Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this mean?

So I keep getting a code I think is 1173 but it says insufficient switching of the O2 sensors. What does this mean. I have had a few problems with my sensors crapping out on me and having to replace them but this time I think it might be something with my simulators. I ran a diagnostic while it ran and 3 of the sensors ran in the 300-800 range (I cant remember what measurement it was) and my B2-S1 ran at about 30 so what could this be?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I see you have Pacesetter LT's. This is a known issue with long tube headers and stock O2 sensors.

Basically, the exhaust gasses are not hot enough for proper operation. Granted since its just 1 of your sensors, its still possible that its just a problem with that sensor.

A common workaround for this is using Rear O2 sensors from a Z06 Vette (C5) and installing them as your front O2's.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have had problems with my front O2 sensors. A few months ago it started misfiring alot and dying and I replace the sensors and that fixed it but I used Bosch sensors which I was told are pretty good. But if I got the Vette Z06 sensors would they plug right in or would I have to rig something up. Also would I need to retune it or would they work fine straight from install?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your code again p1173 is not valid and p0173 is not enabled. But if you remeber seeing a invalid switching code then yes the vette 02 sensors are a fix for this. The reason being is the stock 02 senors and switch points are only good for the stock location, Moving them downstream screws them up (Most of the time). The 13111's are not as temp dependent and have better heater in them. They are not plug and play you will need to swap pig tails.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

The new Z06 sensors would not need any programming changes. However, their wiring harnesses are different. So you have 2 options.

1.) Get the OEM spec'd sensors, and splice the old connector onto the new sensor after cutting off the new connector.

or...

2.) Get the "universal" version. Its teh same sensor, except they come untailed, and have a pretty nifty weatherpack splicebox.

Personally, i used the universal sensors and they worked pretty good, i loved that splicebox concept.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Alright thanks for the input. I'll try changing them and see what happens.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Where could I go to get the "universal version"? Could I get that from the dealer or would I have to go to a performance shop like Thunder Racing or Futral Motorsports?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Unfortuantly, Bosch's Parts Finder is down for updates.

The OE type is Bosch P/N 13111
The Universal is bosch P/N 15732
Old 06-25-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

why not just swap pigtails with out cutting them? its easy to do once u figure it out. they both have the same male ends on them. just unclip them from the connector and clip them on the stock connector. i will be doing this to mine.