Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Possible pcm problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible pcm problem

2001 silverado 3500 6.0 5 speed dually
my check engine light has been on for some time throwing mainly p0327. Knock sensor circuit low blah blah whatever. I've changed both sensors, cleaned everything, put a new harness on, checked all the connections, all the wires, pins on the pcm and got good readings, even checked the new sensors by doing the tap test. Everything checks out. I also have a p0405 and p0463. I'm wondering if the pcm might be bad and that may be why I've got all these codes.

thoughts?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you checked the egr valve and made sure it wasnt stuck open, The fuel level sensor code could be a wiring issue!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 PM

I'm sure the fuel sensor is wiring, just haven't traced that one since it's not turning the cel on. I'm trying to get the light off so I can get It inspected next month. It just seems odd that all these codes are low or high voltage problems.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

3 unrelated problems, 0327 KS, 0405 EGR, 463 Fuel Level Sender. On the KS code I regularly turn the DTC codes for them off when the sensors have been replaced and the codes are still occurring. This does not disable the KS them self, just the DTC codes for them. As you noted the KS will work while failing their diagnostics. The EGR unless you live where you have emission testing and the EGR has to work, that can be disabled as well. The fuel level sender is a no MIL code and will only be seen with a code rearer. It will not turn on the SES light. If you want it to go away you will probably have to change the pump/sending unit in the tank. You will need a tuning product to turn off the codes.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:44 PM

As long as there's a light on, it will not pass Inspection. I guess I'll buy a tuning program and start deleting as needed. I could care less about the fuel sensor. I know how many miles the truck can go on a tank. The reason I think it might be the pcm is because all of these seem to be electrical issues. I have only traced out the knock sensor wiring to find nothing wrong. I can only imagine I'll find the same thing on the other two (mainly the egr because I dont care about the other), but we'll see once I actually have time to trace wiring.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Could also be something as simple as a ground, or corrosion in a connector somewhere. Agree to disagree with turning the codes off because they are recurring. I had an issue with my truck pulling timing when it was put into Drive, third and first, after the intial "mail order" tune, and was told it was due to there being something funky going on with torque management probably in the wiring or something causing it to pull timing. I would have rather figured out what was causing the issue rather than masking it by chnaging the tuneto hide it! Also want to go back in and turn my misfire counters on so if i have an issue i can see it in the miscire diagnostic pid on my verus... sorry went off on a tangent for a minute!! The unrelated codes dont tend to lend themselves to a pcm issue so much as a wiring or possible part failure issue. Were the knock sensors and harness gm or aftermarket? Have seen more than one aftermarket ks cause issues out of the box, and typically the gm harness is better quality and less expensive than the aftermarket version!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:43 PM

I to would rather fix the problem. I've been dealing with it for some time now, and my inspection is coming up next month. All parts are gm, but that still doesn't mean they don't fail rivht out of the box. I'm still going to look into the egr wiring, I just think these unrelated electrical issues popping up at the same time is kind of weird and wondered if anybody has had a similar problem. I'll probably take a day off of work and change the sensors and harness again along with figuring out what's going on with the egr. This is just a stupid problem to have