Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Running lean both banks

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running lean both banks

Ok so hears the thing I was running lean and was told change my maf so I did and it when to just lean on bank 2(pass side) which i was bc I had the breather left un plugged bc the tbss intake has nothing in that side.. so time goes on my knock sensors went bad again and then it goes back to lean on both banks with out changing a thing.. I order headers and some nee knock sensors put them both on get a retune still there. Fuel pressure gauge will be here tomorrow but if my fuel pressure is good what else could it be..injectors or could it be anything else? I know if I put the intake on wrong it will cause it but it was like that before so just think everything is good no vacuum leak fuel pump is good regulator is god maf is new and the injectors were supposed to be new too but I'm not 100% if they were or not they looked new. What could it be thanks
Old 10-13-2020, 12:02 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

What year truck?

Are you getting DTC codes or are you reading an aftermarket wideband gauge and seeing lean a/f ratios?

What kind of tune and why didn't the tuner address the lean condition by adding fuel to the appropriate airflow/fueling tables?
Old 10-13-2020, 10:48 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt its the injectors if its both banks, I would check for intake and exhaust leaks and fuel pressure. I would only replace the MAF with an OEM unit.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Teching In

It's an 05. I'm getting codes.. and I mts a mail order tune. I didnt bring it up bc I doubt it's the tune but it could be I suppose. If fuel pressure is good then I'll get some brake fluid or starter fuel to spray around the intake but its tight but could it be over tight?.. I wish I had wide hands so I could see for sure. Could a messed up throttle body cause it.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Last Call
I doubt its the injectors if its both banks, I would check for intake and exhaust leaks and fuel pressure. I would only replace the MAF with an OEM unit.
I got a life time one from autozone.. i never looked to see if it was ac delco but when i put it in bank 1 went away for a while then i put the headers on and took intake off and got a retune and it's on both side... if I take it for a quiche trip around the block it smells like gas from the exhaust. Not horrible but it smells like an old carb car but if I get on it it still breaks loose. Could I have messed up my o2s or not put the write ones back on.. they are universal so shouldn't matter.. just trying to cover all options
Old 10-13-2020, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Did you replace the orings on the intake manifold when you had it off? Do you have an exhaust leak somewhere? Are you logging and sending the log to your tuner?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tjmath
Did you replace the orings on the intake manifold when you had it off? Do you have an exhaust leak somewhere? Are you logging and sending the log to your tuner?
I didnt replace the intake gaskets bc they are only 4 months old they were replaced when the 6.0 was put in and no exhaust leaks that I know of..and no I dont have a lap top or a way to log data to send to the tuner. If I can get everything strait I'd drive over to San Antonio to have him tune it. I know I'd would be easier on me to log data but alls I have is an iPad I'd have to buy a lap top and buy hp tuner and that's gonna be a good amount of money so i dont know yet. I'm trying to exhaust all issues before i say it's a tune bc allen has been tuning for a really long time and i doubt it's that. The truck and all parts have 220k miles on them so i assume it's the pump or regulator or maybe it does have a leaking intake gasket. It's hard to start and idles high but my throttle body it bad and i have one on the way should be here thursday but even before the throttle body went out it would still stutter trying to start up
Old 10-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Fuel pressure is right around 60 to 61 psi
Old 10-13-2020, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bad o2 sensors???
Old 10-14-2020, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06murder
bad o2 sensors???
did have that thought but when I did the headers I swit had the back ones to the front bc they looked in better shape. The o2 are universal so I wouldnt think that was the problem.. I need to find someone with a scanner that can watch my maf and fuel trims and stuff that isn't expensive bc before the headers bank on had gone away I just needed to fix the leak on passenger side then I did headers and knock sensors so now I'm thinking bad o2 or intake leak but that dam intake is tight.. I wonder if i should use a little gasket maker to them seal.. idk tomorrow I'll buy some starter fluid to spray around the intake

Quick Reply: Running lean both banks