Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

"Tuning the Right Way" Tuning school manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Tuning the Right Way" Tuning school manual

http://thetuningschool.com/classes.html
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217308
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16367

Have you guys seen this? The price is steep, but it looks like it may be worth it. I know I would sure love some more detailed instruction on proper tuning.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckmann
http://thetuningschool.com/classes.html
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217308
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16367

Have you guys seen this? The price is steep, but it looks like it may be worth it. I know I would sure love some more detailed instruction on proper tuning.
if i had $8xx i would be all over that
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A class is certainly a great idea, but after reading a couple of the pages they display on the website it doesn't appear to be much, just basics. And I am sorry, basics is not worth that kind of money. GRANTED I don't see the other pages. Is the class book for sale?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
A class is certainly a great idea, but after reading a couple of the pages they display on the website it doesn't appear to be much, just basics. And I am sorry, basics is not worth that kind of money. GRANTED I don't see the other pages. Is the class book for sale?
I agree with that. That is a real big hold up for me on spending anywhere near that much money for a book. It is the class book for sale it is suppose to be ~200 color pages and is entirely based on using HP Tuners to tune correctly.

I did see at the end of one of the post that there is an intermediate book in the works. That would be of much more interest to me.

I've been getting real frustrated with my tuning lately and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Everything was working as expected before the 8.1L injectors went in and then the cam. Now it seems that I can't get anything to settle down in OLSD. I think I get the VE and idle dialed in and then I get back in later or the next day and it's way off again.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

thats a little too much coin considering all it really takes to get the same information is a few post on various boards asking where to find the HOW TOO's.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Well I will be attending the Dallas class and what they told me is they go over every column, the 1-1/2 days is class work the last half of the second day is at a dyno shop tuning a vehicle and learning how to use a dyno, so its worth it to me hahaa
Old 03-22-2008, 09:54 PM

cool, report back the results. I am sure the class is more detailed than the literature.

truckman, start a thread with you rtroubles, lets see if we can work it out?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I think it really will depend on where YOU are in your experience...if you are just getting into tuning, many struggle even after a month or two or more to figure things out, I think those people would do much better with something like this rather than an advanced course like banish's class or efi university because it does show you everything specific to hptuners & LSX vehicles, everything from how our credit system works to the customers advantage, how to license a vehicle all the way through how to tune a heads/cam vehicle, Forced induction, to adjusting fan temps and pretty much everything in between.

If you've been tuning for a year & have already tuned a couple of Forced induction vehicles and a couple of heads/cam vehicles you may learn a few new things but that is NOT who that stuff is geared towards. Its geared towards new users that want to be able to get up and running quickly without having to search through the gobs of information out there, and know why they are changing x & y parameters.

-Bill
Old 03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Originally Posted by foff667
I think it really will depend on where YOU are in your experience...if you are just getting into tuning, many struggle even after a month or two or more to figure things out, I think those people would do much better with something like this rather than an advanced course like banish's class or efi university because it does show you everything specific to hptuners & LSX vehicles, everything from how our credit system works to the customers advantage, how to license a vehicle all the way through how to tune a heads/cam vehicle, Forced induction, to adjusting fan temps and pretty much everything in between.

If you've been tuning for a year & have already tuned a couple of Forced induction vehicles and a couple of heads/cam vehicles you may learn a few new things but that is NOT who that stuff is geared towards. Its geared towards new users that want to be able to get up and running quickly without having to search through the gobs of information out there, and know why they are changing x & y parameters.

-Bill
This is why i'm going, I have a pretty good grasp of the concepts but would love to know why behind the logic of it all.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by foff667

-Bill
Bill I certainly agree with all of that. Newbies would certainly benefit (even "not so newbies") from a basic class. However, like I said, it just seems costly for basics. I have NO clue what it entails and only doing the obvious, babbling over the internet about something I know nothing about (the class structure). Just noting it seems expensive. HOWEVER it does seem like a lot is included. I guess knowing a little already makes me one sided.

Features of the class include:

- The basics of how to use the HP Tuners software.
- What tables need to be changed for your tuning needs.
- What the tables mean, how to understand and adjust them properly.
- What the common ranges are for the tables that are being adjusted.
- How the basic fuel injection system works.
- The right order of tuning, featuring when to adjust Fuel, Spark, etc...
- How to do your tuning on the Dyno. Instruction will occur at a dyno facility at the end of the second day.

The Live Class also includes:

- The Tuning the Right Way: A Beginner's Guide to Tuning GM Vehicles with HP Tuners Software workbook (sample pages: page 9 / page 37-38 / page 187)
- The Tuning Checklists
- The Tuning School Tuning Tree (a map of table locations)
- Breakfast and lunch are provided both days
- Instructors available for further discussion at dinner in a local restaurant
- Discount hotel stay at the seminar location

Quick Reply: "Tuning the Right Way" Tuning school manual