Truck of the Quarter Performance Trucks TOTQ Winners (former TOTM winners as well)

July's TOTM Mangled03gmc

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default July's TOTM Mangled03gmc

Mangled03gmc

Wow thanks again for nominating me( again). Hope that I can win this months TOTM but am up against a few other beautiful trucks.
Where it all started. Back in 2003 I bought this truck brand new.. Soon after I knew it wasn't going to be enough with the little 4.8.. So after digging on the web I came across this great site, when it was a lil tiny section on LS1tech.. Back then I didn't have a ton of money to be dumping in the truck, many things now were unheard of.. I picked up a CAI, a set of pacesetter LT's headers, a Hypertech III, kinda cool was that it already had a flowmaster exhaust on it.. It made a good difference for my 4.8.. After and during that time, I opt to lower the truck, put a set of rims on it, along with a few other visual mods, Esky handles, color match'd grille, euro tails.. I was satisfied with the results of the beast..

I rocked the truck like that for a long time, received tons of complements on it. However I was getting a little tired of getting beat by the hemi's( some of them) For a 4.8 with the minor mods it held its own well, I could beat a good bit of rcsb hemi trucks.. So my quest for speed started.. I started reading alot, found that a 6.0 swap would be in my best interest, be the cheapest mod to do as far as power, turbo or FI. I hunted around and found a nice 6.0 in 2006. it was from a wrecked 2500HD 2005 silvy with 11k on it, the price was right so I jumped on it. It sat on the stand for a good while, while I procrastinated, but was ordering hot rod stuff for it all the time. It received a comp 224/224 581/581 112 cam. I pulled the heads off to go through and give a good inspection of it, while they were off I fig I would have them milled some, have a good valve job done to them.. The heads came back to me with new 918 springs, looked great.. I slapped them on and the engine sat for a bit.. My first intensions for the truck was to hit it with nitrous, and getting me into the high, mid 12's.. After a year or so, I decided it was time to stick the 6.0 in the truck. So in december, my buddy came over, we tackled the job. Had the old 4.8 out and the 6.0 in in about 10-11 hours..

I drove the truck around on the stock rear, stock trans and PCM for a good amount of time.. during all this I was doing my reading and decided to order a trans. After some time the stock 4l60 just couldn't handle it and said bye bye.. PERFORMABUILT, is where I went, I was making payments on one, about the time the stocker left, the new one was about pay'd for( good timing right)I also picked a converter from YANK.. While I was at it I decided to go with a new center section and gears. A TRU TRAC, YUKON gears found a home in the rear of the truck, has been flawless ever since..

After i finally got all that taking care of I knew I was in need of a good PCM tune. I found that Justin @ BLACKBEAR PERFORMANCE offered a great tuning set up.. After calling and speaking with him, hearing great things of his work here on the site, I was sold. After a bit I had a good tune in the truck. Next I wanted the gigly gas.. Found a deal and went for it. It was put on the truck soon after..

The button would never get used, as I found a smoking deal, none other then on the site on a used procharger set up.. Guess what it was on the way. It got here,I started the mock up right away. I changed a few things around with the kit, used all black rubber elbows, also stainless and polished tubing..

After all that was buttoned up, the call was made to Justin again for another tune.. It was great, ran pretty well.. First trip to the track with a base tune 6psi and lack of fuel the truck clicked of a 12.3 @ 113.xx with a horrible 60ft.. All during this time, I had constant run ins with idiots that would hit and run, for a good part of 4 years the truck was in primer for the cab back, my dad and myself was constantly fixing it.. So finally I picked up a new bed, had the body work done here at home in the good old garage, where all the other work has been done by my dad, a good friend, myself.. Painted it here, put it on the truck..

Also put the stock rear bumper back on.. So for now I am very happy with the truck and its appearance.. Hanv't been back to the track yet, but she has a 11.5 in this set up no problem. None the less the truck is a blast to drive, the look on high $$$ car owners faces are priceless when you leave them like they are sitting still in a 4400lb tank.. I am leaving a bunch of stuff out, but it would take 3 pages of reading LOL. Thanks to all the guys who voted me in, also to the many people I asked dumb ??? to along the way.. I would prob not have been able to do all this my self with out the help of the guys and people on the site.. Just want to say that this is my daily driver, not a garage queen, has 62k on the body and running gear..

2003 Gmc Sierra
Mods
05 6.0
TSP 224R cam
Mild 317 heads
Procharger @ 10psi/front mount IC
SW's headers
Full stainless 4 inch exhaust
Yank 3200
Performanbuilt lvl2
Yukn-Detroit tru trac TA girdle
Cal trac bars.
Harris speed works nitrous kit
044 Bosch intank pump

Exterior
Center line archers 18x8.5
esky handles
Billet grille, valance
Denali projectors
05 silvy tails
extang tonneau
billet shorty antenna
color matched plastic
Smoothed gate

Interior
Silvy SS cluster
Autometer pro comp gauges
Pioneer avic navi/cd
infinity kappa speakers
denali dash bezal
suade accents in doors

THANKS AGAIN
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats dude.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

congrats, great looking truck
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats, sharp looking truck, i bet it feels good having the totm
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck looks good. Congrats!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats! Maybe I'll get to see the truck in person at a G2G in the fall!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
The House is Rockin'

congrats bro!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Congrats....Well deserved.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 AM
something else

Congratulations! Job well done.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thanks all you who voted for me.. Def feel like I deserved it, been busting my **** to get the truck looking good.. Thanks again..

Quick Reply: July's TOTM Mangled03gmc