THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Ticket for 'exhibition of speed'

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
Here's what you say to the judge: "Guilty."

You said it yourself, "it was on purpose". Man up.
screw that. the system is fucked, so play it. hire a 50 dollar fix a ticket lawyer and take it to court. the cop will not show up and they will drop the case. problem solved for cheaper than the price of the ticket.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
Breaking the law is also stupid, especially at a presumably busy intersection. He can go in there and plead his case and hope for leniency but if he doesn't get it, there is no room for whining. Isn't there a saying, either "You gotta pay to play." or "You gotta pay to be stupid."? I think both apply here but no big deal, we've all been there. Lesson learned.
As I said before, I had no idea it was illegal to peel out here until last night. So yes, it was a lesson learned. Is it not reasonable to ask for leniency for a first time violation, of a law that I wasn't aware of?
If I had been pulled over for blatant disregard for the law, be it actual racing or speeding, I wouldn't even have posted this thread. It would have been a completely different matter.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

dont tell a judge that you didnt know it was against the law to peel out. they will think you are lying to them because it's one of those laws that you should assume.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hire a lawyer and get it reduced to a non-moving violation. It ends up being cheaper in the long run than points, insurance increases, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 on lawyering up. I like the green light idea... Someone honked for you to go, you Look up and gunned it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

In louisiana we can call the DA & tell he r she that we don't mind paying the fine just can't be on record for job purposes! But u got to have a almost perfect record! And I never had to go to court all I did is just play the fine!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a traffic violation pretty much everywhere, but I've always had a problem with the phrase "Exhibition of speed". Speed had nothing to do with it.

Exhibition of Torque is what is should be called.

Had a friend get one of tickets many years ago. He was making a right at an intersection and the tires made some noise when he went around the turn. Cop was sitting right there, heard it, pulled him over. Talk about being ripped!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell um you just had the TVS put on and didnt know it was going to peel out like that..
That ticket isnt really correct anyways...It should have been an "improper take off" ticket
Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

#1 know the legal definition of that particular statute you have been charged with
#2 try to contact the District Attorney / prosecutor for the jurisdiction. Explain that it was a simple miscalculation of the go pedal and you barked the tires and ask what they can do for you. They may have it thrown out right there or offer a reduced fine/ non-moving violation.
#3 (if #2 doesn't work) tell the judge you miscalculated the go pedal or there must have been some traction impairment (oil on the road, just left the car wash....) and you just let the truck spin in a controlled manner thinking that cleaning it would clean the tire off, improving traction therefore making the remainder of your trip safer.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
dont tell a judge that you didnt know it was against the law to peel out. they will think you are lying to them because it's one of those laws that you should assume.
yep...and there was some liquid ( oil or whatever)on the street...this is a BS ticket.no harm no foul.

Quick Reply: Ticket for 'exhibition of speed'