 gauge or small caliber handgun to toss in it.

00ChevyScott 01-22-2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by texasglock23 (Post 4852471)
I don't keep anything in my truck, too afraid of it getting stolen along with the truck.

But if Texas would pass something so that I could at least leave one in my vehicle on campus I would put a lock box and a gun in there, or purchase a very cheap 12 gauge or small caliber handgun to toss in it.

You can have a weapon in your vehicle on campus. It may or may not be against your schools rules, but I don't think there is anything they can do legally. I've looked it up quite a few times and it states that parking lots on college campuses are fair game.

1slow01Z71 01-22-2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71 (Post 4852470)
For 2012, more sporting clays and pistol range. Maybe pick up a .38 or .357 to stay in the truck.

See below

Originally Posted by texasglock23 (Post 4852471)

About the only time I keep another gun in the truck is when Im going hunting, other than that Im afraid it will grow legs and walk off.

00ChevyScott 01-22-2012 10:31 PM

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapons listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or education institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Premises are defined under PC §46.035 subsection (f):

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

texasglock23 01-22-2012 10:46 PM

But isn't it their right to post a sign, even if it is not a 30.06, and state no firearms allowed?

00ChevyScott 01-22-2012 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by texasglock23 (Post 4852502)
But isn't it their right to post a sign, even if it is not a 30.06, and state no firearms allowed?

Not if its a public institution. They may have rules against it but it wouldn't be illegal.

Btw I am in no way a legal expert. I very well may be wrong but I know people who conceal carry and disarm in parking lot before class and rearm after class.

AKlowriderZ71 01-22-2012 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71 (Post 4852470)

We didn't go target shooting at all last summer. That's gonna change this year. Planning on a caribou hunt, a duck hunt, and plenty of target practice.

I carry a S&W 44 mag in the truck, and Tonya carries my S&W 357 mag in the Yukon. We carry when we go hiking or camping. Mostly for bears.

nonnieselman 01-23-2012 12:58 AM

Has anybody ever been in a high stress situation?
Ive been in two and there is no time to think nor any time to hesitate. Adrenaline is flowing and your thoughts are gone, everything you had planned out in your head is gone and all those things you thought you would do are no where to be found ;)

The absolute very first thing you have to think about is are you actually ready to carry that responsibility to actually use your weapon to protect your self even if it means taking a life? Its not something everybody can do.

Then no matter what your using, you better get very fimilar with it, learn everything about it and memorize it like the scars on your hands.

Get ready to start shooting. 10-15 yds is a good distance to practice. If you can keep all your hits anywhere on that plate then thats good. Then move in to 5 yds and get a good muscle memory, start with using your sights for center hits. Then get use to very fast reflexive shooting using muscle memory. Its not something your gonna learn in one day or afternoon at the range. It takes time and alot of practice!

I always have dummy loads mixed in with my practice ammo. Dont look at your mags or cylinders when you load them. Now practice jam and malfunction clearing.

It is really nice knowing how to clear a problem with muscle memory and not having to think.

Find some range local that does competition shooting. Uspsa, ipsc, or icore. Any good bunch of shooting folks will take you under their wings and guide you.
Even if you can only make it to a match every few months, its a nice learning experience.
Getting to run and gun gives you a good chance to learn what to do when adrenline starts pumping cause that plan you just come up with after watching another shooter run the course goes bye bye when the buzzer goes off.

Caliber doesnt matter much if you cant shoot a 45 worth a flip but are very accurate with a 380. Thats where shot placement comes in into play.
Using LEOs as an example about in a caliber debate isnt good. Majority of LEOs are absolutely pathetic at shootin to any kinda degree of accuracly.
Ive seen a local swat team get embarassed by a 12yr old girl using a factory 1911 45 single stack at a match. They couldnt hit the human size silhouttes at 25yds with their fancy tricked out glocks. And this girl was cleaning the targets with all 'A' hits in very fast time.

With all that jibberish being said i love my XD SC .40. I carry it everyday in a crossbreed holster at 4 Oclock. I wear everything from button ups, to polo shirts, to regular ole tshirts. It hides good. I can draw and have the sights lined up when i open my eyes. Muscle memory and your natural point of aim comes into play. Glocks point high for me and SW MP points low. 1911s and XDs point natural for me.

