Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wireless tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless tune up?

Someone told me that they could hook a laptop up to my truck and tune it and charge me 50 bucks for the whole service. He said he would change shift points, add power,and take the speed limiter off. Can I do this wirelessly for free or do I need something to hook up to my truck? I know it sounds dumb but if I'm able to do it wirelessly I will d'load any program I need. Thanks for helping a clueless person..lol
Old 12-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Truck addict

you need to have a cable that plugs into your diagnostic port and install the tune. i am unaware of any company offering anything that will do it wirelessly.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.. bascially what your talking about there is either a program called efi live or ls1edit or hptuners... whichever program it is, its not downloadable.. its actually a popular program that is for sale. Your looking at around $500 to get hptuners, its a program that includes a cable and you can hook it up to your vehicle.

For $50, if they know what they are doing, that sounds like a good deal... It sounds like they might not know any extensive tuning but for that cheap if all they do is shift points and speed limiter and what not.. i still think thts a pretty good deal

But, those programs i mentioned arent for novice guys, its a little advanced... it takes a little time and experience to get better and better at custom tuning. Its something im looking into myself right now.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks it does. I'll just be glad to be able to go over 100.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LMAO Now i have heard it all!

Find a local tuner if you can and get it done on the dyno, you will be happier with the results!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't let this guy tune your truck if that's all hes charging. You get what you pay for. By the questions in the 1st post, you need to hang around a while before you consider getting the software for yourself .... not meant in a negative way in any way.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flyer
I wouldn't let this guy tune your truck if that's all hes charging. You get what you pay for.

why not? i have tuned some for free, a six pack, 50 bucks. some people like me are not worried about making money off of something i would have anyway.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and to answer the original question, lol i dont think there is any wireless tuning as of now... lol sry, kinda got off the main subject there.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZDEN
why not? i have tuned some for free, a six pack, 50 bucks. some people like me are not worried about making money off of something i would have anyway.
Good point. I was assuming this was a 'professional' tuner.

It's worth mentioning though, anyone can 'tune' just because they have the tools to do so, but that doesn't make them a 'tuner'. The hands doing the tuning make ALL the difference!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the real 50 million dollar question is you said,
Originally Posted by therat1989
Someone told me...
, cuz hell I'd change shift points and limiters for 50 bucks ...mmmm...a bottle of good vodka even. I promise to even change the speed limiter before I start drinking even.

I believe what flyer and everybody else is getting at is..."just anyone"...HELL NO. If you know the guy and he has a truck doing some nice numbers on tuning alone AND it HASN'T broken down for any particular reason....yeh let him change the minor things. It's your truck man...the smallest mistake will most likely cost you a trans at the very least. I say only let people you know for a fact know what the hell they are doing touch it.
Blown has it right too...if you dare to tune, just find a real local tuner for the complicated stuff and then dyno tune the pe stuff.

Quick Reply: Wireless tune up?