Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Fan control with AC and 05 fans on DBC truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get this figured out and working?

im 99% sure you can add the 3 wire AC pressure sensor like the 4thgen f-body uses and set the PCM for analog AC type. that would allow the fans to cycle on and off with AC pressure instead of just anytime the compressor clutch is engaged.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:36 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Yea, my method works just fine. The only difference being the fans are always on high with the AC, as opposed to possibly being on low or high depending on pressure. Honestly im sure they would at least be on low any time the AC is on.

I certainly could add the AC pressure sensor, but thats $50 worth of sensor and pigtail and running some wires, so I just used a relay I have on hand (free) to do the same thing with a smidge less level of control.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The reason I would want the PCM to fully control the fans based on AC as well is so that the fans don't come on while I am on the highway when they are not needed. I have even considered adding a relay that is disconnected at a certain speed much like the reverse lockout feature...

Now that I typed that out. The PCM should already have this feature. Just might have to change the OS to one that had a t56 for the lockout to work which I can then use to disable the fans at speed. I would assume that speed can be changed. I guess we'll see.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:36 PM
I have a gauge for that

Ya know, I heard that rumor that above 40-50mph the fans dont really do anything. I tested it. Cruising at 70-75 if I turn the fans on high I can drop ECT down to the thermostat setting, otherwise it sits at +10 or so. Not a huge difference, but the fans absolutely help move more air across the radiator and condenser even when you are moving at speed.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I guess that settles that. It helps to have the fans on and it also means I don't have to spend time figuring it out. Thanks Richard.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Ya know, I heard that rumor that above 40-50mph the fans dont really do anything. I tested it. Cruising at 70-75 if I turn the fans on high I can drop ECT down to the thermostat setting, otherwise it sits at +10 or so. Not a huge difference, but the fans absolutely help move more air across the radiator and condenser even when you are moving at speed.
Sounds odd to me. I don't see any way the fans can match the airflow from moving at speed on the highway.

When I'm on the highway my ects drop to low 160s. In town my fans keep temps where i set them usually 178-188. I haven't tried fans on the highon the highway as i haven't seen the need, my pcm automatically turns them off above 50 mph.

I do have an aftermarket all alum rad.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 PM
I have a gauge for that

Probably doesnt help I dont have that top cover thing above the condenser to better channel the air, but I also have the factory radiator.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Yea, my method works just fine. The only difference being the fans are always on high with the AC, as opposed to possibly being on low or high depending on pressure. Honestly im sure they would at least be on low any time the AC is on.

I certainly could add the AC pressure sensor, but thats $50 worth of sensor and pigtail and running some wires, so I just used a relay I have on hand (free) to do the same thing with a smidge less level of control.
i have an 02 avalanche and i did install oem efans had my pcm hptuned and the guy told me that there was no setting in the tune file to adjust low and high speed. so fan 1 starts when the truck starts and fan 2 turns on whe it reaches temp, both fans stay in low speed evertime they turn on. idk if the tune file has some specific setting but i need the fans to turn high as well because it overheats (past 210) when towing and uphills

any suggestions?????
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

It sounds like the relays aren't wired correctly. My fans both come on low at temperature, and both high with A/C. I am going to add a thermostat to turn both fans on high when the coolant gets hotter. It will energize the same wire that the A/C energizes, with a diode on the A/C side to keep from energizing the A/C clutch.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Do a write entire of an 02 OS. Some of the early 99-01 OSs don't have provisions for both fan speeds.

Quick Reply: Fan control with AC and 05 fans on DBC truck