Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tune

How much more hp can I get with a dyno tune over a mail in order tune.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

all depends on how good the mail order tune is...

I do all my custom diablo tuning for people via email... they provide me with multiple data logs I ask for along the way, so that I can get everything dialed in/adjusted as accurately as possible based on their log data... and have had a couple people go months later to have a dyno tune done, figuring there was still more to be had, and they only gained about 4 hp over my custom tune...

if a mail order tune isn't that good to begin with, sure you would get more gains over it with a dyno tune...

so it all depends on how well the email/mail order tune is actually done...
Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think a dyno tune would be necessary if you just have bolt on mods such as a cold air intake, better flowing exhaust, pulleys, etc. A lot of people are even running a data logged mail in tune with superchargers and turbos. You probably wouldn't see a 8hp gain from a dyno tune over a "good" mail order tune with just bolt on mods. You need to do a lot of research before you make your decision though because there are different types of tuning programs and they are not compatible with each other. So if your mail order tuner used EFI Live you could not take it to a dyno tuner (if you ever decided to one day) and have your tune adjusted if they were using HP Tuners. The good thing about mail order tunes is that they do offer free recalibrations if you were to put on another performance part after you initially tuned it.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
had a couple people go months later to have a dyno tune done, figuring there was still more to be had, and they only gained about 4 hp over my custom tune...
Just curious, is your tune done through the diablo compatible with tuners using efi live, hp tuners, etc? Could they open the tune right up and start making changes or is there some kind of process to convert?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinestar
I don't think a dyno tune would be necessary if you just have bolt on mods such as a cold air intake, better flowing exhaust, pulleys, etc. A lot of people are even running a data logged mail in tune with superchargers and turbos. You probably wouldn't see a 8hp gain from a dyno tune over a "good" mail order tune with just bolt on mods. You need to do a lot of research before you make your decision though because there are different types of tuning programs and they are not compatible with each other. So if your mail order tuner used EFI Live you could not take it to a dyno tuner (if you ever decided to one day) and have your tune adjusted if they were using HP Tuners. The good thing about mail order tunes is that they do offer free recalibrations if you were to put on another performance part after you initially tuned it.
As long as its not locked you can use either EFI live or hptuners to make adjustments.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Alpinestar
Just curious, is your tune done through the diablo compatible with tuners using efi live, hp tuners, etc? Could they open the tune right up and start making changes or is there some kind of process to convert?
the custom tuning is done with diablo's CMR custom tuning software... it's like hptuners/efilive...

the custom tune file is then imported into the diablo predator or trinity, then the predator/trinity is connected to the vehicle to install the custom tune...

the tunes are not locked... the ecm can still be read by hp tuners/efi live... so it'd be the same process as if they were starting from scratch and just reading the current tune out of the ecm...