Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

BlackBear

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I am aware of that. And if I knew Justin better I would have stood up for him. He took a shot at someone that did not deserve it. It just so happens that I do live where I can have Wheatley take care of my tuning needs. I am sure that Justin is a very good tuner and comes highly recomended also and if I was near yall I would probably have you take care of it.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
Yes I am aware of that. And if I knew Justin better I would have stood up for him. He took a shot at someone that did not deserve it. It just so happens that I do live where I can have Wheatley take care of my tuning needs. I am sure that Justin is a very good tuner and comes highly recomended also and if I was near yall I would probably have you take care of it.
I'll offer my opinion as most know I always do.

What do you plan to do when you go to buy tuning software and begin learning to tune your vehicle? Your $200-300 Wheatley PCM just became a paper weight as he locks his tunes.

How many unsatisfied Blackbear tuned customers have you heard from? How many "Where is Wheatley?" threads are out there or "Who ELSE tunes other than Charlie?"

They're all "just people," but they have a business to run and customers to satisfy. If they do it in their free time for fun, charge $150 for a tune rather than $300.

Fact of the matter is that I live in Austin,TX. I live an hour away from Nelson Performance and 2.5 hours away from Wheatley. I live across the U.S. from Justin, but he's the one I go to for my tuning needs.

Up until recently, I hadn't spent a dime on a Blackbear tune, but when I'd message Justin, on AIM I could always receive a response when I'd have a tuning question(I have EFI Live). That goes a long way with me and a lot of people.

Bottom line is that just because they're a site sponsor doesn't mean their immune to criticism. Justin is out there providing the best customer service in the business traveling around the U.S. for tuning sessions. He is the one who is putting the most effort in the business and therefor has the strongest customer base.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I'll offer my opinion as most know I always do.

What do you plan to do when you go to buy tuning software and begin learning to tune your vehicle? Your $200-300 Wheatley PCM just became a paper weight as he locks his tunes.

How many unsatisfied Blackbear tuned customers have you heard from? How many "Where is Wheatley?" threads are out there or "Who ELSE tunes other than Charlie?"

They're all "just people," but they have a business to run and customers to satisfy. If they do it in their free time for fun, charge $150 for a tune rather than $300.

Fact of the matter is that I live in Austin,TX. I live an hour away from Nelson Performance and 2.5 hours away from Wheatley. I live across the U.S. from Justin, but he's the one I go to for my tuning needs.

Up until recently, I hadn't spent a dime on a Blackbear tune, but when I'd message Justin, on AIM I could always receive a response when I'd have a tuning question(I have EFI Live). That goes a long way with me and a lot of people.

Bottom line is that just because they're a site sponsor doesn't mean their immune to criticism. Justin is out there providing the best customer service in the business traveling around the U.S. for tuning sessions. He is the one who is putting the most effort in the business and therefor has the strongest customer base.
Maybe you didnt read it right. I asked the negative poster if he had any experience with Wheatley and his tuning for him to say what he said. Never have I said anything bad about Black Bear. Because I dont know anything about them. So I keep my mouth shut and dont take cheap shots. Thats the problem with some people. Instead of keeping quite and seeming ignorant about things they are not sure of, they open they mouths and remove all doubt. Disclaimer, This is not directed at anyone in general, it is just a general statement.

What experience do you have with Wheatley? BTW why dont you add up the costs for licensing the vehicle to tune, and for their labor for the time they spend on it when they could be home with thier family and then you may see the value in what they give you. I see alot of threads that say thanks Wheatley. Way more than I see anything negative. What all sponsered tuners here do this as a full time gig with no other job? Wheatley may lock your tunes, but he offers free updates whenever you need. I have seen numerous occasions on this board when he has even offered to help someone out doing thier own tunes. Also I have even seen him offer someone to put their computer back to stock and unlock for free after they wanted to do their own tuning. So basically the moral of my story is if someone has never done you wrong why tell everyone they have.

Last edited by marlboroman71818; 05-05-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn you guys are getting off track.. He just wanted to know how to get in touch of Justin.. Who knows maybe Charlie made it right with him already..
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Here is a quick search of "Wheatley". Read all the threads out and you will notice one thing. I dont know of one that ended without someone being satisfied.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...archid=1861741
Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

So basically the moral of my story is if someone has never done you wrong why tell everyone they have.
So by that theory word would never spread about shady companies. People would still be buying Ford Fiestas, and we'd be giving hand outs to AIG. I sure like that idea

Maybe you didnt read it right. I asked the negative poster if he had any experience with Wheatley and his tuning for him to say what he said. Never have I said anything bad about Black Bear. Because I dont know anything about them. So I keep my mouth shut and dont take cheap shots. Thats the problem with some people. Instead of keeping quite and seeming ignorant about things they are not sure of, they open they mouths and remove all doubt. Disclaimer, This is not directed at anyone in general, it is just a general statement.

