Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Thinking about biting the bullet and buying HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkade72
What about the book by Dan Maslic? Sounds like a good place to start as far as reading material.
I have that book myself and browse through it quite often, mainly to keep the stuff fresh in my mind since I don't tune everyday. There's also tons of info online at HPTuners site as well as on here and LS1tech...My wife bitches at me for not ever reading "books", but the stuff I read is full of information, not made up stuff like she reads, LOL.

Like AKlowriderZ71 said above, if you have a general idea how everything works, it's just a matter of being comfortable with the software. The more you use it, the more comfortable you'll get. HPTuners site has a repository that you'll be able to access once you have your setup, and I sometimes randomly download other people's tunes solely to study them and see what others do as compared to what I do...Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of prefer toting a laptop with me so I can see what cells I'm hitting while driving

Originally Posted by rel3rd
HPTuners site has a repository that you'll be able to access once you have your setup, and I sometimes randomly download other people's tunes solely to study them and see what others do as compared to what I do...Good Luck.
^^^ This is exactly what the repository is good for.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the info guys. I am gonna get it in the next few weeks hopefully but I think I need a new laptop first. This old toshiba sucks!!! I am looking at doing a 5.3 swap in my 86 k10 so I wanna have it when I get ready to run it.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RSTinOKC
I kind of prefer toting a laptop with me so I can see what cells I'm hitting while driving
I agree, but for some reason ever since I upgraded to the MPVI Pro when datalogging with my laptop, it seems to either freeze up the screen, or just act like the cable is disconnected and loses all info I just logged??? My laptop has plenty of "power" and memory so it's definitely not a computer issue.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Teching In

i just bit that 50 cal bullet
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Teching In

question tho, i bought the standard, not the pro. not here yet so i havnt had a chance to use it yet. could i just get a wideband and mount it on my pillar and use that as another tool in tuning. or is it a must that i bite another 500 dollar bullet?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

You can use a wideband with out the pro version, but you have to have a gauge. On the pro you can plug it in without a gauge, and set it up for a specific a/f, from my understanding.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Standard does not allow you to record your wideband values, and costs around $499

Pro allows you to log in the vehicle without a laptop, then bring it back in the house and download your data. It also allows 0-5V inputs from the sensors you add, like a wideband. But...it costs around $650

I went with the standard and bought an Innovate wideband for $160.

I have not had good luck with mail order tunes, or local "cheap" tunes.

Plug it in, log, and tune. Repeat.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's on the way now who will be the first to melt a piston?? Me and Jkade72 split hp tuners pro and splurged on a lc1 wideband, it's gonna suck sharing a wideband.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1969x11
It's on the way now who will be the first to melt a piston?? Me and Jkade72 split hp tuners pro and splurged on a lc1 wideband, it's gonna suck sharing a wideband.
I hope I ain't the one to melt the piston... cough...cough. Good to have a brother that is in this crap as much as me. I am sure we will be asking some dumb questions one here

Quick Reply: Thinking about biting the bullet and buying HP Tuners