Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Help? Converter not locking!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't think they were an issue, just curious....my stockers are maxing out with just bolt ons and i saw his were are like 40% at high rpm, knew it had to be something. I'm sure his tune is more on than mine is too though.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckmann
Care to post up the tune so we can peak at your TCC settings?
I don't see anything that stands out to me on the log, but that isn't saying much...

I wish my DTC list looked like yours. Mine has about 3 or 4 times that many things in the list and the best info I have been able to get is that none of them are anything to worry about.
Out of respect for Rick i will not post my tune (without his blessing) although I do understand that would make it easier... the TCC lock is commanded at 80mph@100tps in 3rd. Nothing has changed other than my shift rpms, which I lowered a little bit.

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I would imagine nothing in your trans will work right if you have wheel speed sensor codes. Was 2005 part of the wheel speed sensor recalls?

btw the way, here is your smiley...
Thanks for the smiley Dew.
I have had those wheel speed sensor dtc's forever.

Originally Posted by Mort
I don't know why your TCC is not locking but were you logging the TCC Mode Codes to see what was being commanded at the time of the runs or going from feel?

Most of those codes you posted look old and meaningless to me as far as your current problem is concerned. Erase them and see if you get any new codes. Does your converter lock under normal driving conditions? Maybe you are just making too much torque....
Not logging but my rpms did not drop after the 2-3 like I am used to feeling/seeing in the graph.
I cannot erase the DTC's...I click clear and they come right back. Am i doing it wrong?
Converter locks under normal driving as commanded.
I wish.
Heck maybe the nitrous wasn't working and that's the reason I was .4 slower..

Originally Posted by Klive
also, out of curiosity what injectors are you running? I'm having the trouble of my stock injectors at 100%+ at some times under WOT and my truck is basically stock just bolt ons.
60lbs. I have plenty of fuel with those, the meth and the magnavolt
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

I am not sure about HPT clearing codes. I use Autoenginuity or Tuner Cat to clear mine. None of those codes look like they are from the PCM but rather other modules and that may be why you cannot clear them. Do you know anyone with a Tech 2 that would clear them for you?

Maybe your TCC is wearing out? Anyway next time you run log your TCC Mode codes and TPS to be sure it is reading 100%. Maybe set your TCC to lock at the next lower %TPS as well to see if that helps. Have you changed to a different size tire that might throw your speed off? Is it possible that by lowering your shift rpm that the engine has a chance to get revving again before the TCC locks at 80MPH so that you do not notice a decrease in rpms when the TCC does lock?

Not sure about N2O but remember baby likes a warm and full bottle.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Mine has a wheel speed sensor code also that won't go away, its also been there forever. I wish my problems were as easy as yours
Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

My buddy had problems with the converter coming unlocked. His issue was directly linked to his engine misfiring. Apparently, if the PCM senses X+1, 2, etc. number of misfires over the pre-determined number of allowed misfires, X, in a certain number of revolutions, the converter unlocks until the same number of revolutions can be repeated without the number of allowed misfires being over X.

For illustration purposes, say you allowed 9 misfires in 1500 revolutions. If the PCM detects 10 or more in 1500 revolutions, the converter will unlock until you go 1500 revolutions with 9 or fewer misfires.

Maybe its worth a shot. Have you checked anything to make sure you're not misfiring?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mort
I don't know why your TCC is not locking but were you logging the TCC Mode Codes to see what was being commanded at the time of the runs or going from feel?
This and
Originally Posted by xlcooplx
My buddy had problems with the converter coming unlocked. His issue was directly linked to his engine misfiring. Apparently, if the PCM senses X+1, 2, etc. number of misfires over the pre-determined number of allowed misfires, X, in a certain number of revolutions, the converter unlocks until the same number of revolutions can be repeated without the number of allowed misfires being over X.

For illustration purposes, say you allowed 9 misfires in 1500 revolutions. If the PCM detects 10 or more in 1500 revolutions, the converter will unlock until you go 1500 revolutions with 9 or fewer misfires.

Maybe its worth a shot. Have you checked anything to make sure you're not misfiring?
and this is an option. If I recall, you might not be throwing a misfire code but just like xlcooplx says, the pcm doesn't like what it sees and unlocks your ****. In the TCC mode you'd see "3" when it should be locked I do believe.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When my Yank let go, it would not lock under partial throttle or WOT when commanded so I feel your converter may be fine. I never got any codes.

I would start by lowering your TCC lock command a few notches lower than 100% TPS. I have seen where (for some odd reason) the converter would not lock unless it was lower than that figure. I know it doesn't make sense.

Also, by any chance did you tap the brake or have your left foot resting on the brake at any time?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

TCC Mode codes

Value Caption Description
0 OFF TCC Off
1 REL TCC Releasing
2 APP TCC Applying
3 APPEN TCC Apply Enabled
4 LOCK TCC Locked
5 COAST TCC Coast
6 SLEW TCC Slewed

Watch out for that last one....LOL
Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

you cant clear c codes i think you can only clear p codes i have the wheel sensor code too.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I think we all have the wheel sensor codes.

Quick Reply: Help? Converter not locking!