Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

tuning software vs. dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning software vs. dyno

Hey guys, im looking to buy tuning software, HPT. My question is: Is HPT properly used going to be as effecient as a dyno tune? I want to learn how to tune my truck either way, but need to know the most effecient way. Thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it certainly should be, your using the same tools they use to tune it on the dyno..
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Yes it certainly should be, your using the same tools they use to tune it on the dyno..
Right but, is a street tune as effective? I would think it would be, but I don't know.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Dyno SIMULATES real driving. Really driving IS really driving.

You do the math
Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by viciousknid

You do the math
Thanks, I never really thought about getting into tuning until now, I'm sure I'll have many more questions in time. Thank you for being so cordial with my dumb question.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Where's the Beef?

We all have dumb questions. Just don't take people so seriously when they call you out for asking one. Gotta be able to laugh
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid

You do the math
An effective tune should be based on dyno-derived data . It is not possible to know if a 5.3L needs 28* or 32* of timing at part throttle at 3200rpm purely based on street-derived data.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Yes...in english: there is no way you can hold rpm and load on the street. For spark tuning nothing will work like a load bearing dyno. Buy the software and learn, then rent some dyno time.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

The big key factor to using the dyno and an important one at that is having the good steady state conditions for airflow modeling (ve and maf) and for spark tuning. If you arent fighting transient conditions you can save a ton of time and gas when working on the ve and maf on the dyno as well as being able to hold the engine steady at certain load and rpms to dial in spark.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

the main disadvantage to using a dyno would be $$ and dynos could cut the time used to tune a vehicle. On the other side of the coin $$ being a factor there is usually more ways to do something and there are good tunes that are developed by doing street tunes. I know of one very good professional tuner that has his own dyno and he told me he still prefers to do street tuning first then puts the car on the dyno to verify and tweek! He told me he prefers that because he can get a better feel for the driveability as he is doing the tune by driving.
On HP Tuners one can do a histogram and log for delivered engine torque and while it does not replace a dyno exactly in numbers it does provide an indication similar to a dyno as to the progress been made.
A professional tuner may not have the time to put into street tune then dyno tune every vehicle depending on his prices, but for a guy tuning and learning in his own vehicle time is not a factor while $$ may be.

Quick Reply: tuning software vs. dyno