THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

How is the ridgeline the truck of the year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the ridgeline the truck of the year?

In all honest, being as unbias as I can be-
all of the big 3s truck **** that truck up.
Avalanche ***** it up.

I will say before I continue this rant- the storage space under the bed is AWESOME.

But why not the silverado with V-max?

since when has a 5000lb tow capacity been acceptable in a modern 1/2 ton?
6300rpm in a V6 240hp truck? That engine is going to CRY under load.

I'll let the ford and dodge guys chime in but here are the major shortcomings of it compared to GM

smaller truck with a smaller bed has worse turning radius.

Their "crew cab" has rear leg room much smaller than the GM crewcab, falling between the ext cab and CC silverado. Shoulder room is dominated by the GM ext cab and the MOST IMPORANT thing, hip room, is again dominated by GM.

Power?
Its pretty close. Down only 100hp and 140ft lbs to the v-max that gives up a MASSIVE 2mpg. DOD will give the GM lineup a fuel economy ADVANTAGE!

Ground clearance: down 1/2'' over GM (btw, why do 2500s have more ground clearance?. I figure the rear axle is the lowest point)

Tried and true factor: You cant go wrong with any of the big 3 trucks from 1500 to 1 ton diesels. They are all tried and true. I don’t know about the Honda reliability- but the big 3 are a sure thing. And reliability is one of the biggest things for truck owners.

I don’t understand why this country hates itself so much that a "made in the USA" sticker is a deterrent (and not just in automotive). Any other country would be moving to protect their industries when under threat. We, like the stereotypical big, dumb, rich, idiots that we are just stand here and proclaim that we must play fair even if others dont.

Meh, I'm done now.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That thing is a running joke on the Avalanche boards. What has happened to this world since '02 when The AV was the truck of the year.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

that thing is a total joke- yeah the bed truck is neat, but not enough to even make me take a second look at it. It is only a V6, which may be ok for carring a small load back from Home Depot in the suburbs, but that ain't gonna cut it when I want to tug a camper across the country. The new Tacoma and Frontier are actual trucks, both with better engines and actual truck capibility. And finally, it was a car magazine that made the choice (motor trend) so of course they're gonna pick the car as the winner
Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now I remember why I dont subscribe to magazines.

Ps: Vehicles are losing more and more charactor every year. I think 1990(or so) was the peak of automotive reliability with mercedes, less than 1 problem per vehicle IIRC. Lexus is now at 1.43 PPV(?). Those numbers stick out in my head, might be off though.

back in the day benz said "ok we are going to make an SUV. Go buy one of each SUV and make everything a little bit better than everyone elses. Then price it"

now its "do what you can for $47,000, then every year start taking stuff off till it breaks- then make that half as good as it used to be and put it back on"

Cars are all becoming so generic and appliance like.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

much of that "truck of the year" title is bull.. if youve noticed... i dont think the same truck has been the truck of the year two years in a row or more.. idk what the game is.. but it seems like the award is given to a different make every year to keep it varied. That would be the only explanation.. lol.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've noticed that too. it seems like the newest truck gets the award- regardless of what it is. Then they look for a reason to make it truck of the year.

How can a TRUCK's powertrain, payload, dimensions and towing capabilities be overlooked when comparing them?

"Who cares about bed size, cab size, engine, towing, payload, available quadrasteer, offroad packages etc- this one has a little storage compartment in the bed!

I'm no "dont forget pearl harbor" redneck- but this truck is NOT legit. Honda fucked up from a performance point of view. I wouldn't be pissed if the Nissan or Yota truck won- but this is just a joke.
Infact, when my mom asks me what car to get in a year- it probobly wont be american.

Effing retards. GM management, marketing, etc may be a joke- but their powertrain dept is laying a smackdown on EVERYONE.

