Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Codes P0171 and P0174 after tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes P0171 and P0174 after tune up?

Well last Friday evening, i installed new NGK plugs IX, new Volant with ram air rube and Trans-dapt TB spacer and only the next day, i got these codes and after doing some research, it seems to be down to a fuel pump, MAF or a vaccum leak? anymore clues or advice someone can give? I will say i have been out of the loop on repairs and trouble codes any help is welcomed. I will say this after everything was installed it did have a rough idle for about 10 to 15 secs then it smoothed out and then saturday night i unplug the battery overnight then i hooked up the battery and started up the truck and again another rough idle for 10 to 15 secs and it smoothed out, but i drove around for about an hour and then the SES light came on.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I would say that the most common thing for these codes is a leak after the maf. I would look for a leak at the intake side making sure all connections are tight and go from there
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My money is on the TB spacer leaking OR you messed up idle air control. Get a can of B12 Chemtool Carburetor cleaner and spray any seal or gasket where vacuum may be present. Usually, that's the TB spacer, since the air tube is considered positive pressure.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Last night, I started up the truck and got a can of brake cleaner, not sure if that was the best idea or not, but it was late and didn't feel traveling. Anyway, i sprayed around the TB and the spacer and got it to idle rough and also most got it to stall out twice! Even though the TB spacer working with the new Volant system my truck runs like a bitch and pulls hard and strong from about 3000rpm's to redline, but i think ill removed everything and re-install it, but if this SES light continues, the TB spacer is coming off and heading back to Summit racing for a refund! Thanks for all the help and advice on this issue.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Last night, i took everything apart and checked the TB and the spacer for scratches or gouges and also checked the gaskets and the silicone O-ring for any damage and everything was fine. Also, i notice when taking the TB off, 2 out of the bolts was finger tight, so at least i found my issue with the check engine light, but after tightening and torquing everything correctly, i took the truck out for a couple hard runs and the temp gauge was around 180 to 185 and then after this one run the temp gauge drop down to 160!!! and after i got home i even let the truck sit and idle for 15mins and the temp never came back up. So this morning on the way to work, the temp gauge seems to be working fine i guess, but i wonder what would cause the drop in temp? is it the sensor for the EMC? or the cluster is acting up, which never had that issue before.

Any help is welcomed.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweaked 5300
Last night, i took everything apart and checked the TB and the spacer for scratches or gouges and also checked the gaskets and the silicone O-ring for any damage and everything was fine. Also, i notice when taking the TB off, 2 out of the bolts was finger tight, so at least i found my issue with the check engine light, but after tightening and torquing everything correctly, i took the truck out for a couple hard runs and the temp gauge was around 180 to 185 and then after this one run the temp gauge drop down to 160!!! and after i got home i even let the truck sit and idle for 15mins and the temp never came back up. So this morning on the way to work, the temp gauge seems to be working fine i guess, but i wonder what would cause the drop in temp? is it the sensor for the EMC? or the cluster is acting up, which never had that issue before.

Any help is welcomed.
On the 02 model its usually the coolant temp sensor. $20 sensor that I am way to lazy to change. Been like that for at least 2 years on my truck for what its worth.

And Yes as you have found out TB Spacers cause more problems then there Worth.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
On the 02 model its usually the coolant temp sensor. $20 sensor that I am way to lazy to change. Been like that for at least 2 years on my truck for what its worth.

And Yes as you have found out TB Spacers cause more problems then there Worth.

I was thinking it was the coolant temp sensor, but is it the one in the cyl head or block? I believe one of the sensors send the coolant temp information to the ecm and another sends it to the gauge in the cluster. Anyway, this hasn't happened again, soooo not sure whats going on, but ill keep this in mind and does anyone have the GM pn# for this sensor?

And yes, im finding this out, i did have TB spacer on my 96 C1500 with 5.7L, and i didn't have any issues like this one. It looks like engine vibration was cause of this, but i've went through it twice re-cleaned and retighten and torque and everything is good and have seen improved gas mileage with the TB spacer and the new volant system, just now at a half tank and showing 270miles on the trip!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 AM

i had the same issue but after i changed the spark plugs as your type NGK iridium tr5i

i thing we have to return back the OEM AC delco
Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 AM

my car is tahoe z71 2007
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tweaked 5300
I was thinking it was the coolant temp sensor, but is it the one in the cyl head or block? I believe one of the sensors send the coolant temp information to the ecm and another sends it to the gauge in the cluster.
There is a sensor on Cyl #1 (Driver's side front) of the engine head. It's right next to the exhaust pipe. It sends data to both the PCM and the cluster.

Quick Reply: Codes P0171 and P0174 after tune up?