Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Knock knock.... who's there? KR

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Definately nothing banging. i changed the filter back to 4.70, whats left to do with the filter? Does the filter need time to adjust maybe? I may have put a total of an hour on the truck yesterday after i changed the filter sensor settings, could it possibly need more time to adapt to the new settings?
Yeah, you did adjust the filter and saw better results, but with IAT Spark remaining zero'd out. Most that have tuned FI for a while have experienced IAT induced knock if they've tried to reduce the rate at which timing is pulled via it. Your 14* in boost probably works well for 100-140* IAT, but when your intake air temps can boil water, it really should be pulled back. My suggestion in this regard is to take the IAT correction table I provided, copy it in, reduce it by 50% and give it a shot.

As far as dew's request, try logging...
EST_ACB_DMA
EST_KRB_DMA
EST_TRQ_DMA
initially. All are in the Spark pulldown list. This'll show what is pulling spark out but not shown as KR without overwhelming the scanner and slowing your scan rate to a crawl.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whippled 496: I approach each thing as a seperate task but each problem has the same steps to go thru to solve it so with that in mind I would do this

1. Fix the pe ramp in so that as soon as you get past 40 % tps you have your commanded afr
a) pe map threshold =45.
b) pe commanded fuel ramp in rate =0
go log and see if this fixes it taking 4 frames to get to pe fueling isnt acceptabel

2. Set both timing tables to your low octane, then tweak pe so youve got 12:1 afr

3.max allowed engine tq=max value
4. Tip in tq reduction=0; TCS spark retard is 0 but Id do it anyway
5. Disable cat protection
6. Spark ect table =0
7. Re-enable the spark iat table to stock and then tweak it some so it still pulls timing when Iats go thru the roof this will take some working to figure out where you get lots of kr at what iat
8. Try increasing the spark dwell time by a small amount (I will find the formula for you I used to have it but lost it) I would do this to make sure you have a strong spark under boost Ive heard of this helping
9. Get colder spark plugs and regap to around .35
10. knock fast attack gain =.8
11.knock recovery rate= bump by .1 increments until you get a tooth like spike

If after these things are done and we still see alot of kr I would then start desensitizing the knock sensors, even though I am almost positive its false I do this as a last resort after all else has been eliminated.
Acknowledge-identify-solve the problem

Im still reading on the knock sensors I have honestly never had to mess with them alot but on the other 8.1 whippled setup I tuned he had the exact same problem and honestly I never really got a chance to get rid of it completely. So its round two for me on this problem the above steps should help alot they have in the past.

BTW: leave all tranny settings for the allison stock!

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 09-27-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by dc_justin
Any real knock that is detected during KR decay will show an upspike in that trail... which most of his large knock spikes show already... I'm just leary of asking him to make that change which will introduce larger knock spikes (relative change in KR)...
point taken.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
whippled 496: I approach each thing as a seperate task but each problem has the same steps to go thru to solve it so with that in mind I would do this

1. Fix the pe ramp in so that as soon as you get past 40 % tps you have your commanded afr
a) pe map threshold =45.
b) pe commanded fuel ramp in rate =0
go log and see if this fixes it taking 4 frames to get to pe fueling isnt acceptabel

2. Set both timing tables to your low octane, then tweak pe so youve got 12:1 afr

3.max allowed engine tq=max value
4. Tip in tq reduction=0; TCS spark retard is 0 but Id do it anyway
5. Disable cat protection
6. Spark ect table =0
7. Re-enable the spark iat table to stock and then tweak it some so it still pulls timing when Iats go thru the roof this will take some working to figure out where you get lots of kr at what iat
8. Try increasing the spark dwell time by a small amount (I will find the formula for you I used to have it but lost it) I would do this to make sure you have a strong spark under boost Ive heard of this helping
9. Get colder spark plugs and regap to around .35
10. knock fast attack gain =.8
11.knock recovery rate= bump by .1 increments until you get a tooth like spike

If after these things are done and we still see alot of kr I would then start desensitizing the knock sensors, even though I am almost positive its false I do this as a last resort after all else has been eliminated.
Acknowledge-identify-solve the problem
this is great and exactly how i'd handle it in person.

