THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Bonds does it....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be dissin on the Babe now
Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youre either a fan of bonds or your not. and most that arent wont back him on his record breaking
Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Babe Ruth had to have a pinch runner from home plate when he hit at the end of his career. Hmmmm..... seen that in the last 80 years on a consistent basis.
LOL, you've been reading to many fiction books. I hope you aren't trying to say he had somebody run for him after he hit the ball.

And honestly guys, have any of you ever played baseball other than your recreational softball league?

Baseball now is 10x harder than it ever was. Aaron did it when guys were throwing 85. Bonds did it when everbody was throwing 95. You can still hit a baseball 500 feet when somebody is pitching 85, that's why we have a homerun derby contest.

You can say what you want, but baseball has and always will be a progressive sport. It's the same reason why Cy Young has 500 wins, yet no one will ever touch that because Cy Young threw about 75-80 miles an hour and he pitched with no rest, but games weren't 4 hours long with a 40k crown and millions of dollars at stake.

Now how I feel about Bonds is irrelevant, but don't try and say the game of baseball is easier, and Bonds had it easier than Aaron or Ruth because I guarantee you, you'll lose that arguement
Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
LOL, you've been reading to many fiction books. I hope you aren't trying to say he had somebody run for him after he hit the ball.

And honestly guys, have any of you ever played baseball other than your recreational softball league?

Baseball now is 10x harder than it ever was. Aaron did it when guys were throwing 85. Bonds did it when everbody was throwing 95. You can still hit a baseball 500 feet when somebody is pitching 85, that's why we have a homerun derby contest.

You can say what you want, but baseball has and always will be a progressive sport. It's the same reason why Cy Young has 500 wins, yet no one will ever touch that because Cy Young threw about 75-80 miles an hour and he pitched with no rest, but games weren't 4 hours long with a 40k crown and millions of dollars at stake.

Now how I feel about Bonds is irrelevant, but don't try and say the game of baseball is easier, and Bonds had it easier than Aaron or Ruth because I guarantee you, you'll lose that arguement

Great points. I never made it to any level of semi or pro baseball, but coached it and my younger brother did.

BTW I did mean after Babe hit the HR and after he waddled and touched first.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Need More N2O Mod

I have watced bonds play over the years. I started watching him back in the mid/late 80s everytime they came to play the reds. he was a good player then and what people dont realize is he has always been a great player. the last few year he has bulked up. teams havn't pitched to him in the last 10 years because they were afraid he would hit a hr. i would think if he was taking something then when they test him wouldn't it test positive? and would he still be playing? I am sure at one point or another 85% of the atheltes now a days have taken something to enhance their performance at one time in their life. some of it is illegal and some llegal. There will always be what ifs.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW society and science has evolved to the point that I could **** on a brick and in 5 years they could read my DNA. Hate Bonds for his additude not for his game. Maybe he drank a lot of beer.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

BTW I did mean after Babe hit the HR and after he waddled and touched first.
Ok good.....You seem to know the game at least fairly well so I figured I just misunderstood you.

I don't want to claim to have played pro ball or anything, but I do play college baseball. I've played against guys who start for UT, Standford, and LSU. I've struck out the big 12 freshman of the year on more than 1 occasion. I've hit bombs off 3rd round draft picks etc. My point is, that I've seen what a 95 mile an hour fastball looks like and I've seen what an 85 mile an hour fastball looks like. Believe me, when that pitcher has no idea if his mid 90's fastball is going into the catchers glove or the side of your helmet, it's some scary ****! But at the same time, you can still hit an 85 mile an hour fastball 50 ft past the fence with a good swing on the ball.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mwalls54
I have watced bonds play over the years. I started watching him back in the mid/late 80s everytime they came to play the reds. he was a good player then and what people dont realize is he has always been a great player. the last few year he has bulked up. teams havn't pitched to him in the last 10 years because they were afraid he would hit a hr. i would think if he was taking something then when they test him wouldn't it test positive? and would he still be playing? I am sure at one point or another 85% of the atheltes now a days have taken something to enhance their performance at one time in their life. some of it is illegal and some llegal. There will always be what ifs.
The point is though, that there is overwelming evidence to suggest that he is on steroids. There was leaked trial testimony, people were arrested, and not to mention he has gained almost 50 pounds since when he first came into the league.

There is no doubt the man is a hall of famer. You can't just get on wind-strall(sp? type of steroid used in baseball) and suddenly be able to drop 750 home runs.

Many forget that he is one of only 4(maybe 5 now) players to have hit 40 homeruns and to steal 40 bases in a year. So he was still able to drop bombs without the juice(presumably)

I think what has been most obvious to me is his swing......it hasn't changed one bit. He isn't swinging at that many bad pitches, his walks aren't any higher than any other year. His swing hasn't changed, but when he pulls a ball that 3 years ago would have been in McCovey(sp?) cove, now that ball lands 50 feet shorter.

He's off the juice now and you can tell, his mechanics haven't changed, but his ability to drive to the ball 500 ft. has changed.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Ok good.....You seem to know the game at least fairly well so I figured I just misunderstood you.

I don't want to claim to have played pro ball or anything, but I do play college baseball. I've played against guys who start for UT, Standford, and LSU. I've struck out the big 12 freshman of the year on more than 1 occasion. I've hit bombs off 3rd round draft picks etc. My point is, that I've seen what a 95 mile an hour fastball looks like and I've seen what an 85 mile an hour fastball looks like. Believe me, when that pitcher has no idea if his mid 90's fastball is going into the catchers glove or the side of your helmet, it's some scary ****! But at the same time, you can still hit an 85 mile an hour fastball 50 ft past the fence with a good swing on the ball.

Yor missing my point. I agree with you. You can't compare generations. My little (half)brother in 12th grade had the #1 era in the state for a lefty, was drafted by a major league team, and threw 85mph. Then went to A&M after turning down scholorships. Didn't even try out for the team. He was burn't out.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Yor missing my point.
I'm 99% we're on the same page. You haven't said anything I don't agree with.

Quick Reply: Bonds does it....