Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Urgent!! I have absolutely no power in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent!! I have absolutely no power in my truck

Ok so I'm taking of my molding on my truck and the key is turned backwards in my truck just listening to the radio without the truck on. I finish the job and I go from the point to try and starting it and all of a sudden I hear a kinda popping sound(I know can't be good) and now absolutely nothing works. Truck is 100% dead at this point, no lights, starter won't even click etc. I seriously need to get this worked out because right now I have nothing to drive.

I already tried jumping it once and I checked a few fuses and none were blown. Please help me asap!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1999? Ever replaced the battery before? Old batteries are looking for a reason to stop taking charges.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
High on diesel fumes

Sounds like the battery might have taken a dump. Standard cranking batteries are not meant to be discharged and recharged, they are meant to stay at a constant voltage and supply enough current to crank a motor over then go back to a constant voltage. If you listen to the radio with the truck off a lot you should really look into a deep cycle. And definitely if it's the original battery, you're lucky to have gone as long as you did. Here in AZ it's not abnormal to go through a battery every 1-1.5 years. That would be my first step if I were you....get a new battery, or take that one in and have it tested.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

You said it started and than it made a popping sound and cut off? Alernator maybe?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
High on diesel fumes

If the alternator were toast he would at least have accessory power and probably enough juice to crank the motor, it just wouldn't charge when it was running. It sounds like when you tried to start the motor something in the battery shorted out. My dad's truck a long time ago had two plates that separated inside the battery, so there was not a continuous electrical circuit. His truck shut down while he was driving, and he had absolutely zero power to anything.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you might be right about the battery. Im not sure how old the battery is extactly but I know for a fact it wasnt the original one back in 1999. Ill check tommorow but Ill probably invest in a Yellow top as soon as I can. Ill also try and hook up another battery to my truck and see if I can get some power.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea sometimes a battary can be so bad and dead it wont take a jump.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I think it is the battery, but why would it suddenly go from playing the radio fine,to complely dead like that? I don't know a whole lot about how batteries work, but it seems like I might get at least something.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

the dry cells (and some wet cells too i think) have connections inside which can fail. If a connection inside of the batter failed than nothing is transfering the power so the power failure to the vehicle is instant.

which battery is on there? the stock ac delco one?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok I ended up resolving it. I checked everysingle fuse, tried jumpstarting it, checked the fusible link, etc. Finally I got to jumpstart it a 3rd time and I move my (+) battery tap that hooks up to my power wire for my amp, and then my lights start working. I don't know how it happened but over time it started loosening up and for some reason when I started it up yesterday it loosened up enough to where no power was getting anywhere, so I took the gold battery tap, cleaned it up and bolted it back on tight and now I have power.
I guess I overlooked one of the easiest things because of the situation with it not starting up after listening to the radio for 1.5 hours.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: Urgent!! I have absolutely no power in my truck