THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Looking for a Sport Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Sport Bike

So I'm thinking about getting a bike. For a general idea I'm looking for something around the 600cc range, brand really not that important but I really like Yamaha. I've rode quads most of my life, Banshee, Raptor etc. Think I have total time on a yz125 dirt bike of about 5 hours and that has been a while ago.

I found a 2007 Kawasaki 650R for $5500 with 2300 miles on it. If the guy has it I'll probably take a look at it.

Anyone have suggestions? Looking around the 5k-7k range. Middle of the road bike, not a Hayabusa definitally out of my skill range.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jadaven
So I'm thinking about getting a bike. For a general idea I'm looking for something around the 600cc range, brand really not that important but I really like Yamaha. I've rode quads most of my life, Banshee, Raptor etc. Think I have total time on a yz125 dirt bike of about 5 hours and that has been a while ago.

I found a 2007 Kawasaki 650R for $5500 with 2300 miles on it. If the guy has it I'll probably take a look at it.

Anyone have suggestions? Looking around the 5k-7k range. Middle of the road bike, not a Hayabusa definitally out of my skill range.
I myself bought a Bike with extremely little experience. In fact I had riden a dirt bike only a very few times ever and it had been 10 years since. I went and got a 01 zx-6r ninja with 4,700 miles in MINT cond. for $3,500. It was a gorgeous bike for the age. The lack of experience made me get a 600, I took it easy and got used to it. I was racing in within months and driving it daily. I then found that I wish i hadnt got a 600. I was told this while looking but i shrugged it off and said, "i shouldnt get anything bigger because I dont have a clue what im doing." Real soon I was wanting more. Twisting it to WOT DID still give me a thrill but I had the feeling that I had it under control. Once you get to that point its not fun anymore. Lol

Anyways, moral, You think you want a 600-650 now, get a 750+ and keep your head straight. Taht way your not wanting to trade up in 3 months.

P.S. its not the bike that kills the rider, its the rider or the traffic. Good luck with your decision
when i got it in June 2008 4,700 miles

before i sold it June 2009 13,xxx-ish, setup for AMA drag.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Teching In

depends on what kinda riding you want to do/ how much self control you have. be honest with yourself. i started 9 years ago with a r6, since then i've had a daytona 675 and now a gsxr750. i've ridden everything from a fully dressed harley, dropped and stretched hayabusa, and even now my wife's new ninja 250. When I bought my 750 it was because i needed a lil more power for when I'm 2 up with my wife, the 675 just wasnt cutting it, and i hate riding around in 3rd or 4th winding out the gears. I almost bought a 1000, but most of my friends ride liter bikes, and i've never had a problem making them feel like fools, even on the 675. I also don't ride the interstate or other non-curvy roads unless i'm commuting. All and all, I spend more time on my wifes 250 now just for the "ha ha ha, you just got railed in the corners by a girl bike" factor. remember, it's not the size or power of the bike, it's whether or not you know how to use it all. PS, in a straight line, my 750 has no problem with stock liter bikes, and i have very few go fast goodies.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking that maybe a commute here and there because the interstates in Baltimore are horrible. More for when I have days off that it is awesome outside. The roads up in PA and outside of Baltimore are not that bad. Self control, I think I have some. Probably a little more cautious than I would have been a few years ago.

That's a nice looking bike baSICK5.0