Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

real rough idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE HAD MANY GM SMALL BLOCKS WHERE THE DISTRIBUTOR PICKUP ION THE SHAFT HAS STARTED TO CRAC, AND CAUSES INTERMIOTTENT MISFIRES, AND ERRATIC TIMING.... NEVER THREW A CODE, BUT WOULD RUN LIKE CRAP, AND NOT AT ALL....

GO TO AUTOZONE, OR KRAGEN, AND PICK UP A REMAN DISTRIBUTOR, AND SEE IF IT FIXES IT...... AND IF IT DOESNT TRUST ME THEY WILL TAKE IT BACK.... "THEY TAKE EVRYTHING BACK"
Old 09-01-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We put a brand new gm distributor on and it didn't fix the idle.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh Sorry.... Damn.... Did You Check The Pin Outs To Make Sure You Were Getting Full 5v Reference?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing? Have you tried advancing it
Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The timing has been advanced but it had to be put back to factory because it would ping. I noticed today that if you give it a light throttle while sitting still or going down the road it still has this bump you can feel in the truck. It feels like the idle is gasping and going in and out. It will not just run at a steady idle speed it wants to change like something is telling it to change. I called the dealer and he said they have to take the cat off to check it. I guess they don't have diagnostic equipment to figure it out another way like in the earlier post of testing the exhaust backpressure.

I will keep trying to figure it out.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevygirl
The timing has been advanced but it had to be put back to factory because it would ping. I noticed today that if you give it a light throttle while sitting still or going down the road it still has this bump you can feel in the truck. It feels like the idle is gasping and going in and out. It will not just run at a steady idle speed it wants to change like something is telling it to change. I called the dealer and he said they have to take the cat off to check it. I guess they don't have diagnostic equipment to figure it out another way like in the earlier post of testing the exhaust backpressure.

I will keep trying to figure it out.
Is this throttle body injection?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes. I had to have the throttle body housing replaced because the first mechanic busted the side of the housing tryin to get the plug out. It is a show truck so I had to replace that part. It is louder than my original throttle body. The mechanic switched a tbi off another truck that was another year like a 94 or something. He said it didn't change anything. The computer from that truck would not work in my truck though so I don't know if the swap was a good example of ruling out the tbi.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Drivabilty can be tricky, especially over the net. One thing I would like to add is these engines are very prone to carbon. You need look into the EGR and IAC, Even if they were replace with the engine or other USED parts. Other than that looks like you have covered everything else. I am sure your Mech is very good, but if he cant figure it out. He needs to refund any money you have paid as he has not fixed the problem.

You need to find another shop, Stay away from the dealer. If they cant fix it dont pay them.

Good Luck
Old 09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The reason I have stuck with this mechanic is he has a reputation of being the best engine mechanic is this city and he is determined to not give up. He does show trucks and cars because people trust him to not mess anything up on their car. When I took my truck to some other places they ended up bending and scratching up pieces on my vehicle. I understand about the carbon but I have a brand new intake manifold so carbon shouldn't be an issue yet. It idled and ran better with the old engine with 164,000 miles on it and it had the original egr and throttle body with alot of carbon.

How safe is it to try some injector cleaner in the gas?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:39 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

its plenty safe to run injector cleaner in the gas, lucas has worked well for alot of people 1 or 2 bottles. it even says over treatment will not damage anything

Quick Reply: real rough idle!!!