Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Chevy truck fans running after truck is turned off

Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy truck fans running after truck is turned off

I have a 2006 chevy Silverado Z71, last week my cooling fans decided to start running after the truck has been turned off. I know they will come on if the motor is overheated even if the truck is off but the truck is never overheated and they never turn off. They will continue to run until the battery is dead.
I have changed the temp sensor and checked all 3 relays and everything looks great. Anyone have some input on what might be going on?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your fans relays are breaking ground, you can have a split back ground wire touching frame somewhere or motor where it has rubbed and come in contact making ground which in turn will never turn off.....so check all your ground wires in the fan harness and make sure they are not rubbing and coming in contact with metal
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

I know if the motor is running there are 3 hot contacts and 1 grounded. while the motor isn't running therre are 2 grounds and 2 hot.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

I cleaned the ground connection for the fans and checked the rest of the wires as best as I could and found nothing. Last night it threw a engine misfire detected, knock sensor code, fan relay switch code and was running terrible. I was also getting a blueish white smoke from the exhaust pipe and an occasional backfire. then all of the sudden the codes went away, the smoke diappeared and it started running fine again.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck has a done this a few times, I had to tap the relays a couple times and it turned off.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have changed the knock sensors, changed sparkplugs, changed relays, I am still getting a misfire code and a fan circuit relay control error code. I am completely lost at this point. I am looking at buying a pcm from a 2wd Avalanche 2006 model. Does anyone know if these two pcms are interchangeable?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have a wire harness that is chafing somewhere and shorting the fan control circuts which will cause the fans to stay on all of the time, also in the same harness the coil, injector, and knock sensors are all in the same harness and if shorted to ground will cause all of the codes that you are setting!!! Sounds to me like it is time to start checking wiring!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbass1307
I have changed the knock sensors, changed sparkplugs, changed relays, I am still getting a misfire code and a fan circuit relay control error code. I am completely lost at this point. I am looking at buying a pcm from a 2wd Avalanche 2006 model. Does anyone know if these two pcms are interchangeable?
The PCM is interchangeable but it will not start you truck until programmed.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 08k1500_3
Sounds like you have a wire harness that is chafing somewhere and shorting the fan control circuts which will cause the fans to stay on all of the time, also in the same harness the coil, injector, and knock sensors are all in the same harness and if shorted to ground will cause all of the codes that you are setting!!! Sounds to me like it is time to start checking wiring!!!!
That's the thing, its not always running, when I start the truck they turn off unless I turn the ac on. then they will turn back on after the truck is off. If it was a grounded wire I thought they would run all the time regardless if the switch is on or not.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

about 8 pins on the end of the blue connector were corroded. Got some contact cleaner from radio shack and gently cleaned it with a wire brush, seems to be running fine now and the fans have turned off. I'm still getting a little smoke from the exhaust, probably because I gutted the cats yesterday, but I'm going to run some berryman's through it and see if that helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevy truck fans running after truck is turned off