Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

IAT Bias Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still suffer the same but no where near as bad with the cct table activated. I have my cct disabled.

Too be honest, I have more of a cold issue. I don't like to tune the first start up. I like to get one key cycle in b4 I make changes. I am always a tad richer...a cooter hair richer on the first COLD start.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
what is you bias table set at now?
Bias Table is stock. Haven't tried the 1.0 setting for no bias. Hell I might even try a bias more toward ECT just to see what it does.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I still suffer the same but no where near as bad with the cct table activated. I have my cct disabled.

Too be honest, I have more of a cold issue. I don't like to tune the first start up. I like to get one key cycle in b4 I make changes. I am always a tad richer...a cooter hair richer on the first COLD start.
So your CCT (Cylinder Charge Temp) table is disabled now but AFR swayed more with temperature with it was enabled?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a write up on HPTuners that basically said the Bias give you a reading from the IAT and ECT.

Settings to:
0 - 100% IAT
1 - 50% IAT and 50% ECT(engine coolant temp)
2 - 100% ECT

Most people go to the 1 setting to help average the two out VE tuning. Might want to try it and see what happens. I'm about to do the same trail in my truck.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM

Yes. I hated it. I played with it for a long time last year, I'd rather do calculus calculations naked sitting on a cactus.

Let me ask ya, is your ECT as stable as you think? Yes ECT. If you took the ECT and IAT and put them on a line graph with each other, just how consistent would they be as far as comparing one key cycle to the next. I have found they aren't. The most consistent temps are in fall, winter, and early spring. Heat just throws that crap all over the place as far as the IAT goes. Which explains Justin's and others views on getting a better responding IAT sensor. I don't think it has been a secret on PT.net that the radix IAT is certainly lazy about getting to ACTUAL temps from high heat soak or even a 1/4 mile run.

There should, SHOULD be a happy median somewhere in the bias setting and I thought I found it a few times, but as summer ends and winter comes, it would go richer and richer.

All I know is this, I am more stable now and heat soaked lean issues last no where near as long as most people with the radix 112. (as far as I can tell comparing others on an internet forum LOL)

I say there is some clout to the IAT responsiveness, but unless you nail down that bias I still say turn the cct off. (individual results may vary)
Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
How do I change this text

The stock bias table was set-up with the iat sensor in the maf no-where near the engine coolent, although under hoot temps still apply SOME WHAT. Which is why the factory bias so much toward air temp. The radix intake being aluminum and mounted right on top of the engine would defenitealy warrant a bias more toward the ect. how much? who knows. like others have said 1 seams to be the magic number.
I have ran my truck with good results at 1 or 50%, 50% across the board, but after thinking about it. I would think you could get a more accurate v.e by biasing more toward incomming air at the higher air flow rates.
IMO, too many veriables and not enough control....... But thats what we get from trying to run a MAF set-up in S/D.....
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good info guys. Thanks. I like the idea of BIAS more toward ECT on the bottom end of the scale (lower airflows) leaning more toward IAT in the upper. I think the air mass will soak up heat more toward the engine temps at idle and cruise then as it velocity increases more toward the IAT. Anyway time to play ummm tune...

I guess since I did my last major VE tuning in the fall/winter, I didn't see these things. Tuning in the heat is a serious PITA.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is mine....

IAT SENSOR

Works great and is compatible with the GM PCM. You can see it in my SIG, its installed in the intake adapter just before it goes into the manifold.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
How do I change this text

my iac sensor........
https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=404701&highlight
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Here is mine....

IAT SENSOR

Works great and is compatible with the GM PCM. You can see it in my SIG, its installed in the intake adapter just before it goes into the manifold.
Originally Posted by Wilde Racing

Here is mine too...

Quick Reply: IAT Bias Issue?