THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Anyone into 3D printing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GM1697
We got them at school. Kinda a novelty item, kinda useful for prototyping. I'm actually in the process of trying to make gauge pods and switch panels with one.
That is the one of the reasons i want one. I found places that will digitize whatever piece you want and send you the file. The. You just modify it from there. Then print it.

Also it looks lime fun too.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a couple 3d scanners at work and i havent been overly impressed with either of them. i dont think the technology is quite at a usable level yet. the data that is output needs a TON of manual manipulation to do anything with it. 'supposedly' the scanners we have are some of the best available, but I just cant see that being true. I have been pretty disappointed with their capability and i have seen way better stuff online, like the people that have their body scanned then printed. I tried to scan myself and it was not good enough to print.

I would say though that a good modern 3d printer is much more than a novelty. I have printed many one-off parts that were used in an operational environment.
One of the biggest things we use it for at work is custom bracketry for mounting small computers and circuit boards in small/tight enclosures. its plastic so its non conductive, and its pretty light weight.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

There are several 3d Printers types and brands including ones that will make parts out of metal.

Every company is going to say they are the best at what they do. It comes down to the software and training provided along with Technology settings developed for the material. I was at a NASA faculty and they were printing Nylon models of Parts being used for experimental purposes. They had a working dial caliper, A working crescent wrench, hing assembles, Small scale models of Landing craft and rockets.

Being the wrench was nylon you couldn't actually use it with any real force and the Caliper did not have a dial read out on it either but they are still working models that slide and move like the real parts.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have two of them here at work. One that prints plastic and one that uses gypsum and glue. Its badass for prototype work!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I am an industrial 3d printer tech. Problem I see daily is two things.

1. People forget that CAD software is not easy to use. Many people go to school for 2-4 years to learn how to become proficient at it. Just because you have a 5 axis cnc mill doesn't mean you can mill anything, it just means the machine can.

2. The machines are expensive. They are an alternative to the cost and 3-4 month lead time to have a line tooled to test a product. And a great one at that. But filament/resin is expensive, and anything that can actually print most things and uses support material will start at 5k or more.

I would suggest before ever buying a machine, design and have things printed at a firm like stratasys direct or shape ways. They will make it, using 10x better equipment with skilled operators, and unless you plant to start a service bureau, you will never get your money back. Now if you want a hobby machine to play with and the challenge of printing without support, pick up a rep rap.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jbat35
I am an industrial 3d printer tech. Problem I see daily is two things.

1. People forget that CAD software is not easy to use. Many people go to school for 2-4 years to learn how to become proficient at it. Just because you have a 5 axis cnc mill doesn't mean you can mill anything, it just means the machine can.

2. The machines are expensive. They are an alternative to the cost and 3-4 month lead time to have a line tooled to test a product. And a great one at that. But filament/resin is expensive, and anything that can actually print most things and uses support material will start at 5k or more.

I would suggest before ever buying a machine, design and have things printed at a firm like stratasys direct or shape ways. They will make it, using 10x better equipment with skilled operators, and unless you plant to start a service bureau, you will never get your money back. Now if you want a hobby machine to play with and the challenge of printing without support, pick up a rep rap.

Just my 2 cents.
Well said!!!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i use Quickparts | 3D Systems Quickparts to have my stuff printed, they have ALOT of different processes you can use, you just gotta pay to for it. I like there Instant Quote capability.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Take a look at Stratasys Direct. They have DMLS, Polyjet (capable of full colors and rubber/clear material), FDM (ultem 1010 can withstand exhaust temps, I have chromed Ultem Tips), and many many more.