What experience do you have with Wheatley? BTW why dont you add up the costs for licensing the vehicle to tune, and for their labor for the time they spend on it when they could be home with thier family and then you may see the value in what they give you. I see alot of threads that say thanks Wheatley. Way more than I see anything negative. What all sponsered tuners here do this as a full time gig with no other job? Wheatley may lock your tunes, but he offers free updates whenever you need. I have seen numerous occasions on this board when he has even offered to help someone out doing thier own tunes. Also I have even seen him offer someone to put their computer back to stock and unlock for free after they wanted to do their own tuning. So basically the moral of my story is if someone has never done you wrong why tell everyone they have.
That's all fine and dandy, but I'm not sure who is taking cheap shots. I offered plenty of factual information rather than just saying one sucks and the other is better. A license costs $100 through EFI Live, I'm not aware of what it costs through HP Tuners. If he takes 2 hours to tune a vehicle(on the high side), that's still $25 and hour. I personally would never charge $150 for a tune though if I had the knowledge some of them do.

As far as turning the pcm back to stock and unlocking the tune, that's to awfully nice of him. Do you realize how easy that is to do? A PCM itself can be had for $50. If you need to go back to stock that's not the expensive part, but if I were to spend $250 on a tune I'd like the piece of mind knowing I could change tire sizes when going to the track, or adjust my timing for nitrous without having to send my tune back.

Once again I'll stress my point. It doesn't matter who is the better tuner. I personally think Justin has been the most helpful out of anyone I have seen, but I talk with him much more than other tuners. Aside from that though it is customer service that is winning bonus points for me and many others.

It doesn't matter how great of a tuner you are, if people can't get a hold of you for several weeks, they are going to go somewhere else. I can pull up plenty of threads where people were looking for a re-tune or pay for a custom tune and were getting frustrated trying to get a hold of Charlie.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
12 Second Truck Club

So by that theory word would never spread about shady companies. People would still be buying Ford Fiestas, and we'd be giving hand outs to AIG. I sure like that idea.
No, I see it as someone should not spread slander about someone if they have nothing to back it up. Hear-Say is always far from the truth.

As far as turning the pcm back to stock and unlocking the tune, that's to awfully nice of him. Do you realize how easy that is to do? A PCM itself can be had for $50. If you need to go back to stock that's not the expensive part, but if I were to spend $250 on a tune I'd like the piece of mind knowing I could change tire sizes when going to the track, or adjust my timing for nitrous without having to send my tune back.
Yes I do realize how easy that is to do. And it is nice of him, but you said that he would not allow someone to do thier own tuning later on and that is false. And I do agree being able to tweek a few things would be nice, but in doing so every novice tuner out there will screw the tune up(I know I could), cause something to screw up and set the tune back to what it originally was and try to blame the tuner. You do not buy a book from an author, add to it, and then call it yours do you?

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

No, I see it as someone should not spread slander about someone if they have nothing to back it up. Hear-Say is always far from the truth.
It would be libel not slander if I were in fact committing it, but I know what you meant.

Yes I do realize how easy that is to do. And it is nice of him, but you said that he would not allow someone to do thier own tuning later on and that is false. And I do agree being able to tweek a few things would be nice, but in doing so every novice tuner out there will screw the tune up(I know I could), cause something to screw up and set the tune back to what it originally was and try to blame the tuner. You do not buy a book from an author, add to it, and then call it yours do you?

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic.
Alright, I guess you can continue to enjoy your Wheatley tune. For some people it's the best alternative, but for many like me it is not.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

It would be libel not slander if I were in fact committing it, but I know what you meant.
You got me on the slander lol. I wasnt refering to you though
Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Since I've had both I'll comment.

Wheatley is better for a stockish truck. Blackbear is better for when you get into deep modding territory. There was never a time when I wasnt able to get in contact with Wheatley. In fact, with a family and all presumably working all day I have no clue how he even has time or the energy to be on here at night. Hell, one time he even paid $55 to overnight me a PCM and then has also offered to pay ME because he made a mistake in the tune. LOL...had to respectfully decline that.

With all that said, and my experience, get the tuning software from the outset. It's so nice to be able to make changes on the fly.....check codes, log, and then have people on here that can help you out with your tune.

Everyone has to remember the nature of mail order tuning. It's not a very fast process.

Quick Reply: BlackBear