Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

EFiLive vs HPT ... owners of both, I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFiLive vs HPT ... owners of both, I need opinions

Hey guys I have EFilive and over the course of a few years have been tuning and running into issues like most people do when they learn tuning. My question is, who gives better support? I have been on the EFilive forums and everytime I ask a question I get little to no response. Is it the same on the HPT side of things?

Case in point I have a thread I created in 2006 and have not had one response to it.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had issues too. I find that the search button on EFIlive.com doesn't work so easy. There is a guy named joecar that has always been very helpful. What are your problems? The biggest problem I see is that the people that really know the right answers are not as helpful as they could be because they don't want to give secrets away as it is their living. Post your problems here.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im just having issues with my efan setup...the problem started a long time ago when my nelson harness blew up and I picked up a couple codes along with that. B1000 and U1500 I posted this over there to see If I could get some quick advice or help and that was in 2006 lol. Not a single answer to that post.

Now I have a new PCM and my fans still dont turn on like theyre supposed to. Instead they are just on all the time instead using the on time...and Im pretty sure these codes that i got with the old PCM have something to do with it. I just dont know where to look mechanically to fix them.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

So you made a post 5 years ago and no one answered it and you think some one might dig it up and answer it now? Ask the question again, bum the post a time or too. There is not a lot of tuning traffic, so things sometimes get over looked. Just because one post didn't get any response 5 years ago on one forum doesn't mean no one will help you . I'm not a fan guru, but sounds more like a wiring problem then a tune problem if the tune is setup to turn on the fans. Go back over your wiring and make sure it is correct and that you have the pins in the right spot. If there not, they could be in a ground slot and that would make them run all the time.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

the user forums are not the best support. I know on the HPT side, 1. you will find your awnser before someone else responds or 2.someone who has info sends it in a PM and the thread with your question does not help the next guy...

my advise: find a mentor. start a meeting time for guys in your area where you meet and talk tuning over donuts...good luck
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is definitely more traffic on the hpt forum but it seems to be a lot of fluffy with no real sustenance. There are a handful of guys on efi that answer all the questions it seems. Is say as far as forum support they're pretty damn close as in not a whole lot of help. I went efi because the people who I can ask questions to use efi, if they used hpt I probably would've went it instead.

Is the nelson harness a 2 or 3 relay setup. I went with a blackbear 3 relay harness for the 03+ trucks on my 01 and it worked perfect. Has anyone looked at your tune to verify that it is set up right?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
So you made a post 5 years ago and no one answered it and you think some one might dig it up and answer it now? Ask the question again, bum the post a time or too. There is not a lot of tuning traffic, so things sometimes get over looked. Just because one post didn't get any response 5 years ago on one forum doesn't mean no one will help you . I'm not a fan guru, but sounds more like a wiring problem then a tune problem if the tune is setup to turn on the fans. Go back over your wiring and make sure it is correct and that you have the pins in the right spot. If there not, they could be in a ground slot and that would make them run all the time.
LOL I know youre just throwing insight but i have to be a smart *** back in this response....lol you think I posted only once since 2006? No man I've been posting there trying to figure out other issues that have resulted from the problems ive had in 2006. They all have gone unanswered with the exception of one. When I responded back to it, its like crickets chirp and and bull frogs sound off in the background.

As for the tune / electrical issue...im pretty sure its an electrical problem now...its not a simple "you put the pins in the wrong slot" issue though...Trust me my eyes are REAL good and I can see the tiny little etched in plastic 42 on the blue harness and 33 on the red. I've literally pulled them out and RE-pined them with new wire and PCM pins and it still does the same thing. This all started in 2006 when I posted my original post in EFiLive. My nelson harness blue up and when that happen, I got a code on my PCM that i had at that time, B1000 and U1500! It would just have been real helpful if someone could've given me a small hint as to what i need to look for. Back in 2006 when this happen and i got no responses i figured it was just a problem with the PCM...so i said screw it because Im swapping the PCM anyway when i do my 383/4L80e swap...which i did, and with this new PCM I dont have the codes, however I do still have the issue where my fans come on as soon as the Key is on, engine off or on!! I know they are related I just can't figure out what mechanically/electrically needs to be replaced. Whatever it is, is definitely cauing this issue because I cant even Bidi control the fans on and off.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
There is definitely more traffic on the hpt forum but it seems to be a lot of fluffy with no real sustenance. There are a handful of guys on efi that answer all the questions it seems. Is say as far as forum support they're pretty damn close as in not a whole lot of help. I went efi because the people who I can ask questions to use efi, if they used hpt I probably would've went it instead.

Is the nelson harness a 2 or 3 relay setup. I went with a blackbear 3 relay harness for the 03+ trucks on my 01 and it worked perfect. Has anyone looked at your tune to verify that it is set up right?
Yeah the tune is good, wiring to the pcm is good.... man you wouldnt believe the crap that ive been through with this...I have an 8 page thread on Ptrucks.net with bullygoat helping on this issue...We've narrowed down all the posibilities with the tune, A/C pressure switches...he gave me a diagram with the A/C connections...I removed EVERY A/C connection possible 11/17/43/55 RED and these fans still come on when the truck key is on. Then he suggested MAYBE a tun corruption so try EFi and see if they can help...I posted there and thats when i checked my subscribed threads that i posted. Then I noticed all the ones I posted in 2006 lol that were pertaining to this same issue and was like, "oh damn i did try to fix this" just never ever got a response to the questions i asked. It starts with a blown harness and codes B1000 and U1500... once i figure out what the hell got jacked up to force the harness to blow and those codes to be thrown on my OLD PCM then i think this issue will be resolved. I have a new PCM now since the 383/4l80e swap so i dont have the codes there, but the damamge has been done to whatever wiring or relay or fuse or circuitry Im overlooking here. I just need to find out where to start looking
Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You try a totally new harness yet?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

this thread is awesome.....

Quick Reply: EFiLive vs HPT ... owners of both, I need opinions