THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Pleasantly surprized by Microsoft/Xbox tech support

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pleasantly surprized by Microsoft/Xbox tech support

I bought my xbox sometime early last year from gamestop as a refurbished console. It lasted a little over a year and then started to crap out and give me the infamous red ring of death. I called tech support months later and was told to go through their online repair application. I tried doing that and was told my console was out of warranty so I would have to pay. I didn't want to pay so I put it off, but later decided I might as well get it fixed. I tried logging on to their windows live system to process my repair request, but it kept telling me I was using the wrong password. I reset the password twice, writing it down both times and it still told me I had the wrong password. So I put it off for another month or two.

Well I called them this morning and let the tech guy know that the online repair request application was not working for me, so he said he could do it over the phone. We had everything set up to get it fixed when he says "oh wait, you bought this thing in 2006, it's not under warranty anymore" and told me I would have to pay the repair costs. I asked him if he could talk to his supervisors and possibly get the fees waved (upwards of $75!!!). He put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said he had good news, that my console would be repaired 100% FREE.

I was pretty happy, and was really surprized that they actually did it. $75 is a pretty substantial amount of money. Just felt like sharing because Microsoft always gets a bad wrap, but they went above and beyond for me!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its the 3 red rings then it should have been covered by a 3 year extended warranty that was added later because of so many of them taking dumps.

I had to send mine in about a month ago, was generally surprised also. They said it would take about 2-3 weeks to repair, I had a new(refurbished) system in less than a week, including all the shipping time.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Deal. I dread the day I see that Red Ring.

The reason MOST companies get bad raps is from ******** that call in and be ******** to someone trying to help them. Then when they don't get their way the go online and call everyone ********.

I know this first hand. I'll do everything I possibly can to help someone being a complete horses *** and then I'M the bad guy because they are trying to do something that can't be done. If you tell me your bringing something back at 4pm when the place is open but get there at 11PM when they aren't. that is not my fault.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guy i work with buys Xbox's off ebay that have water damage or something... he goes thru them and turns them into a awesome gaming system.. well over 3000 games built in
Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i got a PS3
Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03chevyroyce
thats why i got a PS3
+1. I bought my X-box strictly from Walmart because I had a good feeling it would be getting returned, and you can return anything to Walmart very easily. Sure enough it lasted exactly 18 days, so it was returned and I spent the $50 difference on a PS3. It was a fun 18 days tho, Halo3 is a blast.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, but COD4 on PS3 is better than halo 3!

free online play and wireless internet FTW
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by viciousknid
good deal. I dread the day i see that red ring.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckk kkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Where's the Beef?

AHHH wait false alarm. The Power Supply was green but i shut everything down, Unplugged the supply and plugged it back in and now everything is green again.

Holy **** that was a bad feeling.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

lmao..

Quick Reply: Pleasantly surprized by Microsoft/Xbox tech support