Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Timing in the 60' Launch

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Let's just keep this thread about the subject title "Timing in the 60' Launch".

If someone wants to start a thread about the IAT or torque management method please do. It's better if things like this are in their own threads because when someone comes along and does a search it's easier to locate the info they want. They don't have to sift through a thread that's supposed to be about timing to find something about IAT, etc.
Wait a minute, I want responses on IAT correction concerning timing. This is a "Timing on launch" topic. Just a different way to adjust the timing. Actually, I'll take what I can get for timing adjustment conversation, albeit TQ management, IAT, ECT Spark correction, spark retard vs TQ reduction...ect ect. I tried to word the topic as so if "I" did a search on ways to attack timing in a lanuch all these ideas would come up. I guess, this is a moment when I should direct myself to that "one" thread about changing the thread topic. LOL

THe IAT being the most inconsistent thing in an FI application may be a fact, but it seems to me the MAF isn't very happy either, and gives erradict results at times...tempature sensitve even.

I like the idea of tuning and looking away. (besides having guages) Taking my ride to the track, getting in line, take off, come back, wait in line take off, finish and drive away. I know that alot of you are into the best 1/4 time possibe and not caring much about how you are set up for street. I take that back... you care, but you want a more aggressive set up on the track for obvious reason and having a different tune is okay to you. I am really attracted to the best pf both worlds, even with their limitiations. Being that the IAT is fairly inconsistent, it still helps alot with timing adjustments to temperature. The danger of IAT being off (incosistent) is taken care of with a larger buffer in the adjustments to the table. Same as one would take with negative timing (crash uses -5, one would use -10, -25, and so on). As far as heat soak goes, everyone else is affected the same, as heat gets higher negative timing is still gonna have correction and pull timing for temps, just as so does the IAT correction table scenario. Hell for safety throw some adjustments in the ECT correction tables as well.

I don't see much negative sides to either, except for bad tuning. But I don't see a reason for negative timing on an awd/4wd vehicle. I don't see a safety issue with IAT correction tables as your main way of handling a better "spark/timing launch". Hell even people with negative timing as an approach count on their IAT correction table to cut timing if for some reason their IAT's take off...a IC pump dying, or fluid clog...whatever.