Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Q: No idle and dies with no throttle after disconnecting battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: No idle and dies with no throttle after disconnecting battery NEW PROBLEM

like the title says, my truck is dieing randomly while driving with no throttle, and its also having some trouble starting and idling. I just did a trans swap(salvage yard tranny while waiting on the flt), but triple checked everthing it also drives just as it did before the swap.

I did have this problem one other time and it was when i disconnected my battery to take off my body lift.

Also Im not throwing any codes and the truck has been driven about 30-40 miles since the battery has been disconnected. It had the same tune in it at first, but I modified it for a couple of trans parameters, but nothing to do with idle or any engine tables. Im using hpt.

Last edited by BaddillaK; 03-26-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

I disconnected my battery one time and it did the same thing. I had to do an idle relearn. I don't remember the entire process but I remember letting it idle for 5 mins in park, then 5 in reverse, then 5 in drive. It was fine after that for me. Just remember to chock the tires.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks coban, ill try that and see what i does
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright guys i did the idle relearn and my truck idles most of the time now, dies a lot less often. since the idle relearn now I have a miss. no engine light, and havent had a chance to get hpt on it(nasty weather) oh Ive never had a miss before.

any ideas?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It idled ok before the trans swap?
Any engine work done at the same times?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It did idle before, but the last time i disconnected the battery I had the same problem with the idle, but it went away. Trans seems to operate just as it should, shifts fine no other problems. The only difference in the engine was before I had a magnaflow, after I was going only through my ory. I didnt have a miss until I did the "idle relearn". While i was doing the idle relearn i did notice my temp went up to about 235 on the gauges, but didnt have hpt hooked up to see what it had maxed out at. I dont think im leaving anything out.

it also started running worse at times on a road trip to new orleans, giving the p0300 code and something else with the hvac. It was wierd to me though, I would run like it should at times and all of a sudden start running like **** with no change in conditions(at idle, on cruise control)

I dont know when I will be able to work on it again as it is stuck in a parking garage in New Orleans do to some power company issues
Old 03-28-2009, 09:04 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look over the wiring removed while the trans R & R. Maybe a loose not connected ground.... Did you get them all connected up behind the back of the engine.. (shouldnt have to pull them but you might have?)
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I drove my truck from new orleans yesterday and it still had the same miss. Today i just went for a drive and the miss is gone it runs and drives like normal. Before when I would go to half or more throttle it would get a bad miss and the p0300 code would show up, now its back to normal. Im not sure what happened, but Im happy it did.

I hadnt unplugged anything behind the engine, only trans and tcase plugs. and a the drivers side front 02. Its all connected.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a ground wire on the back of the motor....maybe you always had a loose or corroded connection there and then the trans swap caused it to be looser....weird. That ground can make your coil packs un happy and cause misfires. Just a shot.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it started to act wierd again today, i just checked the ground that comes off the back of the motor to the firewall near the cowl panel and nothing. I also check my battery connections and the plugs that are near the trans dipstick incase I accidentally unplugged on of those and it is still doing the same thing. although it doesnt kill at all anymore.