THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Message from tbyrne

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Message from tbyrne

http://ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232608

Originally Posted by tbyrne
I'm just going to make this post and leave it. I won't be coming back into the thread to discuss anything. Why? There are alot of good people out there and then there are the people that have nothing better to do than to make up stories, speculate and bash others. I've been reading alot of that in the threads about me. People can say what I want, I know who I am.

Contrary to what some think, I'm not sitting on a tropical island sipping fruity drinks with umbrellas. It's actually far from that. TBYRNE Motorsports was open for 11 years so it was a tough decision to pack it up. Why did that happen? It was a combination of alot of personal issues and the economy. I've found that I've sometimes talked about my personal life to much online so I'm not going to get into many more details about that. Yes, there were discussions about an upcoming divorce. You never know what life will toss at you. The last few months have shown me what's really important. That is my family. I could have no physical possessions but as long as I have my family, then I have everything! I was working way, way to much and setting the wrong priorities. Sometimes it's better to see that late than never.

The economy really didn't help either. Business slowed down alot over the last year and then there are always new vendors popping up. Many customers talk about good service but I've found that most go for the lowest price. There were times when I'd spend 45 minutes on the phone with someone and then have them purchase from somewhere else because their price was lower. Our price match policy helped and we deeply discounted some products at times to capture the sale. But you can only do some much without losing money. I hoped the economy would turn around but that didn't happen so I just had to make the decision to draw the line. I've read that I was out to screw customers. Take their money with no intention of delivering the product. That's not even close to being true! There were customers that received a refund if we knew the order wasn't going to be filled. Some weren't even charged if it was questionable. I've found that in the end, there were some orders that weren't filled. That wasn't intentional. The only thing that I can do is apologize. The credit card company can help with that so nobody is out any money. Didn't want any customers to lose out! There will be some that will say that their orders were delayed. We did our best to make things happen as quickly as possible. All companies have backordered products sometimes. In the end vendors have to rely on the manufacturers to provide accurate dates to provide us with product.

From here, there isn't much more that I can say. I probably should have posted just after we closed but I know how the net is. I figured there would be stories floating around. Those are going to happen no matter what. Of course there have been a bunch of them. I liked being in the performance industry and who knows what will happen in the future. There are alot of things that I would do different. And as they say, live and learn.

Take care.
Tom

PS - I'm not going to be posting this all over the net. I'm sure some will help it find it's way to other car forums. That is fine.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats very unfortunante his business and personal life took a turn for the worse,
Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed, Cowboy. I never got to talk to Tom, but did buy from him(TByrne). Great service, prices, etc. Strikes me as a class act, then & now. Funny thing about rumors, good or bad...everyone wants to spread them, but when it's about them, its another ballgame. No, that DOES NOT mean Tom spread rumors, it's a reflection more on the society we live in & what some people think is important. Most people don't walk out of their comfort zone. I wish him & his family all the best; if he reopens, he'd get my business!!!!! Hopefully everyone else will do the same! Everyone deserves respect but don't always receive. I'm blown away more people haven't commented on this post. I lurked on PT long before joining. I may not have the fastest truck, slickest paint, or whatever, or be relatively new, but you can bet I'll back someone when their family.

Good luck, Tom Byrne. One of your Pt.net brothers.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-02-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: When they're family.(Sp.)
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats is so bad to here, but seems that he lost something that mattered alot, may be getting something that means the most. Plain and simple a buisness is a hard thing to run, you have to be there most of the time, considering the way the economy is, people will go to a cheaper vender. Also there is just so many new venders out there and more opening up, like he said. It is hard to compete unless your buying by the thousand(parts). I hope that things get back togather for him, that maybe a new buisness will be in the future....

John
Old 04-02-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thunder, thanks for posting this. I felt Tom deserved to know there's more than just $ that people give a **** about. People 1st. The money will follow.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Made in South Korea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least we now have an answer
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I love how Tom complains about other shops undercutting him on price when he was the ***** that started that **** first.

And as far as the economy effecting his business that is what happens when you build your business on just having the cheapest prices. All the good shops I know haven't been effected by the economy because their customer base was built on quality service not just price.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddboost
I love how Tom complains about other shops undercutting him on price when he was the ***** that started that **** first.

And as far as the economy effecting his business that is what happens when you build your business on just having the cheapest prices. All the good shops I know haven't been effected by the economy because their customer base was built on quality service not just price.
Damn tell us how you really feel............

John
Old 04-02-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have kinda kept track of the threads about this and even though I have never done any business with Tbyrne I don't think he should be beaten up on the net for making a bad decision or two which may or may not have led to the closing of his respected and well liked business. Atleast those in limbo have an explanation and for those of you with family's at home you can understand more than those without what is more important. Let's not compare him to enron or others who just said oh well and screwed everyone. I know doing that was never his intention. Ive owned a small business, I understand the effort and sacrafice involved to make it work and sometimes it just dosen't work out the way you want it to, there are alot of things in business the owner has no real control over. Good luck to you Tom in whatever life holds for you in the future!!! And to those competing vendors who were "undercut" the market is wide open so take it!! Don't tear the man down unless you can do it face to face. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well said, LowBlack99.

Quick Reply: Message from tbyrne