Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Switching between EFI Live and HPT tunes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Switching between EFI Live and HPT tunes

2017 Sierra 6.2L. I currently have a tune via EFI Live, and I also have the autocal and an HPT Standard 6011 with 8 credits, as well as the Magnuson calibration that came with my supercharger.

Here are my questions (this first one is more important):

1) If I reset my EFI Live tune to stock GM, install the Magnuson tune using 4 credits on the HPT, and then later decide to reset it to stock and use an EFI Live tune, and continue to go back and forth between the EFI Live tunes and the HPT tune, do I have to use 4 credits each time with the HPT?

2) I've heard something about if the dealership updates your ECM for some reason during a service while you have an HPT tune, you have to use 4 credits again to reinstall your tune. Is that right? Doesn't seem right.

Thank you!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

1. If the EFI Live somehow changed the OS ID on the computer after you already tuned it with HP Tuners it would require more credits to unlock again. I don't know if that happens when using EFI Live when modding the tune file and flashing back to stock. You are better off just staying with one software if you ask me.

2. Yes that is correct. The GM scan/flash tool will put a new updated calibration file that would be different than the one you originally pulled from the computer. So you'd have to license it again. It's best to never do that if possible.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

The licensing structure between the 2 softwares is completely different. It's done in the back round and can not be seen so it's not as obvious to the standard user.

EFI live licenses a Unique ID that is not visible on the surface.

HPTuners License the Vin and operating system. This why you can not change either with HPT. It will require additional licenses if you do.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mileguru
2017 Sierra 6.2L. I currently have a tune via EFI Live, and I also have the autocal and an HPT Standard 6011 with 8 credits, as well as the Magnuson calibration that came with my supercharger.

Here are my questions (this first one is more important):

1) If I reset my EFI Live tune to stock GM, install the Magnuson tune using 4 credits on the HPT, and then later decide to reset it to stock and use an EFI Live tune, and continue to go back and forth between the EFI Live tunes and the HPT tune, do I have to use 4 credits each time with the HPT?

2) I've heard something about if the dealership updates your ECM for some reason during a service while you have an HPT tune, you have to use 4 credits again to reinstall your tune. Is that right? Doesn't seem right.

Thank you!
Hello, with our licensing software the license is tied to the VIN, pcm serial number, and pcm OS. If any of those three numbers change it requires a new license. When a dealership updates the ecm (pcm) there is a good chance the OS will change which would break the license.
The following users liked this post:
Fullpower (07-05-2018)