Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

TBSS Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBSS Gas Mileage?

I'm kicking around the idea of getting TBSS (AWD if possible) for me and the wife, more the wife than anyone, but just curious what is the best gas milage your guys got with you TBSS with and without mods? I consider myself pretty savy with any type of upgrades or bolt-ons and there's a lot for the TBSS, but what was the most dramatic bolt-on and how much did the mileage improve? If i can't find a low mileage TBSS, then i may be looking into a SS Impala for her.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly...When I picked mine up in 06 it was getting low 15's around town and 16.5ish on the interstate. Not that much difference unless you have a lead foot!

The first thing I did was a tune. I would say that is your best bet to help you with fuel economy. I think I picked up 1 to 1.5 mpg. Not a whole lot of difference, but when you look at some vehicles losing mpg, its not bad. Ive seen guys that run 3:73s instead of the 4:10s and get nearly 20mpg if not more.

Just a thought if the wife is driving it and its not a track truck and is used as a DD.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

The one I had got 12.5 no matter what. I sold it and bought a Prius. Now I can afford to drive out of town. They are awesome comfortable, stable in all weather "I never was in snow" I loved it. I just could not keep letting it drink $500 a month is high octane gas.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Wow..thats horrible fuel mileage! What all did you have done to it?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
Honestly...When I picked mine up in 06 it was getting low 15's around town and 16.5ish on the interstate. Not that much difference unless you have a lead foot!

The first thing I did was a tune. I would say that is your best bet to help you with fuel economy. I think I picked up 1 to 1.5 mpg. Not a whole lot of difference, but when you look at some vehicles losing mpg, its not bad. Ive seen guys that run 3:73s instead of the 4:10s and get nearly 20mpg if not more.

Just a thought if the wife is driving it and its not a track truck and is used as a DD.
So you were getting over 16mpg in the city after a tune? That's awesome, I never saw close to that when I was just tune, CAI and muffler.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

It fluxuates from 14.5ish to around 15.5ish in the city. I may pick up a little on the interstated cruising at 70. But not enough to brag about.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Wow..thats horrible fuel mileage! What all did you have done to it?
Stock except for drop in K N air filter.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It fluxuates from 14.5ish to around 15.5ish in the city. I may pick up a little on the interstated cruising at 70. But not enough to brag about.
Still, for a 6.0 SUV, that's great city mpg.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15's around town and 16.5ish really isnt that bad, if you step back and look at the big pic that its a SUV with V8!

If i bought one, i would do a tune and true CAI kit and exhaust and that's about it to improve mileage for her, but lucky for her she really don't even need that, cause her work is about 12mins away and a weekly trip back and forth to work for a week she drives is less than 70 i believe. But we would want to drive it on the weekends and take it out of town to visit or on vacation, so i understand owning a TBSS would be expensive for fuel and i see the maintenance being high too for the AWD version.

Yes! this would be a DD for her and a weekend toy for me!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

For hopping around town like your said, its a great little SUV. But vacations...ehhhh....iffy!

I drive mine for work (4-5 days out of the month) and get reembursed for fuel costs and eats up some gas for sure!

Quick Reply: TBSS Gas Mileage?