THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

No more squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more squeaking

I have finally had enough, tired of loosing sleep over the silly hamster running at midnight. We got him a new wheel, but it squeaked. However, this was an improvement of the loud banging that came from the old one.

Well, a few night ago, while he was keeping me up, throwing a fit I took his wheel away, I had a brain storm. I went to work and got some old computer hard drives. I pulled them apart and harvested some of the bearings. I brought them home tonight, and modified the little stinkers hamster wheel. The bearings are from a 7200 RPM hard drive, I doubt the hamster will ever break about 40-45 RPM.

The wheel wasn't built balanced, and nothing about it's original design was properly aligned. I got everything as close as I can. It spins so freely now you can blow on it and it spin really fast. It is totally silent unless you spin it super fast and the unbalanced state shows. I would guess you have to get the thing spinning around 500 RPM's before is starts to make an any noises.

The hamster got on it and just sat still, it rocked back and forth for about 10 minutes.

OK, say what you will, but I am baby sitting this silly hamster until a friend gets back from college. I am sure he will enjoy the high tech, high rpm, super performance hamster toy when he gets back.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Tribe Shaman

shame on you, he lost his only joy
Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should mount an electric motor on it!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:21 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the squeaking could have been the best noise in the world to the mouse and as he changed pace and stutter stepped gradually he could make his own lil song.

And you took it all away.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by viciousknid
the squeaking could have been the best noise in the world to the mouse and as he changed pace and stutter stepped gradually he could make his own lil song.

And you took it all away.
Hampster Dream Killer :nunchuk1:

Nice thinking on the hard drive bearings, I probably would've just cooked a hampster nugget
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

If he isn't happy, like when I took his wheel away from him, he bangs on the cage somehow. It sounds like someone is beating it with a hammer hard.

I noticed with the old wheels he would reach up real high on the wheel, then jerk his back legs up real fast. This would make the wheel rock for about 3 seconds. Now when he does it, it rocks for a very long time. I am thinking that is what he wants to do, because he sits still until it stops rocking.

I heard him running fast last night for the first time since we got him. With the old wheels he couldn't stand up because of the supports. Since there is no supports going through the cage any more he stand up in there and really goes at it. I was wrong, apparently he can spin it so fast that it starts to make noise. The noise is so faint that my ceiling fan drowns it out.

All in all, I would call this project a success! I slept all night long, for the first time in 3 weeks.

Last edited by cttandy; 09-18-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

vids of hampster rocking the most high performance hamster wheel!!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
vids of hampster rocking the most high performance hamster wheel!!
I was going to try, but he won't come out and run until it is dark in the room. The only reason I know it makes noise and that he was running fast last night is his cage is beside the computer desk. My wife was in bed, so the lights were off. He decided to get over the glow of the monitor and go for a run.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I find myself oddly drawn to PT.net for the hampster update. This is wierd.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cant believe this hasnt been posted yet....

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...ter_181513.htm

Yours has a ball bearing turbo!!!

Quick Reply: No more squeaking