Ive carried a Ruger LCP 380 and hated it, carried it in a crossbreed, it wore good and hide very well but It wasnt comfortable to shoot and ammo was silly expensive when i had it. So i sold it and got the Ruger LCR 38spl And a crossbreed holster. It was better than the LCP but the hogue grip stuck to my shirts and was constantly checking to see if my shirt had stuck behind it and printing so i always went back to carrying my XDSC 40.
Traded the LCR for a 1911 and havent looked back yet. The 1911 fits in my Xd crossbreed holster.

:D
My 2012 plans are more powder, bullet, primers, and build more guns.
I shot 320rds of 308, 250rds 223, 75rds 270, 200rds 45, 100rds 40 in 2 days. My shoulder and collar bone is bruised pretty good. But i had a ton of fun and reloaded all week to do it all over again this next weekend.

Im building a 24" AR in 5.56 for 600yd F-Class and hipower service rifle matchs. Its gonna closely resemble the MK12 DMR. But with a very long handguard to mount iron sights so i can legally shoot in the 200yd HP match. Hoping i can get the 80gr Amax to group good for F-Class and the 52gr NCC for 200 yd HP match.

Besides that, im saving up to build a house ;)

SHOOT WHATS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU

AKlowriderZ71 01-23-2012 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman (Post 4852553)
Has anybody ever been in a high stress situation?

Only one time ever. Things happen really fast.

texasglock23 01-23-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4852515)
Not if its a public institution. They may have rules against it but it wouldn't be illegal.

Btw I am in no way a legal expert. I very well may be wrong but I know people who conceal carry and disarm in parking lot before class and rearm after class.

as do I :engarde:

Just would suck to be wrong, and believe you were in the right.

Been in high stress, no fuck that, I have had a gun pointed at my face, and told to get out of my car...which I didn't. Lucky for me, the tupac wannabe wasn't brave enough to shoot me in front of 5 witnesses, who I might add, just stood there and watched until he walked way. And even then, they didn't attempt to help. I was 18.

06Sierra2 01-23-2012 03:22 PM

plans are to re-apply for my ccl (i was denied once already :emb:) and possibly mod my G19. Also start stocking up on large quanities of ammo in case the zombies come and maybe pick up a 45 for winter carry(if i get approved later this year since it will have been 5 years since my last conviction)

pewterliftedz 01-24-2012 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 (Post 4852299)
Really the only option for carrying with a tucked in shirt is a crossbreed supertuck

a cody theres a company out of arlington called "white hat holsters" that makes the same holsters for 10 bucks cheaper.

I plan on building a custom 30-06, It pushes a 150 grain accubond at 3500fps.
The original plan was to build a 4000fps 6mm rem, but it is going to built out of my custom 7-08 that shoots to dam good to tear down yet hah
also will be purchasing a 9mm double stack 1911 as a target/range gun(9mm is just so much cheaper to practice with and I have a Glock 22 for open carry) .
hopefully this year i will finally get my CHL so that i can "legally" carry my bodyguard .38 i purchased last year. I also want to try out a hybrid holster to carry my glock 22 around.

Maybe build up a 10/22 if i can ever find one cheap, all the used ones i find are priced at retail lol.

krambo 01-24-2012 07:19 AM

I need different optics for my Ruger SR-556. Just never seem to get it done.

nonnieselman 01-24-2012 07:58 AM

how in the world do you plan on taking a 30-06 150gr to 3500fps? thats a 600fps gain from a 24" test barrel..

nonnieselman 01-24-2012 08:03 AM

what you use your rifle for?
i absolutly love my Aimpoint m2

1slow01Z71 01-24-2012 08:59 AM

I think I'd like to add an AR to the arsenal in 308 this year too but holy shit there is so much crap out there I don't know where to start but it ought to be fun for piggys. Also maybe fix up my 10/22 :hmmm:

nonnieselman 01-24-2012 09:32 AM

build one.. they are fun.

1slow01Z71 01-24-2012 10:10 AM

Don't know where to start to be honest. The info for AR builds is a bit overwhelming, well that and I don't have any money right now. After I get some crap taken care of in the next couple months my expendable income will be much higher. How much would I be looking at to build a good one. This will probably be my only AR build so I'd like to do it right. It will stay open sight or red dot so it'll be good for night shooting.

00ChevyScott 01-24-2012 10:18 AM

I'd say a .308 AR will easily run you $1200+ just for the rifle itself, if you build it.

I love my AR, very comfortable to shoot. Although it is just a 5.56/.223.