Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Speed density tune...Why???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I guess i should state that SD is accurate when your out of MAF range and your fooling the tables. Its def. more accurate in my case

Ive also been very impressed with another similiar setup truck, SD tuned, running a decent sized but not too crazy blower cam that was N/A.

I dont feel you have to Go SD on an N/A setup, but if you do you should learn how to tune because as the weather changes so will some driveability items.

Now that its cold i have to apply a lil throttle to get my girl to fire up. I just havent tweaked that aspect yet as i wont be driving it this winter.
I have done some on sd per request and those guys are happy for sure! Incidentally, the woodhauler's 408 has been on the same clsd tune since 2006 I believe...lol. My cavaliers been on the same sd tune since it was built...lmao
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

When tuning OLSD allot of the fueling changes due to weather can be altered with the charge bias table. There is no magic #'s for this table from what I have seen, they very by setup. Tuning this table is a pita because everytime you change it it throws your VE back out of wack. I have been 2barOLSD for 5yrs now and love it. I even ran one season NA on my 2bar OLSD tune and still ran great. ( in between blower setups). I am not running a hybrid MAF/sd setup either. No MAF or 02's. For a NA Setup I would stick with a MAF unless the cam is really big or has allot of overlap.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Rhino79

SD does seem to be a bit more responsive, but the maf does a great job of adjusting for varying conditions.

In the end, the MAF on a MAF tuned vehicle is in full control at wot, it blends with ve at part throttle. It is more of a backup so to speak and not needed, I think it helps make vehicles more versatile in all conditions. It certainly doesn't enchance performance but at the same time, it doesn't hurt performance either on 90% of na vehicles.
I noticed when experimenting with/tweaking the tune on my own truck that it seems a decent bit more responsive when MAF is disabled, even though I've spent a lot of time getting VE and MAF dialed in.

As for the blending at lower rpm's, I know the "default" setting for my truck, for MAF only, is 4000 rpm's and I've always wondered why you couldn't raise that number to above your shift points so that you always had a "blend" of VE and MAF? I've never heard of anyone doing it, or read anywhere about it, so I wonder if there's a reason not to? Or if anyone's ever tried it?

Or if I am so far off base with this train of thought that I am nuts? lol
Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it depends on the vehicle. In a boost application if the MAF is maxed out by 4k rpm's I go SD CL. I'm running an EFILive COS 5 SD semi-CL system on my 01 GMC and I love the control and ease of drivability

My Vette I've tried SDOL, SDCL, MAFOL, MAFCL and the best drivability and power came from OLSD on a 416 stroker with a 200 shot and nasty large hyd-roller cam. However now I'm switching it over to a COS3 with SDOL.