Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Getting a Blackbear tune this week

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Blackbear tune this week

Kind of a last minute call on what to spend my spare cash on. Ordered a rollpan today and was planning on ordering the rest of the colormatch parts I need, but decided on a tune and Vette servo instead. For $200, what the hell! Hit 36k miles last week, so no more warranty to worry about. It helps that I live 30 minutes from Justin's shop also

Don't have much else but a custom 3" catback w/ AeroChamber right now, but I think a tune will still open the motor up. Going with a 93 hot tune, 75% Engine & Tranny TM removal, increased line pressure, adjusting for the new tire size (went from OEM 275/55-20s to 305/40-22s,) and whatever other goodies I can get. Not sure if he can do it, but I'm hoping to have different shift maps for the Taul / Haul button. If that can be done, 50% Engine and Tranny TM removal in normal - 100% removed in Tow / Haul.

Edit: Just read the FAQ on his page - they CAN tune the Tow / Haul button into a useful existance - so I'll be going 50% / 100% as above.

Sent Justin a PM a few minutes ago. Hopefully I can roll down to Alexandria and pick it up Friday

If Paul at MSP can spare me some dyno time, I'll get some before and after runs done.

--------------------------------------
Matt J.
2006 Silverado Limited Edition
22" Chrome KMC Clydes w/ Nitto 420S 305/45-22
2/3 Drop - Belltech Spindles and Leafs
2006 SS Grill & Front Bumper
'06+ Reflexxions double cowl hood
3" Custom Cat-Back w/ Hooker Aero-Chamber, side dumped
On Order: CustomClassic Fabricated Rollpan, Blackbear Tune

Last edited by Blk06Limited; 04-30-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he's suppose to be real good. get some before and after speedometer videos so we can see the difference.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dlt76028
he's suppose to be real good. get some before and after speedometer videos so we can see the difference.
I've heard limited about him - but all very good so far. Honestly I'd probably go with Wheatley, based on long-term reputation, if Blackbear wasn't 30 minutes from my house. See if I can't work in a data logging tune while I'm there.

Should be able to work that video off my Digital camera, haven't taken vids with it yet - so not sure how the quality will be. I edited above though, I might be able to get a dyno before / after.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You will be very happy with Justin's (Blackbear's) tune. If I were to do mail order tuning, Justin would be my first and only call... I know several people with his tunes and they absolutely love them... Besides Justin is always on EFILive board and this board helping people out...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

hed definatly be the way to go, especially in person (not mail-order)
Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

justin is an outstanding tuner. i promise that you will be very happy with the results.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are in the area, than you would be insane to NOT have him tune your truck. I will take a street tune over a mail order or dyno any day of the week.

Alas, I believe he is supposed to be in Temecula, Ca this weekend so you might have to wait till he gets back. There is a post about a group tune over @ Silveradoss.com
Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
You will be very happy with Justin's (Blackbear's) tune. If I were to do mail order tuning, Justin would be my first and only call... I know several people with his tunes and they absolutely love them... Besides Justin is always on EFILive board and this board helping people out...
I'll second the notion. Justin is irreplacable!
Originally Posted by laynlow77
justin is an outstanding tuner. i promise that you will be very happy with the results.

Originally Posted by Eye-P
If you are in the area, than you would be insane to NOT have him tune your truck. I will take a street tune over a mail order or dyno any day of the week.

Alas, I believe he is supposed to be in Temecula, Ca this weekend so you might have to wait till he gets back. There is a post about a group tune over @ Silveradoss.com
Yep. I was speaking with him the other day and he was saying he has his work cut out for him this weekend. Regardless, definitely worth the wait!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Teching In

No worries on the wait gentlemen

Spoke with him this morning, I'll be heading to Alexandria at 8am tomorrow morning (Thursday) to get it done. He said he had to be at the airport by 430pm, but other than that any time was good. Great guy!

Only problem I foresee is that I still have 10 gallons of 87 in my tank. Going to burn as much off as I can on the way to meet him in the morning, but it'll probably still end up being a mix of 87 (8 gallons), and 93 (17 gallons.) Would prefer to have a full tank of 93, but what are ya gonna do? It would be nice if my Vette servo was here pre-tune, but that'll go in Monday or Tuesday in any case.

Also, no time for dyno comparisons now since I had to bump it up a day. I'll probably still have an 'after' done within the next few weeks once the tune has set. Going to try to make the track this Friday but if not, than definitely next Friday. May give it a few hundred miles over the next week before I run it.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run out as much 87 as you can and then fill it with premium, you'll be fine!

Quick Reply: Getting a Blackbear tune this week