Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

P0016 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default P0016 question

So, i know i need to replace my tensioner and am going to put a new actuator in at the same time, but on my l92 vvt swapped yukon i get a p0016 code only after i have driven it for a fairly short period of time and i try to restart it within 20 minutes or so, it will long crank and i have to open the throttle to get it to start. I can clear the code and so long as it has been sitting for at least 45 minutes or an hour, it will restart normally and not reset the code. So to shorten what i have said and to possible make more sense; cold start no code, hot or warm start the code sets. I have already determined i shouldnt have used the ls2 dampener, and i am not entirely sure i didnt pull the wrong bolt out of the actuator when i installed the limiter, so they are getting replaced as soon as i have a free day and am not completely exhausted. Another thing is when i clear the code i can actuate the cam it will increase to about 7 degrees and go to 0 above that position, Just wondering if the issue with the p0016 could be something in the tune or a bad sensor, and if its in the tune what tables control the cam position?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any thoughts?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe the chain stretched or jumped, what condition is it in? That or the tone ring/ reluctor is slipping, it would explain the timing issues
Old 04-01-2017, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

What has me stumped is when its cold or been sitting for a while it starts fine and doesnt set the code, but if its warm, and i shut it off and try to restart it is when it sets the code and has issues starting. Most of the time i have seen p0016 code set on these when the actuator was bad, it didnt matter whether it was warm or cold, it would long crank and either not start or long crank and then start. Just trying to make sure its not something in the tune so i dont end up chasing this any longer than i need to.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue after a cam swap. Justin from blackbear seems sure I have installed timing chain 1 tooth off. And he may be right. I do know when the timing was off on all my older cars it had a long hard start after it wasbwarm. I assume this still remains true.The VVT chains are a pain in the *** inside the truck. My other thought may be that it is because of the break in lube I'm running right now since the vvt is controlled by oil pressure. Maybe I didn't prime the engine well? Maybe the oil is too thick?I'm sure first start my cam was empty so I understand having the code 1 time. Maybe I really am a tooth off.