THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

I want to see pics and info on your Car/Truck trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am excited. I went and picked up my own trailer today. It isn't anything special but it is 16ft. with attached ramps. I will get some pictures tomorrow and get a full game plan to get it ready for action.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New 8 5x24 Enclosed Trailer Cargo Car Hauler Dexter Axles Auto Toy Transporter | eBay

dad and I were looking at this one.

We are moving in about 2 years so we will use as storage and hauling atvs cars and such.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:57 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Here's my before and after. It's a 2003 Big Tex 18 ft dovetail with tandem 7000 lb axles. Bought for $1200, put another $1800 or so into fixing it up. Had a crappy deck, rust everywhere, torn up fenders, mismatched wheels, trashed wiring and lights, and rails welded to the tongue. Replaced deck, fixed cracked welds, replaced fenders, painted, re-wired, added all new LED lights, hooked up brakes, replaced one set of wheel bearings, new wheels and tires...

Chris, you should Line-x the underside of the Frame to prevent Rust and corrosion. You don't have to go to a Line-x dealer either, just get a can of DIY Line-x and coat the underside as well as any area that will get wear on it. Would save you from having to redo all the work you did on that trailer to make it beautiful. Heck, even coat the wood floor beams!

Originally Posted by Chevy_King1500
New 8 5x24 Enclosed Trailer Cargo Car Hauler Dexter Axles Auto Toy Transporter | eBay

dad and I were looking at this one.

We are moving in about 2 years so we will use as storage and hauling atvs cars and such.
That is a ridiculous price!! I would do the "buy it now" option rather than wait till the bids go up. You would be hard pressed to find one for cheaper and that looks like it's well made, according to the ad at least.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Name:  38145A61-B1EB-4FE4-9794-D22FB2DCE0D9_zps6stobi9c.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  181.0 KB

Open deck 15 foot dual axle 4 brake. Weighs 1300 empty. Held my mustang perfectly.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Chris, you should Line-x the underside of the Frame to prevent Rust and corrosion. You don't have to go to a Line-x dealer either, just get a can of DIY Line-x and coat the underside as well as any area that will get wear on it. Would save you from having to redo all the work you did on that trailer to make it beautiful. Heck, even coat the wood floor beams!
I might do that eventually. If I do, I'll probably take it in and have some place sandblast it, then Linex...I did an ok job of getting the rust off, but it wasn't perfect. Living up here, I've already got tons of rock chips in the paint and the metal underneath has surface rust on it...starting to look a little haggard already

We are talking about trying to move back to AZ next summer, so I'm going to wait till then at least, just so we're out of the crappy weather and road conditions up here.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Here are some pictures. She needs a little bit of love but is functional right now. Two first things are get the wiring correct and the brakes working. The lights work but must be hooked to the aux power, and the previous owner didn't wire the brakes. Hopefully they are functional just not wired.
I want to put a steel deck on it because we scrap cars occationally and often drag then across the deck. It will get a storage box, and reciver for the 10,000# winch along with a battery to run it sometime next week.

The other trailer in the last pic is the one I had been using. It is a friends.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

10k lb winch? I know they say you should double the weight but isn't that for a vertical pull and pick up situation?

I had a $500 4500 Warn Winch from home depot and it never had an issue pulling any ple of crap up on it. Heaviest thing was a lifted army truck w flat tires. Prolly 7-8k lbs. Biggest pain was a car w no wheels on it. We had to use 2x6s to steer it lol

Last edited by Choda; 12-13-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Yea got an amazing deal on it for $300. It is an 8000 but it doesn't slow down much pulling anything. Drug the suburban on the trailer with no rear tires.

Last edited by custm2500; 12-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Here is mine.

.Name:  20130511_181728_zps4a477077.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  262.1 KB

20', 12000 lb capacity with some minor custom changes including the winch mount and the fairlead on the rear of the deck. Wish it was wider honestly. I may also cut that stupid spare tire bracket off of it because quite frankly its always in the way. It's nice as it ensures you always have the tire...... but otherwise its always in the way when loading. There is nowhere else to mount it either that would be easily accessed at least. Undermount spare with a winch like my trucks would be awesome...... but also would make the spare tire lower to the ground than my axles. About the only downfall of not having the doublestacked c channel frame most trailers have. I also need to extend my raps as they are simply too short to be useful in almost any situation..... even a normal height truck. I wanted a battery box but said screw it based upon a lack of room. I don't have the space for it anywhere beyond building something right on the front of my deck. The hitch rails to ball connection is quite short unlike most trailers I see. I also am having a good chunk of the trailer sand blasted and redone in Linex because the paint took close to 2 years to harden to any type of impact resistance...... and is still soft and useless.

The winch is overkill but useful beyond the trailer.

Name:  20130511_172857_zps87da2948.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  135.5 KB

Loading this car:

Name:  1383890756218_zps47c1d5b2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  97.2 KB

Was awful. Had no easily accessed incline to use as an advantage so the only way to get it on was jack up the trailer as high as the hitch would go and flatten all 4 tires...... yuck. There are outfits that make ramp extenders...... or you make them out of wood which is probably what I will do being a cheap *** lol.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 12-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine is nothing fancy. 20' dovetail that I bought very used but in pretty good condition several years ago. When I got it, it had no trailer brakes, 4 different size tires and 2 different types of wheels. First thing I did was buy a new wheel to match the other three and get 5 new load star tires (kept the mismatched wheel for a spare). I also did some minor repair, added electric brakes on both axles and relocated the tool box off the tongue to the deck as it would contact the tow vehicle's bumper on tight turns. I used it for a while with just air bags on the Tahoe then decided to get a load distribution hitch for it which makes a world of difference. It now hauls the truck fantastically.
The day I brought it home:

After a few upgrades with the truck loaded up:

Borrowing the in-law's tractor:

I still have a few upgrades I want to do.
-Weld in D-rings for tie-downs
-add a winch and battery box
-make a set of longer ramps
-add under trailer spare tire carrier (removed from the truck)
-strip and re-coat the entire trailer

Last edited by BigKID; 12-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: I want to see pics and info on your Car/Truck trailer