Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Yes, the dealer can detect your tuned PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foose04
I got a friend a work who just bought a band new c6. He bought the extended warranty package as well. About two weeks go by and now the car has a big cam, long tubes, tune.

Talk about throwing away money on the warranty.
You should take yours in and say It sounds like someone installed jet engine in it
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I posted on another forum and linked back here.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

I can't see why the stealership wouldn't warranty this...

Hubby's HHR SS... and then some.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to say right up front that I'm a GM world class tech. I haved worked in GM dealerships for the last 12 years.

The reason most dealerships act the way they do for warranty work is because the initial repair is out of there pocket. Once the repairs are done, the work is submitted to GM for them to be reimbursed. If GM thinks something doesn't seem right, they don't pay and the dealership is out that money.

Would you want to buy the parts and fix your buddies truck only to have him screw you over when it comes time to pay up? I know I wouldnt.

Now alot of dealerships do go overboard and just wont work on a modded vehicle. Many just don't want to deal with the hassle. Some people do try to get one over on the dealer by getting something fixed under warranty that clearly was damaged by some modification to the car. We've all heard stories of the guy who stripped the supercharger off of his car and drove it in to the dealership with a spun bearing.

I can't speak for the dealerships that won't work on a modded car, but I know I've work on a handful that have come into our dealership. I've put 6" lift kits on trucks with five miles on them and we've sold them to our customers. We take care of them because we put the kit on and they're our customer. I have yet to see one of them come back with a warranty concern that was caused by the lift.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^^ hit the nail on the head... I know the dealership I work at is the same way... Even though it's Furd...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

All the diablosport/handheld blow hards need to read this.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I got a friend a work who just bought a band new c6. He bought the extended warranty package as well. About two weeks go by and now the car has a big cam, long tubes, tune.

While that's a retarded idea, you should tell him to cancel the extended warranty and get his money back. I don't necessarily sympathize for someone who goes out and wastes money like that, but the extended warranty is several thousand dollars and could easily cover the cost of the cam and long tubes.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Jedi Master

I did that with my GTO, but I actually canceled the warranty and got all my money back.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad *** Silvy
This is why I keep my stock tuned PCM.
Originally Posted by acttacus21
^ Yea that's what I do too, swapping back to stock PCM when taking to the stealer, and just have the tune loaded on another PCM.
this doesn't work on the newer trucks. mileage is in the pcm
Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Truckshop
this doesn't work on the newer trucks. mileage is in the pcm
Nope!

I have THREE! ECMs, and have swapped them many times. Mileage is independent of the ECM. However, my oil life indicator % IS in the ECM.

Quick Reply: Yes, the dealer can detect your tuned PCM