THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

2013 Silverado/Sierra New Engine Line!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will have to look, at one time there was talks of a 5.5 liter V8 I believe in the next gen trucks. Don't remember the specs though.

And unfortunately Spoolins right, best of my knowledge the 4.5 duramax has been scrapped at least for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Last I heard, the 4.5L Dmax program has been scrapped.
It never was scrapped just put on the self till they where able to pay back what they borrowed from the goverment. They pulled it back off and started working on it again earlier this year from what I have heard.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

yeah back in 07 it was basically done but it is one of their projects on the backburner. would really take back sales from ford as well as others if that were to happen. i know id probably get one not needing one at all, but just to have a diesel since i dont need a 2500.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 4.5 turbodiesel was available when I got my truck, I probably would not have a 6.2. FWIW. Also, last I heard, the 4.5-liter was back on the drawing board and pretty much production ready, and the design is such that it can be bolted in anywhere an LS-engine previously was mounted. 300hp & 520lb/ft to match the 2005 6.6 Duramax trucks. Would be great in a 5000-6000lb truck; I have no use for an 8000-pound pickup truck just for the sake of having a diesel.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

In in for a 4.5l dmax swap whenever it comes out
Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Future Truck: 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 - PickupTrucks.com News

This illustration looks like a Ford Raptor married a Caddy & Sierra.

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I highly doubt that a seven-liter direct-injected V-8 will make it into any upcoming GM vehicle, let alone their trucks.
Even before Atomic said or I read above article Filmart posted, I'd have guessed direct injection. Zach, you're not gettin a 7L DI anything.

They're gonna guard this secret redo cause it's alot of potential $$$ for GM if people buy them instead of competition. Plus, others, namely imports, try to steal their ideas, whether drivetrain tech or whatever & market it before GM to get a leg up on GM.

While a 7L DI may not see a truck, DI is gonna be in a Vette before anything, maybe smaller like say a 6.2 DI, bit it's gonna happen. That's their halo vehicle. Not if it shows, but when, Vette or not. It then trickles to Caddy, they seem to get the nod nowadays before Chevy. Then some pickups I'd think. It'd be a game changer. If the competition is doin it, imports / & exotics, & they're makin better power than a non-DI, when GM does it, it'll be insane. Alot of manf.'s already have tech like multivalves & / or DI, when GM does multivalves if they decide to, they'll make the others cry. Just look what they can do w/. pushrods.

fortplainman, GM always follows similar what Ford does. A turbo Caddy motor, if it were to happen, not sure how durable it is, but that 3.6 could see a TT & it'll go up agaiinst Ford's TT EcoBoost. Unchanged 5.3? I hope not, they need to amp up it's power to compete w/. other, namely Dodge & Yoyoda. Some manf.'s have 7 & 8-spds already. I agree 100%, a minimax dmax engine availablibilty would sell like hotcakes. If I ever buy another truck & they do a 4.5 diesel in a 1/2 ton, offered in a RC or EC, I'll seriously consider a diesel for the 1st time in my life.

Originally Posted by L33Z71
Will have to look, at one time there was talks of a 5.5 liter V8 I believe in the next gen trucks. Don't remember the specs though. ...
That would qualify as a bigger offering like article says, at least compared to the 5.3.

Originally Posted by Tombstone
It never was scrapped just put on the self till they where able to pay back what they borrowed from the goverment. They pulled it back off and started working on it again earlier this year from what I have heard.
+1.

Originally Posted by rjwz28
If the 4.5 turbodiesel was available when I got my truck, I probably would not have a 6.2. FWIW. Also, last I heard, the 4.5-liter was back on the drawing board and pretty much production ready, and the design is such that it can be bolted in anywhere an LS-engine previously was mounted. 300hp & 520lb/ft to match the 2005 6.6 Duramax trucks. Would be great in a 5000-6000lb truck; I have no use for an 8000-pound pickup truck just for the sake of having a diesel.
I thought others would've followed your lead & done the same, gotten a 4.5 TD not a 6.2. If it's a bolt in for LS, theyve spent the R&D $, & the time, just need to come out already.

Amp up that 300hp to say, oh 360-425. That'd be the ****.

Since I don't tow, but like its' potential other bene's, I too don't need a 8000 barge just for sake of diesel ownership, u hit it on the head.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Man Motor club

I know for sure DI is on the way, as they've already released it in several GM models, but I don't see any more 7.0s following after the end of the C6 Z06. I would love to see a 7.0 DI LS, but I don't see that ever happening. They were talking about a 5.5 DI V-8 for the Vette, but I think the upmarket engine from the 5.5 DI would likely be an FI version of the same engine, as the trend from Chevy has been since the introduction of the TVS superchargers on the ZR1, CTS-V, and very soon, on the ZL1. If anything, judging by GM's current model of placing a truck version of the Corvette's base engine as the top engine choice in the half-ton trucks, a truck 5.5-liter DI would be placed as the top (gas) engine choice for the latest GM half-ton.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't be all bad.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

its pretty much a given to me that caddy is getting that motor one way or another haha.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Man Motor club

Which engine? The 5.5 DI or the 4.5 turbodiesel?

Quick Reply: 2013 Silverado/Sierra New Engine Line!!!