THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Toyota's letter to hybrid owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6spd stripped down Z28s could pull down 30mpg and were about the same price too. They didn't suck either, a major bonus when buying something.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

How the hell does a Honda Civic Hybrid get 26mpg in the city, when an all gas Civic gets that or better?? That literally seems almost impossible...How does a tiny Jeep Liberty get 11mpg? A 3-ton Dodge Ram gets better than that with a V8.....kinda makes you doubt the testing done by Consumer Report. Maybe it's just me....

Ryan
Old 11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the diesel vw bugs get 50+ MPG (you just said car, not GAS powered car) and you can pick up a used one for around 8k
Old 11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
How the hell does a Honda Civic Hybrid get 26mpg in the city, when an all gas Civic gets that or better?? That literally seems almost impossible...How does a tiny Jeep Liberty get 11mpg? A 3-ton Dodge Ram gets better than that with a V8.....kinda makes you doubt the testing done by Consumer Report. Maybe it's just me....

Ryan

keep in mind, these hybrid systems add a significant amount of weight. That can really hurt city milage, especially in little cars.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

trey, this is off of the subject, but did you keep that name from camaroz28.com, i swear i remember that name from that board when i used to visit over there
Old 11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

:yup:
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
vw golf TDI for the same price actually gets 21mpg. I'm sure you could pull off a hyundia or kia gets about the same milage as a prius would ACTUALLY GET (the point of the article)

They'd be close. a TDI would blow it out of the water

TDI guys have a "1000mile club" where they pull down 1000miles in a 17 gallon tank

and (again) I couldn't build a prius on their site for less that about $23,500

edit: Kia.com says $11,xxx gets you 38mpg

hyundaiusa.com says 35mpg for $9,999
Good info. The Jetta/Golf TDI is actually a diesel, but gets 36-38 MPG real world, 100HP but 170TQ or something like that. Can put bigger injectors in there for more power. No tuning needed for the upgrade, more fuel = more power with the diesel. It is certainly an interesting ride, but they are not that comfortable. Have you ever sat in a Golf or Jetta? Plus they have problems. Talk with a VW mechanic, or someone with a VW/Audi and see how they get treated at the dealership in Service.

I don't think I would buy a Kia anything. How's their JD Power rating?

The Hyundai is a possibility, they have okay quality.

There's more to it then price, if you really want to get down and dirty. For some reason, I think quality should have a place somewhere in the discussion. One $20K car does not necessarily equal another.
JD Power 2003 IQS
JD Power 2004 IQS
JD Power 2005 IQS
Old 11-30-2005, 10:55 PM
14 Second Truck Club

i'm buying a 1987 Lincoln Town Car... seriously
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude the article is made up is no one else getting that?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Good info. The Jetta/Golf TDI is actually a diesel, but gets 36-38 MPG real world, 100HP but 170TQ or something like that. Can put bigger injectors in there for more power. No tuning needed for the upgrade, more fuel = more power with the diesel. It is certainly an interesting ride, but they are not that comfortable. Have you ever sat in a Golf or Jetta? Plus they have problems. Talk with a VW mechanic, or someone with a VW/Audi and see how they get treated at the dealership in Service.

I don't think I would buy a Kia anything. How's their JD Power rating?

The Hyundai is a possibility, they have okay quality.

There's more to it then price, if you really want to get down and dirty:
JD Power 2003 Initial Quality Study
JD Power 2004 IQS
JD Power 2005 IQS
Actually, my roomate has a golf TDI and I drove with him all the way to DC from Michigan. We got about 50mpg. No ***** footing either. That gets the actual milage on the sticker. Like I said, TDI guys have a 1000mile club where they pull down 1000miles in a 17 gallon tank. Thats 55mph though. roomate made it from michigan to washington state with something like 35 gallons.

The car sucks. I hate it with a passion. I dont know about seats, his are upgraded. I just hate the car. so stupid in some features. The seat recliner lever is a ******* fine adjustment ****. I could go on forever.

Reliability, i dont know. I hear it sucks for stupid thigns like electronics and sensors and whatever. Parts are expensive and hard to find. He can only run VW coolant. Needs to drive 50miles to get it. I hear a $7000 battery is a ************ though. I doubt the insight is a ton better, even if it is an improvement. He has 160k miles on his 02 with relatively few problems aside from the "whoops my torque wrench wasn't calibrated and my timing belt got eaten up" incident. A glow plug and a sensor here and there.

The power? The god damn prius is like 78 horsepower. At least the civic is 140hp and an optional near 200hp si version.

I dont want to debate which one sucks less, they all suck. every car from the kia to the prius. Id say the civic sucks the least but who really cares at that point.

Quick Reply: Toyota's letter to hybrid owners