Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

tuning trans for towing/hauling....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default tuning trans for towing/hauling....

for those of you who dont know my setup by now, I have a ecsb, 5.3, 224/227 cam, bottle, Yank SS3600, FLT-5 (vac mod) and 4.10's... I'm getting ready to move which is going to be a lot different for the truck than it sees everyday.

Normally, it stays unloaded with nothing more than a nitrous bottle and a VERY small toolbox locked in the corner of the bed. (jumper cables, etc) in December I'll be making the 1450 mile trip from VA to TX and wonder what I should change about my trans tune for less stress and heat generation. I have a 9.5" converter, which has me kind of worried due to the smaller clutch area...

Should I lock it up later under lighter throttle? sooner under light throttle?
-The way I have it now is for it to lock up anything btwn 1-43% TPS over 50mph in 4th.... and on a coasting stop/slowdown situiation it will stay locked until it gets to 45mph, then will unlock again... it works really well for me how the driving is here. It never gets above 150* cruising even in the summer hell heat... and if you arent familiar with my cooler setup, its nice and healthy... I've got a fan to go on it yet as well...

Should I leave it alone and just keep an eye on it or change it a little?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much weight will you be carrying/towing?
Heat shouldn't be a huge factor in December even down south especially since you say you have a good cooler.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

the weight of the truck (about 4600) plus maybe 1500lbs if I tow a trailer, if no trailer, maybe 1K
Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were in tx you moving to? I would say you should be fine just keep an eye on the trans temp.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:27 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year, and which tuning software?
The only thing you might do (besides raise and lower lock-up points) if you have HP and are 2001-2002 PCM is to turn up the lock-up pressure to help the converter hold during lock-up.
If it were me I'd just watch (log) Trans temp, and TCC slip.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
were in tx you moving to? I would say you should be fine just keep an eye on the trans temp.
Going back to the Beaumont area... Southeast Texas.

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
What year, and which tuning software?
The only thing you might do (besides raise and lower lock-up points) if you have HP and are 2001-2002 PCM is to turn up the lock-up pressure to help the converter hold during lock-up.
If it were me I'd just watch (log) Trans temp, and TCC slip.
its a 2000 truck with a 2000 PCM... I havent swapped it out yet. Its tuned with HPT. I'm thinking about just setting the lockups to about 60mph in OD and watching the temps like a hawk...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same converter but in a 3200 and yesterday I went on a 400 mile trip(no stops). I was carrying about 800 in the bed. Trans temps never went above 163*(I was logging). This was in 85* heat for the majority of the trip.

We have very similar trucks except mine is much heavier and you have 4.10's.

I'd say as long as you take a couple breaks here and there you'll be fine. Even then, my transmission didn't hint at having issues.

EDIT-Oh and my truck is vaccum modded and have a fully built transmission(very close in specs to a flt level 5 but no 5 pinion planetaries
Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I have the same converter but in a 3200 and yesterday I went on a 400 mile trip(no stops). I was carrying about 800 in the bed. Trans temps never went above 163*(I was logging). This was in 85* heat for the majority of the trip.

We have very similar trucks except mine is much heavier and you have 4.10's.

I'd say as long as you take a couple breaks here and there you'll be fine. Even then, my transmission didn't hint at having issues.

EDIT-Oh and my truck is vaccum modded and have a fully built transmission(very close in specs to a flt level 5 but no 5 pinion planetaries

Thats good to hear... I just dont want to have any problems out of it somewhere between VA and TX... its a long *** trip. I'm sure I'll have more than 800lbs in it... but it should be alright I guess as long as I can keep the converter locked up... I'm looking at different routes to keep me out of the hills. I'll be taking 2 days to drive it. I'm in no hurry once I leave here... kissing the VA border goodbye will be a great ******* day in my life. LOL...

I'm trying to cruise at 75 the entire way... so I can keep half-*** gas mileage and still make half-*** time. I'm babying the rear right now too... I'll be going through it next weekend.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Thats good to hear... I just dont want to have any problems out of it somewhere between VA and TX... its a long *** trip. I'm sure I'll have more than 800lbs in it... but it should be alright I guess as long as I can keep the converter locked up... I'm looking at different routes to keep me out of the hills. I'll be taking 2 days to drive it. I'm in no hurry once I leave here... kissing the VA border goodbye will be a great ******* day in my life. LOL...

I'm trying to cruise at 75 the entire way... so I can keep half-*** gas mileage and still make half-*** time. I'm babying the rear right now too... I'll be going through it next weekend.
Well keep in mind that my truck is an LT with no weight reduction, hard tonneau, 150lbs sub box, and 800 in stuff. My truck in street trim with the tonneau and sub box probably weighs 5100-5400 lbs.

I think you'll be just fine.

EDIT-Oh and for what it's worth I got 20.56 mpg on the trip yesterday.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't give it a second thought, your not hauling ANY kind of weight. Your no where near the GVW of the truck. My truck weighs 5500lbs with me in it, and I've hauled a car trailer with a F-body on it, a motor, a big tool box and a bunch of crap in the back of the truck, over 400 miles with 5 people in the truck. My tranny is pretty much stock (shift kit/vette servo) and a DACCO remain TB converter. WITH the STS turbo on the truck. Tranny temps where fine with just the little cooler I have on it. I've towed way more then what your planing a lot farther and never had any trouble.

Quick Reply: tuning trans for towing/hauling....