Whatever, I'm sure I'll be passing a ridgeline with a trailer soon enough. I just made some riced out civic my bitch, hopefully he'll come back with a fartpiped ridgeline and pull that hp:L **** on me again. (man, it must be frustrating to get smacked down by a truck after it cut you off for being a retard. I had to cut him off because his slow tried to not let me in when I was already 1/2way in the lane- blinker on and all. He sped up from 100ft back to try and not let me in front of him. He kept trying to get past me to cut me off but wasn't fast enough . I hope his girlfriend was in the car. )

Last edited by treyZ28; 01-05-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately the Ridgeline got "Truck of the Year" because...it's a Honda. Magazine tests today are very biased. It seems like all the Honda/Toyota cars and trucks are winning today. In my opinion, the Ridgeline is attractive to "normal" car consumers because of its practicality and uniqueness. Normal consumers don't haul/tow heavy loads, don't care about performance, and don't care about buying a Honda "truck", LOL. As long as it gets them from point A to point B on a daily basis, they don't care. This is the reason why I don't like magazine tests anymore.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay maybe you have a honda engine ask any1, what would be more reliable a chevy silverado oor honda ridgeline their answer would be HONDA they should get slaped. They would struggle with 5k pounds imagine going up a small hill what 4-5k rpms while were doing 2-3500 rpms lol i think this truck is a POS
Old 01-05-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarandDriver

So, is the Honda a car or a truck? Not to sound like Bill Clinton, but that depends on what you mean by "truck." In fact, it's neither, and who cares anyway, because those hard distinctions are no longer useful. Let's appreciate the Ridgeline for what it is: a new type of utility vehicle.

On the shakedown run to Mansonville, the Ridgeline scurried up and down the same rock-ridden trail as the others, but it was the least comfortable in this outdoor role. It was the only truck in the test with full-time four-wheel drive, but without a low-range transfer case, so it couldn't creep downhill in the effortless manner you get with engine braking. Rather, we had to ride the brakes. We heard more nasty scraping noises than we did in the others, although a visual inspection didn't reveal any damage.

If you're part of the minute subset of pickup owners who enjoy hard-core off-roading, the Ridgeline is not the truck for you.

The rest of us will appreciate some clever ideas. For starters, there's the dent-and-corrosion-resistant bed. It's not oversized, but the wheelhouses barely intrude into the cargo floor. It has a unique trunk that is recessed below the bed floor, providing nine cubic feet of lockable space. You access the trunk via a handy dual-action tailgate that swings open from right to left and opens downward like a traditional tailgate. The trunk is watertight and has a drain, turning it into a very large beverage cooler. The only thing we found to complain about were those sloping bed sides. The top edge of the bed is 53.5 inches off the ground at its lowest point, and it's next to impossible to reach into the bed without leaning against the sheetmetal.

The interior is a combination of handy touches and spacious accommodations. The large center console expands like an accordion and has numerous dividers. The rear seat was the roomiest and most comfortable of the bunch. It feels like a couch, with a high bottom cushion, plenty of shoulder room, and a relaxed backrest angle. The Ridgeline was the only vehicle fit to accommodate three adults in back. All the seats are covered in a nylon fabric that feels grippy and durable. The radio, on the other hand, is a far reach from the driver's seat, and the front interior door handles look like chrome shovel handles, but the ergonomics are otherwise first-rate.

And so is the driving experience. Although the Nissan was considered pretty good in this group, the Honda "is in another league," according to one test driver. The ride is on the firm side, but the payoff is a clear communications line between the road and driver. We're not talking sports-car feel here, but it's head and shoulders above its competitors. The Honda topped the chart in every subjective handling category.

Combine the chassis, bed, and large interior with the smooth, quiet, and adequately powerful engine, and you have, well, a winner. The bar has been raised.
Talk about a huge load of bull ****.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

All in all it's just a joke, most if the time the company that pays the magazine the most to claim it the winner gets it. It has been that way with a ton of stuff for years and always will be..

Quick Reply: How is the ridgeline the truck of the year?