Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

99 4.8 swap to 02 6.0, Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Lolking at the change from balance test id say he has an injector issue... Provided spark is good and there is no drop in compression on the cylinders with the lower or higher change percentages...
The high readings may be now be caused by the false MAF table he put in the tune to make it run.

To the OP it should be withen + or -3 from 0 when running correctly.

The 4.8 MAF readings are different from a 6.0L and can affect the fueling.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Somehow missed that....OP you running the MAF from the 02 or the 99?? I have actually had them come up as different part numbers at work.....
Old 10-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by legerwn

We used HPTuner to re-program the computer with a stock 6.0 tune. Once the tune was installed the truck would not crank, if we left the 4.8 tune it would crank. We ended up installing the 6.0 tune but replacing the MAF table with the 4.8 to get the truck to crank and run.

Neal
The reason it might not have cranked initially is because of a VIN miss match.

The amount of air you pull through the MAF on a 4.8 Vs. a 6.0 is different. If you skew the tables you will have fueling issues just like your describing.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Somehow missed that....OP you running the MAF from the 02 or the 99?? I have actually had them come up as different part numbers at work.....
The MAF is from the 99

I tried the MAF from my 03 6.0 to see if that would correct the issue but no change.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The high readings may be now be caused by the false MAF table he put in the tune to make it run.

To the OP it should be withen + or -3 from 0 when running correctly.

The 4.8 MAF readings are different from a 6.0L and can affect the fueling.
+ or -3 on the fuel trims? (just to make sure I follow you)

I'll check with the guy that put the tune in but I think he said he only used the firring order of the 4.8 but everything else is the 6.0 tune. This is the part that has me stumped as the firing order should be the same. He said it was a known issue when doing this swap and had read about it on the internet.

I have never tuned a motor nor used that type of software so I'm a little behind on this but he did offer to let me use HPTunners to look around in the PCM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

I ran the injector balance test on the Denali, when I turned each injector off the LTFT went over +25% on all injectors (+25% looks to be max).

I'm going to replace the injectors on the 99 and see what that does.

thanks for all the help,

I'll update when I get them replaced and see what the scanner says
Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by legerwn
+ or -3 on the fuel trims? (just to make sure I follow you)

I'll check with the guy that put the tune in but I think he said he only used the firring order of the 4.8 but everything else is the 6.0 tune. This is the part that has me stumped as the firing order should be the same. He said it was a known issue when doing this swap and had read about it on the internet.

I have never tuned a motor nor used that type of software so I'm a little behind on this but he did offer to let me use HPTunners to look around in the PCM.
Yes, You should be as close to zero as possible when Idling.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Yes, You should be as close to zero as possible when Idling.
gotcha, thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

We replaced the injectors with the injectors from the 4.8,

Bank 1
Injector 1 off +13%
Injector 3 off +13%
Injector 5 off +22%
Injector 7 off +22%

Bank 2
Injector 2 off +13%
Injector 4 off +15%
Injector 6 off +25%
Injector 8 off +25%

the LTFT is now +2.3% both bank 1 & 2 while this is a change form -8.6 and -6.3% with the old injectors.

The front section of the engine looks to have something going on as the front 4 cylinders are a little off on the injector balance test.

I pulled the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to see if the LTFT #'s would change (+2.3% to -.8%) and they did so that looks good.

still working to get in touch with the guy that did the PCM tunning to see if he can change all the tables to the 6.0 tune to see if this will make a difference.

Gota do a compression test to see if anything is out of the ordinary there.

If there was a vacuum leak on the front section of the intake would it affect the front cylinders more than the back ones?

Need to pull the plugs to see if any look significantly different than the others to get an idea if I need to be looking at a particular cylinder.

Thanks for all the help,

I'll update when I get more info,

Neal
Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeas a vaccuum leak will affect the cylinders closest to it more so than those further away...compressin test is probably best plan of action at this point.... Make sure you disable fuel so you arent getting false readings or filling the cylinders with fuel....

Quick Reply: 99 4.8 swap to 02 6.0, Issues