WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Why would anyone want one of those plastic lowers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

updated pic

matching magpul FDE pistol grip and MS3 sling on the way
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I took one of those ultra cool instagram pics

I weight the gun without the mag and it is 7.0lbs on the dot, with a 20 round mag it is 7.4 pounds...my other built is 9.0lb and 9.5lbs but not really similar parts
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know why but I can't get into AR's maybe because I ate, slept, and crapped with an M16 hanging off me for so long? Same with AK's, I've had the business end of those things staring at me too many times.

I do have an SKS I built but built it to hunt pigs with. Seems like most of the guns I've bought lately are old... almost collectible.

Just got a very low serial # Rem Model 61 pump .22 last night. I've wanted one forever

The AR stuff these days is neat. Lots of gadgets and add-ons I never got to play with but something about them just doesn't blow my skirt up like a lot of guns

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 11-24-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I don't know why but I can't get into AR's maybe because I ate, slept, and crapped with an M16 hanging off me for so long? Same with AK's, I've had the business end of those things staring at me too many times.

I do have an SKS I built but built it to hunt pigs with. Seems like most of the guns I've bought lately are old... almost collectible.

Just got a very low serial # Rem Model 61 pump .22 last night. I've wanted one forever

The AR stuff these days is neat. Lots of gadgets and add-ons I never got to play with but something about them just doesn't blow my skirt up like a lot of guys

A lot of guys blow your skirt up?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The AR platform has came a long way in the last few years. I remember when AR's were laughed at when guys were wanting them to be mainstream hunting weapons. Now they are used quite a bit, will they ever replace a bolt action remington, savage, weatherby, or winchester, no. But I am impressed with what many guys are doing with their guns.

I got into them due to the versatility. I had a really nice Model 70 chambered in .270wssm, it was just an odd round and expensive. I got a good trade on it, so I took it. Nabbed a 6.8 for hunting, and never got a chance to really do anything, and the cost to shoot was more than I wanted. Now I am in .223 wylde and hopefully next season I will be on a lease, and will do another 6.8 for hunting purposes only.

This one pictured above I did for my wife, she expressed interest in one, she loves the whole zombie craze, so why not? I got to do something I enjoy, gift it to her as a gift, and enjoy it myself.

One day I'll build that 700 I've always wanted. Maybe a 300 win or something.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Erik... Eh, you moved farther north so not near as often as it used to happen...

No, I really see why people get into them, I seriously do. I wish I enjoyed them more myself. I know the technology that's out now is light years ahead of what I carried, even the M4 stuff. I'm glad to see someone shooting no matter who or what. We need more people in the hobby any way we can get them. I currently hunt with a Rem 700 in .270 and I love it. I'd love to put it in a more stable thumb-hole type stock after hunting season this yr. The 3-9x40 Nikon will be going on my new 10/22 and I'll be mounting the new 50mm Ziess on my .270.

I'd still like to build an AR platform for hunting and longish range bigger game, probably a long bull barrel setup in .308. But that'll happen after I build the .220 swift for varmint hunting I've always wanted.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deer/hog/critter hunt with one of my AR's. its the one thats right beside my bed right now.
Basically a Delton kit gun but with a Daniel Defense CHF M4 barrel thats 7 twist, it does .4MOA with 77gr goodness and .5MOA with 40gr blasters.

Only reason i got i to them is just easy to change calibers and stuff. Throw in a fast twist barrel and you got a good hunting rifle but still shoot the lil light weight 40gr stuff good for critters plus thats what i have in it right now, 40gr Vmax. Nasty on soft tissue but wont go thru a wall.

Ive got 4 M4's, 1 midweight 16" 6.8apc, and a 24" 5.56.
Ive got a bunch of other bolt guns and stuff but ill grab my 7twist rifle over any of them.
Oh and i ordered another one them barrels.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Erik... Eh, you moved farther north so not near as often as it used to happen...

No, I really see why people get into them, I seriously do. I wish I enjoyed them more myself. I know the technology that's out now is light years ahead of what I carried, even the M4 stuff. I'm glad to see someone shooting no matter who or what. We need more people in the hobby any way we can get them. I currently hunt with a Rem 700 in .270 and I love it. I'd love to put it in a more stable thumb-hole type stock after hunting season this yr. The 3-9x40 Nikon will be going on my new 10/22 and I'll be mounting the new 50mm Ziess on my .270.

I'd still like to build an AR platform for hunting and longish range bigger game, probably a long bull barrel setup in .308. But that'll happen after I build the .220 swift for varmint hunting I've always wanted.
Funny you should mention that. From an article I just read it appears that Justice Scalia may have corrupted Justice Kagan in the best possible way. He started her out shooting sporting clays and that progressed to quail hunting to the point she is now a regular member of his hunting party, and now she is wanting to go elk hunting. From gun-grabbing Obama appointee to elk hunter in less than a year. That's the way it's done boys.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucille
Funny you should mention that. From an article I just read it appears that Justice Scalia may have corrupted Justice Kagan in the best possible way. He started her out shooting sporting clays and that progressed to quail hunting to the point she is now a regular member of his hunting party, and now she is wanting to go elk hunting. From gun-grabbing Obama appointee to elk hunter in less than a year. That's the way it's done boys.

Thats exactly how Ive personally gotten a few friends who were either afraid of guns or just didnt like them to go with me dang near every time I go to the range. I start them off on an old Mark II ruger 22 pistol, then move up to my 10/22 for a cheapo tasco 4x scope, then on to whatever they want at that point. A lot of them love shooting clays too, I think its the action of the clays and not just punching paper that they love. The metal reactive 22LR targets are a hoot too watching them get excited. Its worked so well that Ive given up on arguing with people about shooting/guns to where I just tell them to come out to the range with me and Ill supply everything. We need more good people on our side