Get into PE NOW when you want in it, so make all settings so.
Get the IAT Spark table fat, adjust it lower later to find your thresholds.
Speed up kr recovery some to help identify certain cell transitions a little better.

Boil water is a great description justin, really puts the value to the IAT.

I wouldn't mess with dwell at this point, the colder plugs is actually a good idea with the BB.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Im running colder plugs, AC Delco's (forgot the number) and they are gapped at .035.

I tell you what, you three know your stuff, im glad i got some smart people around here to teach me. I am going to start at the top making changes and logging. I will copy over Justins IAT table and go from there. Looks like i will be eating a late dinner again tonight..
Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Can you explain how to do this part please? I know how to adjust the spark tables, but not how to adjust my PE for AFR.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Hello Dave

Can you explain how to do this part please? I know how to adjust the spark tables, but not how to adjust my PE for AFR.
Bust open table B3618.
If you're viewing in AFR, set your lowest AFR to be 12.0.
If in EQ Ratio or lambda, set lowest to .816.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Okay gentleman, i finally feel as if i am getting somewhere now. Here was my progression of logging tonight. I made 4 tunes and logged each one, each one got progressively better.

X. loaded what i thought was the right tune, turned out it was not...LOL...i was getting 3* of KR at idle. I didnt bother logging that one...

1. Set up the tune using the suggestions above by 02. forgot to set the fast attack and recovery. Still got some KR, even at low spark and remember i still got 110 in this baby. made one log of this tune

2. Same exact tune, except i added fast attack and recovery settings. Still had some KR but it looked much better as it was logged, nice spikes and not drawn out. This way the timing resumed after the KR was gone.

3. Same tune except i re-enabled the high octane table (both tables were low octane before). Not a whole lot changed, if anything the KR was less obvious.

4. Lastly, i reduced the IAT table by 25%. Almost all my KR was gone on this tune. I only got to log a very short time on this one, but it was noticably better.

I am going to link to a zip file that includes all 4 logs + the last tune i used that netted the best results. Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/more_tunes.zip
Old 09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello Dave

Okay gentleman, i finally feel as if i am getting somewhere now. Here was my progression of logging tonight. I made 4 tunes and logged each one, each one got progressively better.

X. loaded what i thought was the right tune, turned out it was not...LOL...i was getting 3* of KR at idle. I didnt bother logging that one...

1. Set up the tune using the suggestions above by 02. forgot to set the fast attack and recovery. Still got some KR, even at low spark and remember i still got 110 in this baby. made one log of this tune

2. Same exact tune, except i added fast attack and recovery settings. Still had some KR but it looked much better as it was logged, nice spikes and not drawn out. This way the timing resumed after the KR was gone.

3. Same tune except i re-enabled the high octane table (both tables were low octane before). Not a whole lot changed, if anything the KR was less obvious.

4. Lastly, i reduced the IAT table by 25%. Almost all my KR was gone on this tune. I only got to log a very short time on this one, but it was noticably better.

I am going to link to a zip file that includes all 4 logs + the last tune i used that netted the best results. Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/more_tunes.zip
So judging by that, looks like a combination of IAT correction and adjusted filtering is doing the trick. How did it "feel" on the log where you only peaked at 0.8* of KR?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

So judging by that, looks like a combination of IAT correction and adjusted filtering is doing the trick.
Yup, must have been. I need to do some more logging as well. AFR seemed to hold nice. How does everything else look?

How did it "feel" on the log where you only peaked at 0.8* of KR?
It felt real good, but to be honest i was so plastered to the laptop screen trying to watch the scan i didnt pay to much attention. So whats the next step? I guess what i need to do is put some 93 octane back in and leave the tune where it is. Then do some logging for the next few days and see what happens. What do you think?

Last edited by Whippled 496; 09-27-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Knock knock.... who's there? KR