PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   Any advantage MAF vs 2bar SD tuning for low boost daily driver? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/any-advantage-maf-vs-2bar-sd-tuning-low-boost-daily-driver-555088/)

black04 04-10-2019 06:45 PM

Any advantage MAF vs 2bar SD tuning for low boost daily driver?

I picked up a turbo kit for my 03 Silverado extended cab which is my daily driver. I am planning to run 7-9lbs on my LQ9. I have been using HPtuners myself learning as I go. Currently the truck just has bolt ons with cam, MAF tuned and runs pretty well. My other 04 Silverado turbo truck has a 2bar SD tune but it's mainly a weekend truck, avoid sitting in traffic, doesn't go on long trips.

Is there any advantage to keeping the MAF for daily driving? SD tuning has been easier but I don't mind putting in the extra effort to tune the MAF if it will be better in day to day driving.

03sierraslt 04-10-2019 06:54 PM

If it’s the stock MAF it may max out before you hit that boost target. I like SD, but I don’t daily mine.

madmann26 04-11-2019 08:02 AM

I’ve been running an SD tune for years NA.

I prefer it. It seems to run better/smoother.

When I had the Whipple, it was SD as well and didn’t have any issues with it and it ran well.

03sierraslt 04-11-2019 06:52 PM

Mines been 2bar OLSD since like 06’ , 3bar now but same difference.

randeez 04-11-2019 07:57 PM

i left it on mine (so far) it's from a stock 6.2 so i think can scale larger than the older one. but it maxes out at 86lb/min which is like part throttle on 6psi 5000rpm.

it's not hard to tune just set up the table in the scanner its just one line to modify same as sd. scan/copy/multiply % .5/ repeat

black04 04-11-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt (Post 5460897)
Mines been 2bar OLSD since like 06’ , 3bar now but same difference.

Originally Posted by madmann26 (Post 5460858)
I’ve been running an SD tune for years NA.

I prefer it. It seems to run better/smoother.

When I had the Whipple, it was SD as well and didn’t have any issues with it and it ran well.

I run 2bar CLSD without issues on my regular cab turbo truck but every time i drive it I'm always logging and making adjustments. Since this one is my daily I'd rather leave my laptop at home, just wondering which compensates better in turbo applications for variations in temperature and altitudes, MAF vs SD?

Last Call 04-16-2019 10:14 AM

The limiting factor of the stock MAF is the hard limit of 512 grams/sec and hertz. Changing to an LS3 MAF will provide more hertz room, and you can scale around the 512 grams per second. If you don't want to do this work, an SD tune may be easier. If you tune the VE table properly, the fuel trims should take any fluctuation in airflow calculation error. Also, if you are CLSD, environmental changes like altitude should be calculated properly based on MAP reading and fuel trims.

Resolute_welding 04-16-2019 09:25 PM

I'm with everyone else, I bet itll max the MAF before you can get what you need out of it. CLSD should drive pretty well if you take the time to get your tables right.

RySmDPT14 05-02-2019 05:15 AM

I daily drive mine in SD up to 16 lbs before last week, have since dials it back to 12. MAF was maxed at 7psi. I prefer SD, just takes time to tune correctly, but totally worth it.